Open Club  ·  31 members  ·  Free

Travel and Culture

Packing for a long trip -- argh!

browneyedgirl36

Hey everyone --

In a few weeks, I will be leaving the U.S. for Europe, where I will be for a few months for work. Right now, I am contemplating what to bring, and I have been scouring the web for baggage restrictions -- number of pieces, maximum weights, maximum dimensions, etc.

The airline I am flying allows two pieces of checked luggage (free), not to exceed 23kg (about 50 lbs) each, and not to exceed 158 linear centimeters (62 inches total when you add length, width, and depth together). I have a luggage scale that is supposed to be pretty accurate within about 1-2 pounds, so that helps. One of my bags is well under the maximum dimensions and at this point weighs only 21 pounds (almost totally packed), which is great. My other bag, which I haven't packed yet, is of concern to me. It already weighs 15 pounds, empty (!) AND is fairly large, clocking in at about 60 linear inches (just two inches under the maximum allowed dimensions, if my measurements are accurate).

The fees for oversized/overweight bags are ridiculous -- something like 5 Euro per kilo over the maximum, with a minimum charge of 30 Euro! It is the only decent-sized suitcase I have, and as this trip is going to be several months, I can't take a really small bag. If I take three smaller bags, I'll be charged for an extra bag anyway, so I might as well take the larger one, but I admit I'm worried that because it is SO close to the maximum dimensions (how I ended up with this gigantic suitcase is beyond me -- it didn't seem so big when I purchased it!) I'm afraid the airline will jack me up for it and charge me my life savings. I have flown domestically (to Hawaii) with the "gigantor" suitcase, and I had no problem with the dimensions (the requirements are the same for Hawaiian Air as they are for the airline I'm flying to Europe), but apparently I stuffed too much into it and it was indeed slightly over 50 lbs.

I am trying very hard to pack "light" -- I will have a washing machine (but no dryer) where I will be living, so I can wash clothes and hang them to dry. I have a color scheme already worked out -- all bottoms are black or gray, black shoes only (I'm going to try to limit myself to 4 pair -- one pair tennis shoes, one pair pumps, one pair boots and one pair flats), and accessories (tights, scarves -- small, lightweight stuff) to make my outfits LOOK different even when I wear the same thing several times in one week (This is something hard for me -- I am a clotheshorse in general and NEVER wear the same outfit twice in one week).

Any suggestions? As I am going to be living there, I have to bring more stuff than I would if I were just a tourist (i.e. computer, school books, etc.) One thing I am doing is bringing my minibook instead of my laptop, as it will be much lighter (only about 4 pounds) and will take up a lot less room in my carry-on bag.

Any suggestions for packing for a fairly long trip so that I don't get (over) charged for excessive luggage? One thought I had was to put as much of the "heavy" stuff (shoes, hairdryer, etc.) in my smaller bag as possible because it would take a LOT to get that bag even close to 50 lbs., and put all the other stuff -- the stuff that doesn't weigh as much per item -- in the larger bag.

Any thoughts anyone has would be great. I have never taken a trip that was longer than two weeks, and I'm stressing a bit over this.

Hey BEG,

Safe travels, hun, and I hope you enjoy your stay in Europe (!) I am so jealous!

Anyways, in addition to working, will you be travelling as well? If so, I think clothing is the most expendable ... Plus you might want to factor in the fact that you WILL want to shop for stuff while you're there. So you MAY end up having to pay for overweight at least one way of your trip.

As Waveseer said above, you may want to consider shipping BUT it may take up to one month (and sometimes even longer) if you "ship" it. And there's always the danger of it going astray. If you send it via airmail, you will get your stuff more quickly BUT that will be pricey as well.

Like Sooky said, you might want to forego on the smaller stuff and buy it over there ... the best candidates for this are stuff like shampoo, conditioner, body lotion, and other toiletries, which weighs quite a bit.

One thing is, I dont know how much money you want to spend bc money spent on even these little items CAN add up. Plus, if you are in a new city and are not familiar with stores and language, etc., it may take you a while to find stuff that you need ASAP.

I am trying very hard to pack "light" -- I will have a washing machine (but no dryer) where I will be living, so I can wash clothes and hang them to dry. I have a color scheme already worked out -- all bottoms are black or gray, black shoes only (I'm going to try to limit myself to 4 pair -- one pair tennis shoes, one pair pumps, one pair boots and one pair flats), and accessories (tights, scarves -- small, lightweight stuff) to make my outfits LOOK different even when I wear the same thing several times in one week (This is something hard for me -- I am a clotheshorse in general and NEVER wear the same outfit twice in one week).

From this list, would you consider dropping your boots, flats, and accessories?

Are you packing any books? Can you cut from those?

When I've packed for trips that lasted for more than a month, I usually found that I packed way more clothes and books than I realistically have the time to wear/read. When I pack, I think I'll need certain items for certain occasions but it usually turns out NOT to be the case. Plus, as I said above, I end up buying new things that I (justify by saying that I) can only buy at this new place.

Also, you may want to desist from packing your "nice" things -- clothes, jewelery-wise, as they may get lost OR ruined during the trip [rarely BUT sometimes, your luggage gets damaged, wet, misplaced -- or something might leak (e.g. shampoo, lotion)].

Consider taking stuff that are nice enough but you wouldnt mind throwing out on your return trip home.

Have fun!!!!!

Hello - I lived in France for a year, and had a blast!!

Travel light-ish. You can buy things there, so take small toiletries in travel bottles and buy there. Give yourself a budget for cheap t shirts etc. Don't take too many shoes! Wear everything that's heavy (boots). Remember to leave room for all the things that you want to bring back! Although of course you can dump clothes there.

Your colour scheme sounds good - keep it basic (black!) and liven up with jewellery and scarves.

Thanks, All!

I know I have a tendency to over-pack. I have done this in the past and regretted it.

I do plan to mail some things ahead of time -- my books (which I have to have, as I will be teaching and need them for my classes), some art supplies and a few other things. I am going to ship them UPS or Fed Ex, which I know will be very expensive, but I need to get them there quickly and be able to track them, so I am going to have to suck up the expense.

You're right on the toiletries and stuff. I am bringing small travel-sizes of toothpaste, soap, etc. just to get me started. After that, I will buy stuff. I am actually looking forward to trying out the *local* lotions, shampoos, etc.

I hope to be able to buy some clothes when I'm there, but I have to be careful --I can't afford to spend a ton on stuff like that, especially since I want to be able to bring a few nice things home for friends and family, and I do have to be on somewhat of a budget so that BEG36 doesn't have to file for bankruptcy upon her return. Something tells me I will end up paying for a third bag on the way home.

As far as cutting certain things out -- this will be hard. I struggle with the idea of wearing the same outfit repeatedly -- I know, it's silly. I have to get past that. Plus, I have to think of the fact that I will have no clothes dryer, so I have to hang things to dry. I have, however, chosen clothes that for the most part WILL dry quickly -- cotton and synthetic stuff as opposed to jeans, wool, etc. And, I am bringing a few things that I would have no problem throwing/giving away before I leave or leaving behind.

Another issue -- seasons. It will be very cold when I get there, and much warmer when I leave. I am bringing a mixture of long and short-sleeved things, mostly lighter weight stuff that can be layered. I am leaving the heavy wool sweaters, jeans, etc. at home. But, I am also bringing long underwear, a waterproof jacket, boots, etc. because it will rain, for sure, and perhaps even snow, and the last time I was there (just for a short trip) I was ill-prepared and froze my butt off in the rain and snow.

I have a few weeks to re-consider stuff. I know my tendency to overpack, and I know I need to get past that. The fact that I'm even getting four months' worth of stuff into two suitcases blows my mind. That's progress for me!

Hey BEG,

Sounds like you're well prepared!

Like HP said, maybe you can wear the more heavier stuff on your trip out there, since it will be cold there anyway -- like your heavy coat and boots, two light sweaters, etc. ?

Wearing extra stuff always works for me bc I am prone to cold and I always get cold on the plane and ask for extra blankets (even in the summer!). I dont mind the bulkiness and I never take anything off so I dont create extra things I need to keep track of. BUT dont do this if you think you'll get uncomfortable, especially since your flight is like what ... 10+ hours, right?

Hey BEG,

Sounds like you're well prepared!

Like HP said, maybe you can wear the more heavier stuff on your trip out there, since it will be cold there anyway -- like your heavy coat and boots, two light sweaters, etc. ?

Wearing extra stuff always works for me bc I am prone to cold and I always get cold on the plane and ask for extra blankets (even in the summer!). I dont mind the bulkiness and I never take anything off so I dont create extra things I need to keep track of. BUT dont do this if you think you'll get uncomfortable, especially since your flight is like what ... 10+ hours, right?

Yep! 11 hours total. Yikes!

I am going to bring my heavy wool coat on the plane, and I like the idea of wearing a couple of lightweight sweaters. I may wear my boots on the plane, too, even though I will have to take them off and put them back on at security. You're right -- the plane is usually cold, and I usually need a blanket anyway.

I'm trying to be very sparing with my carry on luggage, too. Since I can bring one carry on and one "personal item," I will be bringing my laptop case with my minibook in it, and my purse, which counts as my "personal item." I bought a fairly large travel purse so that I could put my iPod, camera, wallet, make-up, and baggie of toiletries in it, among other things. My minibook is a lot smaller than my laptop case, so I will be using the extra room in the laptop case for books, magazines, and a few other things to use on the plane.

I am going to be SO proud of myself if I can get there with two suitcases that are under the maximum weight limit. (Even if I have to pay for a third suitcase on the way home. I'm actually bringing a duffle bag, folded up, in my big suitcase just in case).

Next month, I'm departing for an open-ended, round-the-world wandering experience.

I'm bringing one trekking-style backpack, ~20 lbs fully packed, and one small backpack, ~5 lbs fully loaded.

That will be the sum of my possessions for a minimum of 18 months.

I'm not sure what I can give you, in terms of advice, but if you have any questions at all, I'd be happy to answer specifics.

I suspect that our traveling and living styles are very different, but exposure to another perspective might help ease some of your anxieties.

P.S. HALF THE CLOTHES, TWICE THE MONEY. This is THE BEST packing advice I've EVER gotten. Don't buy stuff before you go... wait until you get there. Unless it's contact lens solution.

Archived