I'm guessing this doesn't bode well for me, huh...?

MattW

I could really use some advice, because I really have no idea what I'm doing. I'm in my second year of college (community college, by the way), here, and I really have no idea what I want to do. The first year, I spent both semesters working towards a computer-related associate degree, but was informed by an academic adviser at the school that if I chose to continue on towards a bachelor's degree in the future, most of the courses I'd be taking wouldn't transfer over. Around the time, I also got it into my head from various sources that an associate's degree is "almost worthless", so I started doing research on what classes I could take that would eventually transfer over to a university for me to pursue a bachelor's degree at.

The only thing I landed on was a bachelor's degree in computer engineering technology. I figured I'd roll with that, and transfer over after a few more semesters at community college. This past semester, I've been taking those classes that will transfer over, but I'm just not sure computer engineering is for me. It doesn't help matters much that I'm required to take two calculus classes and two physics classes (both of which I'm awful at; I'm struggling even in the precalculus class I'm taking now), which is also turning me off on the idea. All I really know is that I want to get into a computer-related field.

Doing a bit more research at my community college's website, I found another associate's degree program that doesn't seem so bad (Associate of Applied Science degree in Electrical-Electronic Engineering Technology with a concentration in Computer Networking Hardware). Thing is, I don't know if I'd definitely be that bad off with only an associate's degree, or not. Would it really be that bad? The sad thing is, even if I do go for that associate's degree program, by the time I attain it, I'll probably have spent four years in college, all for a two year degree. On the other hand, even if I pursue a bachelor's degree, it'd probably take me an additional 3-4 years on top of the two I've already taken, making it 5-6 years for a four year degree. So, either way, because of my constant switching around, it'll take me longer than it should have to get whatever degree I decide on.

For those that don't want to read my giant wall of text, I guess the basic thing I'm asking is, is it really that bad to go for an associate's degree (at a community college, no less) rather than a bachelor's degree?

Probably a Bachelor's degree is better..it would open more doors.

Definitely.

I'm the queen of changing majors. I can't honestly tell you how many times I've changed my mind. From medicine to veterinary medicine to international relations to Spanish to social work to art history and finally, now, to sociology. What I'm saying is it's okay to change your mind.

I say transfer to the university to pursue a bachelor's, transfer the credits you have acquired at the CC and go from there. Any university is going to require gen-eds and electives so the credits you have now may count towards that. Talk to an adviser, a career counselor, whoever. My university offered free extensive testing to help pick a major. Once you get accepted to your university, perhaps that would be an option.

Nope, not bad at all in a tech field. Liberal arts won't support infrastructures. I contracted for years without finishing school. My first project taught me enough to parlay into more learning on the job. It was only AFTER I'd landed a vice president role running global projects for a large financial firm that returning to finish school even occurred to me.

Not saying a bachelor's isn't useful, or even required for some promotions, its just that lots of companies will pay your tuition. You can also transfer an associate's into one of the many accelerated programs that universities run on weekends and nights. This will enable you to shoot for a combo plate, such as layering a business degree on top of your tech foundation. (My associates' are in e-business and web development, my bachelor's, communications, and my master's is in management.)

Most companies will also send to you to technical programs for certification in the hardware/software products they purchase.

Point is, look outside of traditional programs. Start temping in IT jobs--even if it's help desk support, just for exposure to people who can mentor you (they're very generous) and for good company listings on your resume.

Write more if it helps, and in your corner.

I think it depends on what you want to end up doing. I'm in Canada, the equivalent of an associate's degree here can get you working in an IT department, helpdesk, support, maybe some network admin. stuff. If you're lucky you might be able to land a job as a programmer.

If you want to full out develop software or hardware, you need at a minimum a bachelor's degree. Any decent hardware oriented program will require you to take lots of math and physics. Software you can get away with less math and no physics.

Unless you like repetitive work and have a masochistic streak the size of the Grand Canyon, I would stay clear of IT support work. It takes a really special breed of person to do that kind of work long term, and I do mean special. I only lasted about a week and half before I quit in frustration. All this to say, I'd recommend the bachelor's, you will be more competitive in the job market.

Definitely go for the bachelor's.

Also, if you are bad at calculus and physics you need to avoid any degree with "engineering" in the title.

My thoughts exactly. "Engineering" always means major math! These days, what worked in past years no longer goes. Bachelor's are almost a requirement to get hired. "I had no college and worked my way up" is a fantasy these days. Bite the bullet, do the math. Get a tutor if you must. This is too important for you to blow off because of a stupid math class.

Are there any computer-related bachelor's degrees to look into that aren't that math/ physics-heavy, then?

I'm in Canada, so this may or may not be that relevant to your situation, but look into pure computer science programs. When I was in school, several years ago, I knew many computer science students who were effectively arts majors. They would graduate with a Bachelor of Arts rather than a Bachelor of Science degree. You still have to take math but it is minimal and physics would be optional, maybe a "physics for arts majors" course or something.

The reality is the majority of computer science jobs (software development) do not require you use any advanced math on the job. Knowing a lot of math will make you better at certain tasks, but if you ultimately want to go into the management side of things then not having advanced math won't be that detrimental.

It depends. An Associates in Network Technology is more likely to get you a job than a Bachelor's or even a Master's in, say, French Literature.

The last time I got laid off (2005,) the CAD guys with their Associates degrees didn't get the axe, but I did with my BS in Mechanical Engineering. So you never know. I'm guessing some of them made more money than I did too.

The Associates in Network Technology won't transfer to a 4-year program? Because if it does, you'd get the best of both worlds.

Archived