It shouldn't matter, so why?

I had a dream about my ex fiancee this morning right before I woke up. She and her mother and sister came to my house (actually, my mother and stepdad's house, where I'm staying until I get on my feet again) to inform me that Jess had given birth to a baby and it was mine, and to work out the details of that sort of thing. It was very uncomfortable.

However, the reason it's been bothering me is the way it ended: Jess had said something to me that really hurt (can't remember what now), and then my stepdad (who I really don't care much for) grabbed her by the arm very agressively and was saying something quietly to her through clenched teeth. She was crying. When I saw that, I ran over and pushed him off of her, turned to ask her if she was alright, and then we kissed. It upset me so much that I awoke with a start and sat straight up in bed.

I'm not the kind of person who puts too much stock in dreams. I mean, I know it's where we deal with the possibilities that go on in the back of our minds all day, but in reality it shouldn't matter what the dream was because it doesn't affect anything outside of my mind. Still, this has really been messing with me today. I thought I was doing well. I haven't been thinking about her as much lately and I'm actually looking forward to where my life is headed for the first time since we broke up over three months ago.

So why has this completely ruined my day? How much longer am I going to go through this before I can relax?

I guess I just needed to get this out there. Like I said, it's been bugging me all day and I've been pretty busy so I haven't gotten a chance to talk to anybody about it. Thanks for reading, this got pretty long pretty quickly.

I have no knowledge in the field of dream interpetation, but here's my 2 cents.

The dream represents being in a place with people you don't want to be with i.e.; your stepdad.

You find your living arrangement undesirable because of him and it is bringing up images of people you would rather be without but are temporarily stuck with. Your stepdad in the physical sense and your ex in the emotional sense.

Archived