Why are some people so arrogant about their looks?

Shinobie

I've just been wondering since there are a lot of self-centered arrogant people who think they look so great. Then I think why do they feel so special when some greater being gave them those looks such as their face(not your body which you can work on with exercise and self control) that they did nothin for. I'm also wondering if other people have ever thought of this before. I also thought that most people who brag about something do so because they have achieved themselves, not given to them the day they were set on this earth. It's probably only some of us cursed with bad looks for our lives who think this way or just me.

One always tries to make up on one end what hs/she is severely missing on the other. Under achievements and deficiencies in other areas of life such as intellectual, spiritual, psychological development often lead the person to focus on, perfect and output what side they have at best. For some, very unfortunately, all it is is their looks. Where a balanced individual would jump to engage in conversation about carreer and lifes stories/ accomplishments, the "reject" having only their looks and not much else to show for themselves has no choice but to flaunt the only thing going for them usually exaggerating it to an extreme you call arrogance.

If I may also add something from experience. I use to be quite arrogant when it comes to looks when I was much younger (16-24) and I can tell you that is because I was insecure in other areas of life. I didn't do well in school and didn't have many acomplishments in life. The only thing people would feed me every day was how good looking I am. I would have girls try to hit on me in bars or cafes, people complimenting me and that led to an over inflated ego when it comes to appearance yet all other areas were pushed to the side. It wasn't until I finished university, got an amazing job and did some very positive things in life (developed my other sides) is when my arrogance subsided when it comes to appearances and now when I look back I pity myself for the way I use to behave. Telling you from experience it is a trap that is easy to fall into if you are considered attractive by others but fortunately for many it is simply a phase they grow out of when they smarten up. Hope this helps

Don't waste your time wondering how other people think of themselves.

What are people doing exactly... do they say , "I am so wonderful" or "I am really good looking"

I have rarely, if ever , heard anyone talk like that.

you say you think you are bad looking, so it sounds to me like a bit of sour grapes.

we all end up old and wrinkly in the end so live and let live if someone is arrogant about the way they look thats their problem. i find those who are not one of the "pretty people" are much more fun to talk to and the older you get the less looks factor in to anything.

I can't say I've heard many (if any) people discuss their own looks that way; maybe I'm naive or deaf to it, but either way, it's spared me from being preoccupied with whatever other people think of themselves...

Except for the put downs. I've heard plenty of that, and from perfectly attractive people who either can't see themselves that way or are fishing for compliments. Either way, it's no skin off my back to speak in terms that help build someone up. Chances are, if they're at all preoccupied with their own looks, they're not free enough to enjoy more meaningful stuff. Why would saying something nice to them put me out in any way?

I've just been wondering since there are a lot of self-centered arrogant people who think they look so great. Then I think why do they feel so special when some greater being gave them those looks such as their face(not your body which you can work on with exercise and self control) that they did nothin for. I'm also wondering if other people have ever thought of this before. I also thought that most people who brag about something do so because they have achieved themselves, not given to them the day they were set on this earth. It's probably only some of us cursed with bad looks for our lives who think this way or just me.

human nature, i guess.

Sorry I just thought of this since over my life I've been put down about my looks whether it was subtle or just straight out. Its just that I don't truly get why people put down someone or brag about their looks when its not even my fault that this is the way I look.

well, I think some of the other posters are right in saying, that people often do this, when they have no other achievements in their life!

Then, again, I have known some very beautiful people, who don't even consider themselves so, cuz they have other hobbies or interests and skills and what they see in the mirror is not a big priority to them.

Those people have it together.

The ones who think they are God's Gift to the Earth, cuz Mother Nature blessed them with good looks, come off, eventually as shallow, insensitive and callous.

So, when you encounter people who think it's "cool" to put you down for your looks Shinobe, remember this, there are some people who always has to make someone else feel worse about themselves, in order to feel better about THEMSELVES!

It is called having low self-esteem!

And you can have low self-esteem, even if you are good looking. The ones who think alot of themselves, and it may or may NOT have to do with their looks, feel NO NEED to put others down. They are happy with themselves and they end up spreading good cheer, not putdowns.

So.. here's a phrase to remember, "Consider the Source!" If they are mean-spirited and hot-looking, they are really pretty ugly inside.

Just wait, cuz one day they will lose their looks and they will be stuck with NOTHING!

I'd much rather date a guy who does NOT think he's all that, than one who is obviously SO AWARE of the fact he's good looking, that is primarily what he talks about.

Humbleness is DEFINITELY a virture Shinobie. Remember that... Even great men or great looking men can be humble. Those are the ones to go for, and forget these snotty, stuck up "hotties" who think they do no wrong cuz god graced them with a pretty or handsome face.

Archived