My date "called in sick" an hour before...should I believe her?

wazza

I met a girl online a few days ago accidentally and I think she's pretty cool. Last night was a somewhat awkward IM session cause I was tired and distracted, but then again I often feel less confident about myself in those situations than I should. Today she texted me an hour before we were supposed to meet up saying she was feeling sick and that we'd reschedule, and apologized for the short notice. I'm hoping that the vow to reschedule is genuine. Do you think I should believe her or just move on?

A broken date is a deal breaker in my book. UNLESS they offer an alternate date right away.

Why were you IMing when you were supposed to meet today?

Disapear before the first date, so you don't give them a reason to cancel on you.

A broken date is a deal breaker in my book. UNLESS they offer an alternate date right away.

Agreed. If I really was feeling sick and cancelled a date, the first thing I'd do (if I was truly interested) is offer up my next available day/night so they'd know I was being genuine about not feeling well.

If she doesn't contact me to reschedule within the next couple of days should I say anything like "so when should we blah blah blah" or should I just take that as a rejection?

Personally, I'd take it as a rejection. Since she's the one who cancelled, she should be the one to initiate the next available time to get together.

what does that mean?!

Take a risk, behave without caution. For example, Gordon always says exactly what he thinks; he never minds leading with his chin. This term alludes to a boxer leaving his chin, a vulnerable point, unprotected. [Mid-1900s]

Take a risk, behave without caution. For example, Gordon always says exactly what he thinks; he never minds leading with his chin. This term alludes to a boxer leaving his chin, a vulnerable point, unprotected. [Mid-1900s]

That was pretty fascinating. I'm glad I asked!!! Thanks for explaining.

no not yet but she keeps reassuring me that she's truly ill and immobile in bed. I'm on the fence with this one

I suppose this could be true. People do get sick. OR MAYBE- She got a bad hair cut! ahh hahhahaha Okay, sorry. See CD's post.

Seriously speaking though, maybe she just isn't in the mood. I have wanted to cancel dates because I'm not "in the mood" for that type of thing (although I force myself to go through with it)... maybe that's what she is feeling. If she agrees to meet up again though then I say good. Maybe you can just ask her when she would like to reschedule. If she really wanted to see you, she would be happy to reschedule now.

Agreed. If I really was feeling sick and cancelled a date, the first thing I'd do (if I was truly interested) is offer up my next available day/night so they'd know I was being genuine about not feeling well.

Maybe if you're feeling sick, the most pressing thought in your head is ... being sick, not your social life. Just because they don't offer detailed plans for a raincheck doesn't mean they aren't interested in the future. Let them get back to equilibrium before any assumptions are made.

And there's nothing wrong with one follow-up. "Hey, hope you're feeling better. When are you free this week?" After that, as it was brilliantly put, is "leading with the chin."

Maybe if you're feeling sick, the most pressing thought in your head is ... being sick, not your social life. Just because they don't offer detailed plans for a raincheck doesn't mean they aren't interested in the future. Let them get back to equilibrium before any assumptions are made.

And there's nothing wrong with one follow-up. "Hey, hope you're feeling better. When are you free this week?" After that, as it was brilliantly put, is "leading with the chin."

completely agree. follow up and if she isn't receptive to that then she isn't interested. But don't discard her for this. It's so early in the game you can't really tell.

no not yet but she keeps reassuring me that she's truly ill and immobile in bed. I'm on the fence with this one

in that case, well, i might send her an email or a text in a few days to see if she is feeling better. i agree that she should offer an alternative time to meet if she is truly interested.

i agree with not IMing at length with anyone. especially if you are meeting up that night!

Archived