Now I know why I don't drink coffee...

I'm not a big coffee drinker. In fact, I drink coffee MAYBE once a month, if that, and it's usually in the form of a coffee drink at Starbucks or some other coffee chain. My caffeinated drink of choice, generally, is diet soda -- either Diet Pepsi, Diet Coke, or Coke Zero. (Yes, I know diet soda is bad for me...you'll get no argument from me on that point.) Today, I met up with a friend at a coffee shop and had a latte with soy milk. I thought I'd get it to perk myself up a bit, and well, let's just say it perked me up TOO much. Folks, I feel like CRAP. I am totally jittery, and I feel a bit nauseous. Granted, I did have a couple cans of Diet Pepsi today, too, but I can usually drink several of those in one day and not feel like this (unless I haven't eaten). I know that coffee has significantly more caffeine than soda, and I'm wondering if it was just too much for me. The medium latte has 2 shots of espresso, I think. Two shots, and I feel like I'm going to jump out of my skin. I ate breakfast, lunch, AND dinner today, so I had plenty of food in my stomach before I drank the latte.

Does anyone else get this way from coffee? I have before, but it was from a mocha (a ton of caffeine PLUS a bucketload of sugar in the chocolate syrup), and that was when I drank one on an empty stomach.

Ugh. This sucks. I'll probably be awake ALL freakin' night now. Note to self: No more coffee. EVER.

Does anyone know of an antidote to caffeine????

BEG36 will be staring at the ceiling, wide awake, all night tonight.

Munch on some bread. The buzz you are feeling is a sugar low. The carbs will help.

Lots and lots of water.

Do some relaxing activity like breathing exercises or reading a book.

Your computer will actually keep you up. The light from the computer tricks your brain into thinking it should be awake right now. So, take a 30 minute break and see if you start to get a bit sleepy.

I drank coffee like twice in my life, I know people who drink it about five times daily, thats just crazy to me, I saw report on the news stating that coffee is actually good for you in some ways, even marathon runners drink it before a workout.

So on that note, I can understand why you've got the jitters, take your own advice, and stay away from the coffee. and drink plenty of water.

you got like that with... latte?

whoa. I can drink way more than that and not lose a second of sleep (don't count on me being awake right now, I'm being unhealthy and sleeping my mornings out - and I don't need coffee for it).

water helps it get away from your system, sure, but going for a 30 minute non-stop exercise can spend you up enough to make you crawl to bed as if nothing happened...

you got like that with... latte?

whoa. I can drink way more than that and not lose a second of sleep (don't count on me being awake right now, I'm being unhealthy and sleeping my mornings out - and I don't need coffee for it).

water helps it get away from your system, sure, but going for a 30 minute non-stop exercise can spend you up enough to make you crawl to bed as if nothing happened...

That's probably not good for your system.

Stretching will probably be better.

I drink coffee so much I sometimes forget that it's a stimulant! I regularly drink a pot of coffee every morning, usually accompanied by one or two espressos or americanos during the day. Then I end the day by relaxing with a cup of coffee after dinner! It doesn't do anything for me anymore, but i'll tell ya, you don't want to be anywhere near me if I get up in the morning to find there's not coffee beans!!! lol

I think orange juice might help, of a couple glasses of water and some bread as another poster said. If you drink beer (highly doubtful but thought i'd throw it in anyways) that zonks me right out.

I drink coffee so much I sometimes forget that it's a stimulant! I regularly drink a pot of coffee every morning, usually accompanied by one or two espressos or americanos during the day. Then I end the day by relaxing with a cup of coffee after dinner! It doesn't do anything for me anymore, but i'll tell ya, you don't want to be anywhere near me if I get up in the morning to find there's not coffee beans!!! lol

I think orange juice might help, of a couple glasses of water and some bread as another poster said. If you drink beer (highly doubtful but thought i'd throw it in anyways) that zonks me right out.

It'll also REALLY mess you up.

Coffee is a stimulant and alcohol is a depressant. That is so much stress on your heart.

Sorry, I don't have the anti dote.. Just that I'm anti-coffee too.

I've read places it's good for memory. But I prefer not to get in the habit due to the teeth staining and whatnot.

When people go on "detox diets" they usually stop coffee too so I figured it's probably not good for you.

I drink sugar drink mixes ONCE in a while for an energy boost- like Nestea.

That's probably not good for your system.

Stretching will probably be better.

I dunno, because cafeine is a chemical substance that just doesn't vanish, and stretching doesn't burn that much stuff away. water and exercise will speed up the metabolism of whatever is still left, so she can pee/sweat it out and sleep. maybe even less, 5 minutes of a running still motion could make it, depends on how fit she is.

(I feel so intoxicated right now - nestea is like water to me when it comes to cafeine X p)

coffe is good for a lot of things, just like wine, it's just that you should not have it more than a little bit, once a day. I'm working on reducing it to once every other day - not made me any good, but no bad either. who knows...

I dunno, because cafeine is a chemical substance that just doesn't vanish, and stretching doesn't burn that much stuff away. water and exercise will speed up the metabolism of whatever is still left, so she can pee/sweat it out and sleep. maybe even less, 5 minutes of a running still motion could make it, depends on how fit she is.

First of all, speeding up the metabolism by rubbing will make her even more awake. It just doesn't burn off energy and then make you tired. It'd have to be an exhausting work out to do that to you.

And, second of all, caffiene stimulates the mind. That's what is making her wide awake. The body is jittery from the lack of sugar, not the caffiene. She can exercise all she wants but that caffiene isn't going to stop stimulating her mind unless time passes.

Water will help. It won't make her pee it out. But, will help restore the bodies natural balance. She's probably really dehydrated right now.

BEG, I only experienced the "buzz" that you're talking about twice.

First time: back when I first started to drink coffee (and perhaps hadn't built up much tolerance for caffeine), I drank one cup on an empty stomach and I felt like someone was twirling me around and round and round and round ... I think I sat in a daze for a really long time before my friends noticed and made me chug down some water to flush out the caffeine.

Second time: I was studying in a coffeeshop and had just finished my third cup of coffee, when a friend came by to chat. I talked non-stop and laughed obnoxiously loud and was generally bouncing off the walls. My friend thought I was hilarious and laughed at how animated I was. [He even bought me those chocolate covered espresso beans for laughs, lol]

But of course, I soon crashed afterwards and I was soooo tired that I slept for like 18 hours straight.

If you can avoid caffeine, that's great! I wish I could too but my caffeine addiction is my favorite vice and I dont think I will be able to kick the habit anytime soon.

Hope you get *some* sleep?

Thanks for the responses, guys.

I think I am just totally NOT used to the amount of caffeine in coffee. My understanding is that one cup of coffee has about 4 times the amount of caffeine that one can of soda has -- and that's regular coffee, NOT espresso. This latte had two shots of espresso. I once heard the person in front of me at Starbucks ask for a mocha with FIVE shots...WTH???? I'd have a freakin' heart attack!

I think I will take the advice and drink some water. One thing I've noticed after drinking coffee is I generally feel very thirsty. Usually, when I'm at Starbucks and I order a coffee drink, I order an ice water, too.

I actually cancelled my first class in the morning because I anticipate I'll not get enough sleep tonight! I haven't cancelled class all semester long -- not even once.

Funny, but I have the same problem with alcohol. I have such a low tolerance for it now because I don't drink very much, and if I have more than two drinks in an evening, I feel like crap -- my heart races, my mouth is dry, etc. YUCK. I've pretty much given that up, too, except for an occasional glass of wine.

I've experienced the exact same thing, Ellie! The second one is totally familiar -- me talking really loudly and quickly and not realizing how buzzed I was off of the caffeine. LOL! I think there was just so much sugar in there, too, that it threw my body into some freaked-out state.

I'm starting to come down from the caffeine high a bit, but I still feel a little nauseous. I still can't believe people who can drink 5 shots of espresso. Seriously, they'd be calling an ambulance for me. I'd be like Kramer on "Seinfeld" when he won that lawsuit and got a lifetime supply of lattes from the coffee place -- bouncing all over, talking really fast, agitated.

I started drinking coffe when i was five, and i've had at least one cup everyday since then. is that bad?? caffeine hasn't ever had any negative effects on me like browneyedgirl described

Probably because your body got used to it with time.

However, prolonged use of coffee can lead to anxiety problems, depression, fatigue, insomnia, IBS, dental stains, heartburn, and calcium deficiency.

I am hyper sensitive to caffeine, which is why I actually went cold turkey for many many years. I have to add in green tea due to my current anemia situation or I would be an irritable mess.

For me, caffeine enhances whatever mood I am in - or if I have no mood, it makes me hapy and bubbly. unfortunately, one cup of green tea stays in my system for up to 18 hours so I have had insomnia since I had to start drinking it again. Hoping I'll get my iron levels up above 20 again soon so I can go back to cold turkey. I hate caffeine.

I am EXTREMELY sensitive to caffeine or anything that can affect my body chemistry. Doctors have to give me child sized doses of drugs to avoid severe reactions for example. Caffeine speeds up my heartbeat - normally my pulse is very slow and I have very low blood pressure (rarely even top 100). I have caffeine and my pulse is running in triple digits and I can't sit still, I'm jumping around.

BEG36 - I have no tolerance for alcohol any longer either. 2 beers is enough to get me tipsy. Plus living at altitude now makes even 1 get me a buzz. I switched to Michelob Ultra Light or I drink VERY slowly (like 1 regular beer in two hours). I cannot tolerate hard liquor at all (one shot, I'm drunk) and wine I have to treat like beer (why do bars want to give you like 12 oz of wine in a glass now? That's 4 servings)

Archived