Worried that what i am about to do is illegal but im so desperate for money

Hi all,

i need some advice, im not sure what i am about to do is illegal. About a week ago i spotted an advert for part time work, it just said i would process cheques and do general admin, so i filled in my address. I was sent 3 500 hundred us dollars on VISA travelers cheques, the guy has emailed me saying that i have to sign and date them, and then go to the bank and countersign them and have the money deposited into my account, i then transfer it to there account but keep 100 hundred for my services, is this illegal, i thought travellers cheques had to be in my name,this is what it said when i applied:

What should i do, it does just say i am doing it for companies that are registering a company? (but my signature is going onto it) What do i do?

All we require from you is few hours a day and also to pay very close attention to all instructions given to you.Your Job will be Handling all applications of new clients that will be interested in registering a company in the UK,USA,Ireland and other parts of the Europe...

And what you will be doing is Filing all papers from these individual companies which will be sent over to you under that companies name and also processing the registration deposit fee and each client will contact you via email/phone.Salary is 100 pounds or $200 each work week .

you will need to fill in your contact details below so that you will start working with our client in your location and we can have your details stored in our database as our staff and once we are through with this process, we shall notify our clients in your location to send their applications document to you and also their registration deposit fee via check or cash payment which you will have to process through your financial institution on our behalf and keep all records.we will always send you instructions daily on how to carry out your job duties.

i'm so confused... how does this work?

They give you the check, ask to put the money in your account then wire it forward. (The bank will do this, but the check is still "pending" until it is approved). Then a couple of days later, it turns out the check they gave you was not valid, and bounced ... You are now out 3400 dollars of your own money, since you already wired the money to them. You try to contact them: they've disappeared.

(Sometimes, you get arrested for money laundering, if the check was stolen/fraudulent)

They emailed me saying the following, i cant see what they will benifit, if i just cash it until it clears and dont transfer for a week? Or are they hoping i transfer it the following day or something?

This is what they put:

The transfer details will be sent to you immediately the cheques are cashed at your bank today monday morning..Also you will be processing 3 payments weekly which gives you 300 pds on weekly basis for the three payment,so you will be making a lot from the job..

They emailed me saying the following, i cant see what they will benifit, if i just cash it until it clears and dont transfer for a week? Or are they hoping i transfer it the following day or something?

This is what they put:

The transfer details will be sent to you immediately the cheques are cashed at your bank today monday morning..Also you will be processing 3 payments weekly which gives you 300 pds on weekly basis for the three payment,so you will be making a lot from the job..

i hope your not trying to say your still not convinced this is a scam?

tell me - why does any of this make sense to you??? why would some random stranger trust you, a person they don't know and have never met, to do this 'favor' for them. if they are for real, why wouldn't they ask their friend or neighbor to do it for them instead??? or why wouldn't they do it themselves? it just makes NO sense.

it is a scam. trust me. if you do this, you will find out the hard way.

Listen to what everyone is telling you. I watched a show about the different internet scams and this was one of them. There was a woman on that this actually happened to. She cashed them, they bounced and she had to repay the bank. If you think you're having money problems now just cash them and see how much deeper in debt you are going to get.

i hear you everyone, im convinced, exactly what i thought why would someone want me to do this 5 minute duty when they can just do this them selves o even set up a business account and do it, im not going to do it, i have never done anything illegal and never will thats why i checked, thank god, thanks everyone. All i need to figure out now is who to give them to, i dont want any involment, shall i ask the person who has been mailing me for a return address, i will advise that i dont have the time or something?

was is a Nigerian man who sent you this?

Oh goodness, now we're going to start hating on the Nigerians?

This is so, so sad because Nigeria is one of the most promising African nations, with a fairly stable government and banking system, and with very rich resources. Unfortunately, nobody wants to invest in it or do business with Nigerians because of these scams. They are literally destroying that nation!

i hear you everyone, im convinced, exactly what i thought why would someone want me to do this 5 minute duty when they can just do this them selves o even set up a business account and do it, im not going to do it, i have never done anything illegal and never will thats why i checked, thank god, thanks everyone. All i need to figure out now is who to give them to, i dont want any involment, shall i ask the person who has been mailing me for a return address, i will advise that i dont have the time or something?

glad to hear you aren't going to do it!!! i would tell the police.

Archived