CrashTestDummy

I've realized many things after living in the city, and I hate it... and I'm stuck here for another 4 years...

People are too ignorant in the city... they all go out and look out for number one, and not realize that there are other things around them, other people around them, and these people just keep to themselves. It's horrifying to see how many people do that here, they never have the time to just stop and look around themselves to enjoy the beauty of life. No, they just keep going and keep to themselves, saying they need to get there, they need to get here, pushing down people are less fortunate than themselves, not giving a care at all about others.

They don't seem to get that there are less fortunate people out there than themselves... oh yes, I have a plasma TV, I have health insurance... what do I got? Nothing... I can't even go see a doctor over here since I'm not covered and I'm incredibly sick and I think I have a broken knuckle.

I guess this really stems to my roommate who just has everything better than me because he comes from a rich background. He's not exactly the nicest person in the world, well even calling him "alright" is a stretch since it's obvious that he doesn't give a rat's *** about me... He has healthcare, he's got that TV, and all he seems to do is just rub it in my face.

There are a lot of people like him here, they don't give a crap about anyone. They beg, they say thank you after you've given them something, but they don't really mean it. They don't like you more after that, they don't even remember you. They just say hey, I got something from that guy, good for me.

Good deeds are forgotten in this godforsaken land, it's like a prison almost, the air quality is horrible, you can't get around because there's so many cars, so you're just confined into a small area, with people you don't get along with and there are no trees to speak of around the area. The only nature life around here are like pigeons that try to survive by eating the trash that everyone just litters everywhere because they're too worried about getting from point A to point B rather than finding a trashcan 10 feet away from them to throw it in to make the place look and even smell cleaner. No they're all just too lazy to make that choice and litter trash everywhere.

The rich here are all haughty, they look upon the working class here as other species almost. I saw a protest here the other day with workers just wanting a raise in money because the wages were unfair. Some people just walked by looking at them in disgust, with the typical "you should've tried harder in school" look. They couldn't, some people aren't as talented as some people, some people don't have the smarts or as fortunate as other to go to school, and this is how they make a living. I would give up my lunch if it meant one of those workers could feed their family at night. Why eat in luxury when others can't even eat? It's mind boggling sometimes to see that people say that you only have yourself to blame when you don't succeed, when in reality, they don't have the ability like you do. Just try harder, you didn't try, stuff like that really irritates me sometimes because human beings have limits. It's like telling someone who was born without legs to run, and if he can't, it's because he didn't try hard enough, he didn't try hard enough to sprout wings and fly away like everyone else can.

The more fortunate people have these thoughts that everyone mentally and physically are equal but it's really not that way. If we were all that way, we'd all be in the same position, in the same way.

The city is a horrible place to live in, especially if you live in one of the worst. They're just filled with people like these who just look down upon you

All I have with me is my music to help me through these times of trouble... and my greatest fear of it all, is that I'll eventually turn into one of these people

I guess this little rant was a little more about the city than I expected...

When I lived in NYC - it was exactly like that but I gotta tell you...it didn't bother me one bit because it didn't change who I was. Everyone is only looking out for themselves but why shouldnt they be?

Im sorry you are going thru this tough time

I live in The City (it doesn't matter which one.)

I know the people you are talking about.

It's easy to grow angry and resentful of these types. The City is so hard to live in, and expensive. While we work and scrabble, they live here with ease. I felt that resentment myself.

I lived in a TERRIBLE neighborhood in the City until last year. It was really hard, but I made it out! I just now got signed up for health insurance with the gov't -- it isn't very good, but it's something. I'm not going to let it get me down.

I survived it -- and I know you can too. It's okay to be angry, but don't let it consume you.

I think that is a horrible thing to say. There are good people who also live in the city, just like there are bad people who live in the country.

naturally ANY area that is congested you will see more volume of the worst, but there are also more of the good too, people just don't easily recognize the good as they are not the ones out causing any grief for anyone.

Jaded, i thought he was talking about a certain kind of person, not people in general. And I responded in kind....

Yea but the below suggests that all 'city' people are haughty taughty's who look down on everyone. Even in NYC i still passed many people who looked completely normal and nice. Just because they are busy trotting off to work and don't take time to smile at everyone doesn't mean they are 'bad'. There are way more people than in the country so you might not have the time to look everyone you pass in the eye and smile....

They're just filled with people like these who just look down upon you

I guess I just wanted to make some clarity becuase there are as many nasty people who live in rural areas as there are the city, the population itself is just smaller.

I think that is a horrible thing to say. There are good people who also live in the city, just like there are bad people who live in the country.

naturally ANY area that is congested you will see more volume of the worst, but there are also more of the good too, people just don't easily recognize the good as they are not the ones out causing any grief for anyone.

There are great people that live in the "city" thats for sure, most of my best friends live there still & loved living there myself. But I can see where the OP was coming from. Living there, working there for years I know/knew those types of people. Far less then in the country & that's probably because in the country you aren't walking around, bumping into people on the sidewalk, subways, trains, delis etc...all day everyday lol.

To the OP - why are you stuck in the city for 4yrs? If its not for you (cause its not for everyone) & you dont like the people/enivorment then consider moving

I can't pretend to know what the OP is talking about, of course. But I have experienced these people who live in the city -- we call them either "hipsters" or "yuppies."

When you live in a ridiculously expensive city, it does end up this way -- the well off and the very poor, almost no in-between (cuz they move to the 'burbs). I'm in the poor group, as I'm a grad student. Yeah, it sucks, and it should be fixed.

I'm not talking about people in general, I'm talking about a lot of people who live in the city.

I'm talking about Los Angeles, and I'm stuck here because I go to college here and I really don't like it.

When I used to live in the suburbs, I thought everyone was friendly, everyone was looking out for each other, and a stranger was a friend that you haven't met. Everyone was the same, they all wanted the same purpose, and when you needed help, they'd come over to help you out. It's not like that here in LA, I've been yelled at here by bus drivers, by store clerks, by strangers, it just seems like no one cares over here...

I know that all people here aren't like that, but a lot of them are. It's like they make no effort to meet new people, and I've been left alone here in the city, friendless and everything... I don't see how I'm gonna get by another 4 years...

When I used to live in the suburbs, I thought everyone was friendly, everyone was looking out for each other, and a stranger was a friend that you haven't met. Everyone was the same, they all wanted the same purpose, and when you needed help, they'd come over to help you out.

Wait, did you grow up in Bestest Town, USA? The suburbs are equally as bad, in their own way. I'd rather raise kids in the city than the suburbs. My opinion of course, but gosh -- the 'burbs as some sort of ideal?

I was raised in the Silicon Valley in CA, which is a pretty quiet neighborhood with lots of friendly people. It was just something I was used to as a kid. Nature was kind of a step away from the house since I lived pretty close to some hiking trails. And I'd love to just go around those areas and explore since I love nature. I'd just remember sometimes when I'd walk down the streets and someone was watering their lawn, they'd smile and say hello. No one was really rush rush over there since they'd always have time to admire the beauty of life. The water there was clean and the air at least breathable. I guess since its my hometown that I'm somewhat biased towards it, but I think that it's close to perfect. Weather's not bad, crime rates are extremely low, the only problem was that you had nothing to do, but San Fran and downtown San Jose weren't terribly far from it...

I LOVE living in cities, I've lived in cities from 1 million (anything under that , doesn't really constitue as a city IMO) to 20 million and in villages of 1000.

I have found people of all types in cities and towns and villages.

In fact, from my experience, the WORST are people who live in small towns, because there is not much else to do, they spend all their money on fancy TVs or trucks or vehicles. Seriously, when I lived in a small town, there were people who had TVs in every bedroom plys the family room and the kitchen. I even knew a family who had a TV in their bathroom.

I also find that when i've lived in BIG cities, I don't have a car, because I dont' need it... and I get out and do things every day because there is so much more to do, nightlife, restaurants, museums, sports clubs.

when I've lived in small towns, it was where i rented the most movies and sat on my fat * * * * at home!

In bigger cities there was always more opportunities to go out and do things and meet people.

I love getting out into the great wide open but cities are great fun to live in, probably because I love the hustle and bustle of people and find watchign what people do and how they interact with each other absolutely fascinating!

Hey man I understand what your saying. there are jerks and saints no matter where you go. Do your best to find some decent people while you're there.

Try to stay connected to old friends and call them often. Talk to family and those kinds of things and you should do decent. Wish you the best man...

I just don't like the city, it's all the matter of opinion really... It's like how some people like fish, and some people don't; how some people like the outdoors, and how some people don't.

I grew up hating the city, I lived in Shanghai for about 3 months when I was a kid, and it was god awful. You could smell sewage for miles around, and the houses were all run down shacks. I'm just really unhappy about the fact that I'm stuck somewhere for 4 years just for the education, nothing else. I have no friends here, I have nothing here. No one likes a guy like me because I'm an ordinary fellow, everyone else here thinks they're better than everyone else because they were at the tops of their schools when they came here. They know what its like to be at the top, and they always act like they are. I know what its like to be at the bottom, I was at the bottom, I know what its like when you're the worst, I know what its like when you're picked on just because you suck. These people just don't seem to understand that, they hold their heads up high towards others, keep to themselves, loving only themselves because they just think they're better, and they won't associate themselves with you unless they know you're just as good as them...

It's god awful...

Welcome to modern day life. I went to college in L.A. too... in the worst part of town with gang bangers running around with automatic weapons. Didn't have the problems you do in L.A,. I did however have a completely miserable experience in another large CA city. The rudest, most inconsiderate people I have ever met in any of the 30 plus places I have lived. I hated that area with a passion and left there as fast as I could find a new job.

I really didn't know where to put it... it was sort of a rant... and I guess I put it here because I felt it was like it was something about myself but then again it isn't... I didn't think it belonged in the off-topic part, but yeah...

I just feel like everything's going wrong right now... I don't belong in the city, I don't belong with these people that are here at this university, I just feel so out of place... fish out of water... I'm only staying because of the education but I feel that's even failing me right now, because I'm not learning what I want to learn. My parents would disown me if I dropped out, everything would go wrong if I dropped out or transfered, but everything is going wrong right now...

I'm trapped, it's like a prison here

Transferring is no big deal. I've done it. I didn't want to stay at the school in L.A. because if I'm shelling out 25k a year, I want to be taught by a professor who actually knows who I am. I went back east (to a quiet, old money, tree lined suburb) and finished my last 2 years at another school. Best time of my life.

I personally don't like cities either (and I've lived in many of the big ones). I like being 20+ miles outside a city (further if there's a lot of sprawl). Close enough to find a job and go there when I want to do something, but far enough away where I don't have to listen to the sirens, loud neighbors, and so forth. I really don't like people all over the place - if I had to live in NYC again I would kill myself.

I just realized that this section said self-injury, and not self-inquiry... sorry... I've been really sick lately and read it wrong...

Yea I was wondering the same thing why it was under self injury but didnt want to say anything lol Seemed alittle out of place but wasn't sure if there was a good reason behind it

Archived