Building good physical health

grymoire

i like avi's example of a week/weekday breakdown; however, that is too much tuna fish. you should only have tuna once or twice a week max. tuna is very good for you with all of the omega fats in it and such, but, unfortunately, our bodies are not made for tuna. so limit that to a few times a week.

Agreed. I actually will eat either canned tuna, or canned salmon. The fresh version of either of these is obviously much better though.

I also agree about breakfast. You MUST eat breakfast or your body will eat itself for energy. LITERALLY. When you do not have fat for your body to use as energy, it will attack your muscle tissue. Put some more food in that body. Don't fear that your body will start storing a lot of fat if you eat a lot more. Just watch what you put into your body and your body will sort it all out.

The way the body and how it digests food was explained to me was like this.

My personal trainer told me that I should not worry about eating a lot more. He told me that it is more likely that I will gain weight from eating a double whopper once a day then if I were to eat 10 chicken breasts a day. The reason is, your body gets used to the amount of food you take in. If you take in one large meal a day, your body will store almost all of that meal into fat. If you eat small portions all day long, your body will relax, take what it NEEDS from that food and put the rest out in waste.

So the more you eat, the better off you will be. I would say limit your fat intake to no more than 90 grams a day. Monosaturated fats are really good (peanut butter, fish capsules)

Here is my two cents. Just like anything else you need to slowly change your diet. Who knows how your body will react if you wake up one day and go cold turkey. If you cut out the sugar and caffeine and get plenty or rest and also include a good multivitamin daily, you will sure fell better and more energized. People you don't see everyday will see as change as you may not.

Don't get discourged!! You will also find when you start to excercise which foods seem to slow you down. Do your research and find out which best suits your lifestyle. It is very expensive to eat healthy.

Don't take this the wrong way ENA but everthing with working out reverts back to two things in my book. To eat what you want and to look better naked.

i.e. wanting to attract the opposite sex.........looking better naked

just my opinion. Good luck with the new lifestyle Grymoire!

I'd recommend whole grains, brown rice, fresh fruits and veggies paired at one meal with minimal meat (chicken, tuna, lean beef, salmon, etc). I personally love my coffee but only use it as an occasional splurge a few times a week. The majority of time I drink green tea or water.

I bought a reclining bike for cardio, do yoga for general toning and endurance, and use weights and push ups for upper arm strength. When the weather is nice, I also enjoy hiking for hours at a time.

Go to link removed for smoking. If you keep their Health Benefits Timeline posted where you can easily see, it will be a constant motivator to kick the nasty habit.

link removed

Passed this on before to some folks but still holds true, especially for adrenal fatigue. The Schwarzbein Principle. Check out the book, written by an endocrinologist. Not a quack diet book. Something in it for everyone. I receovered from adrenal fatigue using info from that book. Then again, my doctors use my diet as an example to other patients, so I'm "healthy as a horse" these days. My biggest enemies are stress and sports injuries

Passed this on before to some folks but still holds true, especially for adrenal fatigue. The Schwarzbein Principle. Check out the book, written by an endocrinologist. Not a quack diet book. Something in it for everyone. I receovered from adrenal fatigue using info from that book. Then again, my doctors use my diet as an example to other patients, so I'm "healthy as a horse" these days. My biggest enemies are stress and sports injuries

Thank you so much cotuner

I'll definitely check out this book... I'll also PM you about Adrenal Fatigue.

I may as well add my two cents...

On quitting coffee, pick a long weekend or a holiday and go cold turkey. Drink as much water as you like, you can even warm it up. You may have a headache, take pain medicine as directed if it really bothers you. Sleep whenever you feel tired. After three days your body will have adjusted and you will not feel like you need coffee to function or stay awake any more.

On eating healthy, I am an oatmeal believer. It's a great breakfast and you can put nuts and dried fruit in it for flavor and texture. Don't use sugar or sugar substitutes, your taste buds will adjust. Two to three hours later eat a yogurt and a banana. For lunch have protein and salad. For afternoon snack have fruit, for dinner have veggies and protein, and for evening snack have a half of a large potato with no sour cream, butter is ok. Drink lots of water. In three days you will feel like a new person.

I'm a few days late, but thought I'd throw in my two-cents worth. Avi's diet works well for him and that's great. But I agree with the rest that unless you're working toward building lots of muscle mass, that is much more protein than you need. What kills many "diets" is lack of variety. Avi's diet is good but I'd go insane eating that same stuff (especially shakes... blech) every day.

When it comes to carbohydrates, you want complex carbs, not simple carbs. Meaning: when you eat rice, eat brown or whole grain, NOT white. When you eat bread, eat WHOLE wheat, nothing else. When you eat pasta, eat whole wheat. White rice, white bread (and some "wheat breads" marketed as healthy), and pasta are bleached and stripped of everything healthy. They basically turn to sugar in your body, which your body then turns to fat. Potatoes are okay but don't have them TOO often. They are ALL starch, which also just turns to sugar.

Eat lean meats. Organic chicken is great, and so are most fishes. Stay away from fatty red meats. If you buy ground beef, get as lean as you can get.

My girlfriend and I have been "dieting" since October we're in fantastic shape. I put dieting in quotes because it's more a change of eating habits rather than a diet. We eat a LOT of food, never feel hungry, have lost weight, etc. We also exercise as much as we can (I cycle 50-100 miles per week).

Here is a typical menu for us:

- Breakfast: Two eggs cooked in low-fat oil spray and one slice of canadian bacon. Or a bowl of oatmeal (the REAL stuff, not that instant, sugar-filled junk).

- Midmorning snack (10:30am): Handfull of roasted peanuts and a low-fat string cheese.

- Lunch: Turkey sandwhich on whole wheat bread... lettuce, mustard. Small serving of low-fat cottage cheese. Baby carrots or sugar snap peas. Apple.

- Afternoon (3:30pm): small cup (single serving cup) of all-natural, no sugar added apple sauce. Sometimes a few more peanuts.

- Dinner: Mixed green salad. We throw in chopped red peppers, chopped walnuts, carrots, celery and onion, and a Tablespoon of light dressing. Grilled chicken, seasoned however you like it (we do lemon pepper and garlic), stir-fried in two Tablespoons of olive oil, with frozen veggie mix and brown rice.

And lots of water!

Hope this helps some...

Archived