Open Club  ·  31 members  ·  Free

Travel and Culture

Have you travelled your own country enough....

hey jo

....to go out and discover other places in the world?

I live in New Zealand (which makes me waaaaay lucky, this place is a paradise) and here I am wishing to go to U.S and Australia for a visit when I haven't even been to South Island. So I would say I'm guilty of this, not that it's a bad thing to go out and explore other areas. Perhaps it just dawned on me that I have to appreciate what's around me first before I go searching for other places to go to.

Or maybe it's just me.

If you haven't, are there any places in your own locale that you haven't seen yet, but would really want to? Or have you had enough of your own backyard scenery?

I know people who live in New York City and have never been up in the Statue of Liberty. Or seen a Broadway show.

I, myself, live within spitting distance of Williamsburg, Virginia as well as Virginia Beach and while I admit I HAVE done the tourist thing once, I have no compunction to go back, except on business.

I have discovered that I will ride my Triumph to someplace (Recently to Washington DC) and once I get there I get homesick, and all I want to do is go home.

I guess I'm just ambivalent on the whole traveling thing.

I have been living in China for 25 years. i haven't been travelling out of my country yet. or to be precise, i haven't been out of my province except Hong Kong and other places. I would certainly jump at the opportunity to go abroad. i mean, i have been living in the same place where i am living for soooo long. NZ is a definitely a nice place and one of my friend is gonna emigrate there soon. It is good to explore and experience new places.

I'm from Holland, temporarily in the US (first time) for this semester. I have been traveling a lot in my own country *waits for applause* but yeah, Holland is a tiny (gorgeous) dot on the map.

In Europe, I have been in a lot of countries, with the exception of Slovenia, Poland, Serbia. I hope to go to Slovenia soon, and I wish to spend more time in Hungary.

In Africa, I have been in Tunesia only. If I could, I'd really want to go to South-Africa and Kenia.

In Asia, I have been in Hong Kong, India, and the Philippines.

Within US, I unfortunately don't have the time to travel a lot, but I will visit NYC this weekend, I have been to Rhode Island Ithaca NY, and will fly to Wisconsin for New Year to visit my sister-in-law-to-be. If time and money wouldn't be factors, wow, I'd go to San Francisco, Cape Cod (I know, I am sooo close, but honestly I haven't even seen that much of Boston), travel up to Canada, ...

I live in the US and I've traveled into and through 37 states. I've seen everything that I've always wanted to see. I've been in the Rocky Mountains, I've taken a bath in The Yellowstone river, I hung my feet off the side of the Grand Canyon. I've seen all that I want to see here. Now there are some things that I'd love to share with my baby when he's old enough to appreciate them, but I'm pretty much done in the US. I've never been out of the country and I'd love to see Ireland.

i live in canada and to be honest, it doesnt really interest me as much as south america or europe or asia. i've never even been to the states and quite frankly, no interest to except for maybe shopping but with the exchange rate, nooo ty.

i travel for the culture and a change. i don't travel to just ... travel. lol

Guilty as charged....to much work and not enough enjoyment. Wanting what you don't have is common. I live minutes from Yosemite National Park and haven't been there since I was a little kid! People come from all over the world to go there and I don't drive 35 minutes for a day trip.

Note to self: Day trip!

lost

I live in New Zealand too, and like you, I have never been to the south island. I'd love to go to Spain or Scotland soon, maybe even visit my mum in the US

Sweet man glad I aint the only one who hasnt been to south island yet. I have lived here for quite some time niw, reckon it's about time I go down south before planning to go elsewhere. Most of my family's in US too.

I'm from Holland, temporarily in the US (first time) for this semester. I have been traveling a lot in my own country *waits for applause* but yeah, Holland is a tiny (gorgeous) dot on the map.

In Europe, I have been in a lot of countries, with the exception of Slovenia, Poland, Serbia. I hope to go to Slovenia soon, and I wish to spend more time in Hungary.

In Africa, I have been in Tunesia only. If I could, I'd really want to go to South-Africa and Kenia.

In Asia, I have been in Hong Kong, India, and the Philippines.

Within US, I unfortunately don't have the time to travel a lot, but I will visit NYC this weekend, I have been to Rhode Island Ithaca NY, and will fly to Wisconsin for New Year to visit my sister-in-law-to-be. If time and money wouldn't be factors, wow, I'd go to San Francisco, Cape Cod (I know, I am sooo close, but honestly I haven't even seen that much of Boston), travel up to Canada, ...

I would defo love to travel to the Netherlands...that for sure. And good for you *applausing and bowing down in praise*

ive visited almost all 50 states and im not talking about just driving through. My parents love to travel, and we always go on at least 3 family vacations a year. And i know people in CT that have never been farther than wildwood NJ.

That freakin awesome. At least 3 family vacations a year, wish I can do that too.

i live in canada and to be honest, it doesnt really interest me as much as south america or europe or asia. i've never even been to the states and quite frankly, no interest to except for maybe shopping but with the exchange rate, nooo ty.

i travel for the culture and a change. i don't travel to just ... travel. lol

Yeah...I get your drift eh. besides what's the point of travelling if at the end of the day you won't be having fun. It's always nice to experience something different.

Guilty as charged....to much work and not enough enjoyment. Wanting what you don't have is common. I live minutes from Yosemite National Park and haven't been there since I was a little kid! People come from all over the world to go there and I don't drive 35 minutes for a day trip.

Note to self: Day trip!

lost

See, I know some people who's pretty much the same. We have a gorgeous mountain which is just about 45 minutes away from our city. I haven't been in NZ that long, but then when I tell people about my experience of going up that mountain, they tell me "Oh I haven't been there yet, and I was born and raised here".

DOUBLE NOTE TO LOSTANDHURT: DAY TRIP

....to go out and discover other places in the world?

I live in New Zealand (which makes me waaaaay lucky, this place is a paradise) and here I am wishing to go to U.S and Australia for a visit when I haven't even been to South Island. So I would say I'm guilty of this, not that it's a bad thing to go out and explore other areas. Perhaps it just dawned on me that I have to appreciate what's around me first before I go searching for other places to go to.

Or maybe it's just me.

If you haven't, are there any places in your own locale that you haven't seen yet, but would really want to? Or have you had enough of your own backyard scenery?

I haven't traveled Australia very much I always assumed we were a fairly boring, fairly flat continent with few trees.

I don't like the heat or the humidity and I really have no great desire to experience the outback. Cairns was a possibility but I am nowhere near cool enough to make the trip enjoyable.

Overseas travel might happen when I get the necessary certs and to be able to teach english that way I won't get bored and will have something to do when I travel.

Archived