On "neti bowls", blood, mucus, sinus and yech

*****Possible TMI-type health alert******

I often awake with a stuffed up nose, and/or dried blood etc in my nose. obviously, I am not happy with this. I don't know if it's allergies or the dry, polluted climate I live in or what.

Does anyone have any experience with a neti bowl or can offer me any other hints as how i can dodge this affliction.

I heard humidifiers are bad. Are neti bowls bad too?

Neti pots work great! I have so many allergies since my mid twenties. Nothing worked till I got me a neti!

I would recommend you try them since they are cheap and easy to use. The only thing that took me time to adjust to is the feeling of the water running thru your sinuses.

There are so many factors in what is causing your problem but, it does sound like you have an allergy to something in the place you live in. Could be the air, mold, household heating system.

Neti pots work great! I have so many allergies since my mid twenties. Nothing worked till I got me a neti!

I would recommend you try them since they are cheap and easy to use. The only thing that took me time to adjust to is the feeling of the water running thru your sinuses.

There are so many factors in what is causing your problem but, it does sound like you have an allergy to something in the place you live in. Could be the air, mold, household heating system.

x2 I think it might have to be do with being allergic to something in the house. I used to get bloody noses and everything etc when i lived in my parents house. I moved out and i get them no more. I also have very bad allergies. But I always used to get the bloody nose when it was colder weather came. late fall/winter

Hubman, do you use just regular tap water or like distilled water or something. What about a saline solution?

Find out the humidity level in your bedroom/house. If it is to dry you will have issues. A cool air humidifier can bring the levels up to where they are supposed to be.

I don't think I could use a tea pot to pour water up my nose but it might work for you!

lost

I live in pretty much desert conditions - extremely dry. however, I only have this problem upon awakening. during the day it does'n't seem to be as seriously. I'm guessing the humindity level is minimum.

I've heard bad things about humidifiyers though, like if you don't change the filter or use clean water then you are just spewing molds and toxins back into the air again.

Hubman, do you use just regular tap water or like distilled water or something. What about a saline solution?

They actually sell replacment packets of saline at the local drug store, walmart, and i have even seen them in my supermarket. You can use regular water but, I would recommend you boil it before you use it. Also you really need to get the saline content right or you could burn your nostrils pretty good. Usually they sell the packages of saline at the store you bought the Neti from.

what do the neti 'bowls' do then? you just heat up the saline water and such and hold your face over it and take in the vapors or just let the vapors go all over your room and let it sit?

I am not quite sure what a neti bowl is. It could be another form of neti pot that looks more like a bowl.?.?

Keeping the humidifier clean is the only thing you need to do. Some people may be lazy and just keep pouring water into it day after day and it can get nasty in there after a while but a little maintenance goes a long way. Vicks makes a good I use for my son when he is sick and it works great and only costs about 20 bucks or so. The filter on mine only filters the air coming in before it is expelled with the water vapor. What ever you do it sounds like you need more humidity in your house. Dry nasal passages will cause all your symptoms and make it easier for you to catch a cold also.

I live in pretty much desert conditions - extremely dry. however, I only have this problem upon awakening. during the day it does'n't seem to be as seriously. I'm guessing the humindity level is minimum.

I've heard bad things about humidifiyers though, like if you don't change the filter or use clean water then you are just spewing molds and toxins back into the air again.

Archived