My dog won't sleep in my bed anymore

hers

She gets on the bed herself, but sometimes she is up here when I get home (sleeps on it when I am gone!). She hasn't acted like anything's hurting her. She doesn't act like she's 6--she never seems as though something is hurting her.

Right now she is squeeking her duck on my stomach and growling. So cute.

The bed isn't high up though. She barely has to raise her foot and she's on it--I don't have it on bed frames; it's on the floor. She just won't sleep with me but she'll jump on and off pretty quickly if she's very playful and wants to play with her toys.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
She gets on the bed herself, but sometimes she is up here when I get home (sleeps on it when I am gone!). She hasn't acted like anything's hurting her. She doesn't act like she's 6--she never seems as though something is hurting her.

Right now she is squeeking her duck on my stomach and growling. So cute.

The bed isn't high up though. She barely has to raise her foot and she's on it--I don't have it on bed frames; it's on the floor. She just won't sleep with me but she'll jump on and off pretty quickly if she's very playful and wants to play with her toys.

It is still just very odd behavior. If you are able a vet visit would be a good thing.

It is still just very odd behavior. If you are able a vet visit would be a good thing.

That's a good idea. Thank you!

My client who gave me the memory foam bed also has a boxer, and his boxer has a lot of joint issues and has had major surgeries in both his back legs (he's such a TALL boxer, like 2" past my knees! My dog goes right below my knees!). Anyway, he thinks it may be too hot for her (my apartment is pretty warm usually, even with the AC unit on) or the memory foam makes her hips feel better, since our babies are prone to hip issues. He said his dog is the same way with sleeping with him and that it started (gasp!) when he got him the memory foam mattress. His dog gets on and off my client's bed easily though, despite the fact that he's had such surgeries, and it's one of those beds that I have to jump up on b/c it's so high up(not that I jump on my client's bed. You know what I mean!).

I dunno. I just know it makes me sad that she won't sleep wtih me anymore but I'll check with the vet, since I have to go by there soon anyway.

This isn't helpful, but cute. I love this pic and your thread reminded me of it. LOL\

I grew up with a Weim just like that one and that was pretty much how i slept, only she stole my covers ! ! LOL

HOW CUTE!

This is how it used to be with us. She's on the floor right now. Hardwood. That can't be more comfortable than cuddling with hers mudders (that's "her mother" in Leeluu-speak)!

image removed

HOW CUTE!

This is how it used to be with us. She's on the floor right now. Hardwood. That can't be more comfortable than cuddling with hers mudders (that's "her mother" in Leeluu-speak)!

image removed

AWWW! CUTE!

And dont ask me who that person is in that pic i posted. Its some random internet pic i saw once and liked it. LOL

I had a feeling your username 'hersmudders' meant mother for the doggie. LOL

haha, aww, yeah probably best to hold off on kitty.

I can't believe how much personality Cairo has. I always thought my parents' siamese cats had personality but it's nothing compared to Cairo. She's so cute, you can't go into the bathroom without her being RIGHT there and she won't stop crying until you turn the faucet on for her. She doesn't like to drink out of her dish--has to be FRESH.

haha, aww, yeah probably best to hold off on kitty.

I can't believe how much personality Cairo has. I always thought my parents' siamese cats had personality but it's nothing compared to Cairo. She's so cute, you can't go into the bathroom without her being RIGHT there and she won't stop crying until you turn the faucet on for her. She doesn't like to drink out of her dish--has to be FRESH.

HAHAHA that's so cute. I know cats who have to have the toilet bowl open b/c that's all they'll drink out of. It sucks too, b/c I have a phobia of open toilet seats and I HAVE to close them when I see them, yet at some clients' houses, I have to leave them open and it drives me nuts.

I love vocal cats who follow you. Some cats I sit for, they just hang out and don't talk to or play with me. I'm like a kid--"Lucy, come play with me! Come on! Here kitty! LUCY!". Then others, they're like dogs with the attention and happiness they show. I love it.

yeah, the vocal ones are always much more entertaining. Cairo makes the sweetest little chirp whenever I pet her. It's like a little bird noise.

And with the toilet thing, I HAVE to keep the lid closed or else she'll jump in. I can't tell you how many times my roommates have left the lid up and I've heard a *PLUNK*. Sigh. She may be cute, but she's not the brightest.

aww how cute! I love boxers

I know I'm being very thick, but that picture is of you and her, right?

Jaded Stars idea to take her to the vet is a good one, just to check up on her and make sure

I have cats, and they sleep with my Parents and Sister, but not with me

Apparently its because I sleep in the basement and they like it upstairs more.

Sucks though!

p.s. Does your dog make that awesome "boxer noise" (the heavy breathing/snuffling? I think its due to the way their noses are shaped) I LOVE that noise, it is one of my very favorite things about boxers. Its so weirdly reassuring.

Yes Debbie that is me and her in the pic!!

I LOVE the boxer snort but leeluu doesn't do it. A client of mine has a boxer with an oddly shaped snout and he does it, so every day when I go walk him, he greets me with jumps and snorts like a pig and it is the BEST greeting ever. Boxers are by far my favorite breed--theyre just so funny.

It really could be the memory foam.

I got my memory foam mattress after i hurt my back and was in constant pain. As soon as i got the foam mattress, my spine went back into alignment and the pain entirely stopped. I'll never sleep on anything else ever again since they are so good for your spine and back.

Your dog may have the same reaction! Get yourself a foam mattress and she may rejoin you!

She's gonna be 6 next week, and I think she's in her "teenage" years. She's always slept with me, in cold weather and hot weather, usually up against me for the better part of the night, sometimes moving to the floor or a chair, but most of the night wiht me.

Anyone offer advice? Reason? I miss my baby girl!

For the record, she's a 60-lb boxer.

Yes, I'm a single nerd who needs that closeness at night! She's my spooning buddy.

Some dogs may find being in bed too warm, my dog comes up for about 15 minutes of pets then gets down. Sometime during the night he gets back up and sleeps in the window sill (18" deep) which is at the same level as my head. That's where he is in the morning, waking me up.

Teenage years for a dog is normally about 1 year to a year and a half. If you look at most female dogs, they enter their first reproductive cycle around 9 months to 1 year and that "teenage" stage hits soon afterward. A female dog is physically in her breeding prime to start at 18 months, physically a human female in hers around 18-21 years. A dog at 1 year is developmentally similar to a 14-16 year old human. They age fairly slowly beyond this point for the next 6 -7 years, then the aging factors accelerate. An 8 year old dog can age like a 50 year human. For a medium sized dog, like yours this is right about in the middle of dog aging, a small dog might age much slower and a very large dog much quicker.

Your dog could also just be slowly developing an independent streak as she gets older, this isn't that uncommon, especially for a b**tch (I'm not allowed to use the technically correct terminology for a female dog ). The older my dogs got, the less of a cuddly dog they were. I always joke about the needy puppy. I think they slowly grow less needy.

Awww...I know how you feel. I have recently been dumped by my doggie. He fell in love with my roommate b/c she is home all day and spoils him. it really sucks. My boxer still loves me though! hes the one in my avatar...I love my pups!! Hopefully one day Spiny Norman will realize the error of his ways and come back to me???

Teenage years--shoudl have put this in the first post, as it seems that's all people are reading!--I mean she's too cool to sleep with mom. I know the dog age thing, but it's more her mindset--she's too independent now, haha! I hate it!!

I want her to be needy. She's my girl. Today when I went to take my nap, she jumped in bed, cuddled me a minute (by digging her head into my face--ouch--and blowing snot on me. Hey, I'll take what I can get!) and jumped off. Then she grabbed a toy and went to her bed. Sigh.

Awww...I know how you feel. I have recently been dumped by my doggie. He fell in love with my roommate b/c she is home all day and spoils him. it really sucks. My boxer still loves me though! hes the one in my avatar...I love my pups!! Hopefully one day Spiny Norman will realize the error of his ways and come back to me???

AWESOME picture!! Boxers are the best babies, aren't they!

Don't know if someone already mentioned this because I didn't read every reply in detail, but could possibly be that her hips are getting bad and jumping up there is just too painful. Might be slightly early for her hips to start wearing out, but I've seen it happen fairly early in dogs.

You talked to the vet?

Not yet, but someone else suggested it, and I plan to next week.

Bed is on the floor though--not high at all--she literally just has to raise her foot and she's on the bed.

Archived