i am writing for opinions on medication.

I lost my mother in april, after 7 weeks of diagnosis. When i found out she was sick i myself got ill over the stress and worry etc. went to the doctors who gave me sleeping pills which i initially never took at first.

My health deteriorated and my back and stomach got bad so the doctor put me on medication. \I was on it on and off as i do not like taking pills

anyway after she died i cam eback home (live in different country to where mum lived) my appetite gradually got worse and i started taking the sleeping pills and other medication.

Since beginning of july i have not been able to eat well and sleeping was so bad i did start taking the pills to help sleep, plus i was also drinking at home.

Trying to cope with the loss and then 2 of my friends who died after my mum and 2 pets i became dependant on the tablets and drink.

I went out one day for lunch and the girl i was with (likes her drink alot) bought me wine. all i recall is having 3 glasses and next thing i knew i was being pulled over by the police (have written about the arrest on previous post)

Since then i do not drink anymore and have started seeing a counsellor. Me and my son were in a car crash 4 weeks ago (Other person fault and they have accepted liability)

I have been to my doctor alot in the last month. she put me on prozac but the other day she told me to come off them and now gave me zispin.I read the instructions and side effects and it is very scary.

My friend who is a nurse as told me to come off all medication but i have not as yet as i was rock bottom 2 weeks ago (suicidal thoughts).

I have not had chance to grieve for my mother let alone anything else.

I have a son and starting college next week, run a charity also.

Obviously my son is acting out and as for his father, well the last 4 months he has rang once, i have a legal case going on also as he dont pY Mintenance and also we have land together and i have been paying the mortgage.

I just wish things would go better and my son had more than i can give. i feeel guilty being on the computer and not giving him all my attention all the time and that his dad obviously doesnt care. my son needs his dad more than ever now yet he is not bothering with my son and i am so worried the effects it would have on my son as he grows up

I have not received a summons for court yet and so worried about losing my license as where we live i need my car plus i had a clean licence for 20 years.

can anyone advise please

I think you should keep seeing your counselor and if he/she isn't helping yoou feel better then I suggest a new one.

You are going through a very tough time and you are showing signs of depression. Do whats right for your child and keep going to your counselor.

It gets better with time, trust me.

thanks, am trying my best and it obviously affecting my son. He is innocent in all this.

He takes his anger out on me and i would take it out on him (verbaly not physically) althoug of course thats wrong.

Been sitting him down the last few nights and trying to explain things to him.

He is only ten and a bright lad who has also gone and going through alot.

My counsellor seems good right now and will see him again next week, determined not to give in, if anything for my sons sake. we made it this far and survived so hopefully there will be more blue sky coming than black

thanks

Lea,

I lost my wife last year, and have a 13 year old son....I went to group counselling, took about 5 tries till I found the right one...helped immensly. I too had lost a lot of weight, and had sleeplessness.

My Doc put me on 10mg Lexapro...it has worked well at keeping me sane.

I also take Xanax, .25mg for the sleeping.

You can work through this...but it is work.

Perhaps a counsellor for you son also?

I wish you the best!

PM me if you need to...

KG

thanks, am trying my best and it obviously affecting my son. He is innocent in all this.

He takes his anger out on me and i would take it out on him (verbaly not physically) althoug of course thats wrong.

Been sitting him down the last few nights and trying to explain things to him.

He is only ten and a bright lad who has also gone and going through alot.

My counsellor seems good right now and will see him again next week, determined not to give in, if anything for my sons sake. we made it this far and survived so hopefully there will be more blue sky coming than black

thanks

Yes well councelors can't wave a magic wand and make you feel better. It will take months if not years. Also you can talk to your son about your mother. Have talks with him about all the funny stories and memorable moments you shared.

The thing about anti depressants is that you never know which one is going to work for you. That is why you have to cycle through them to find the one that actually helps you.

If you aren't getting any results from the one you are currently on around 2-3 weeks then it is best to try another one.

My opinion is to stay on anti-depressants and receive counseling for the grief you are going through. It is so hard to lose loved ones, ,especially a parent.

yes i do talk to him about his gran and alwyas tell him when he is sad over something to think happy thoughts. i know it will take a long time and sure the counsellor is only part of what has to be done, i know the work is within me to find and achieve

It seems like you've been stuck in a rut, sorry to hear.

I'm highly against medications, unless it's absolutely necessary.

Exercise and proper diet will help you with sleeping and stress, and I'm sure you could get a referral to a nutritionist. Just think of your situation like this:

You lost your mother and have been through some extremely rough patches recently...Your body is properly reacting to your situation by producing depression and anxiety. I think continuing to see your therapist, talking to your son, and even joining a group (group therapy/sports/etc.) will help you more than you can imagine. Medications DO help sometimes, but they are also a risk and people rely on them too much these days.

If YOU feel that medications will assist you in coping, then by all means... go for it.

Which ever decision you chose, good luck and hang in there!

thanks

i am not big into medication at all and was purely out of desperation i started on them.

i will try and get off them for sure and hoping by getting back into routine next week with school and college i can cope.

it is the nightime thats the worst.

i tried for 5 weeks to sleep before i was pulled over for drink driving, as my body had got so weak and i obviously wasnt thinking straight. yes very anxious alot of the time and paranoid things will always go bad cos of te amount of rubbish thats been sent my way and my sons way.

i always thinking about my son and that he is ok but i need time away from him also and i dont like him seeing me like this.

i also pray to god i do not lose my license as we are settled where we live and there are no buses to get me to college, so my future is depending on what the judge will say

My counsellor has said he has written reports before and i hope i get probation, i know it not an excuse but as i said have a clean license for 20 years, not one penalty point and qworked very hard to get the life we have. but losing 6 people in 10 months and 3 pets plus car crash and court case for maintenaance and no break from my son has weakend my strength so much

Think you should be taking the medication prescribed as precribed. They don't just give meds out for no reason. I didn't take the meds I was supposed to take when I initially started failing and then I really hit bottem, lost my mind completely and now I have to take meds to remain sane. It's not just something I can opt out of now, like I used to. And I hate taking pills.

thanks to everyone for the advise.

I think i will stay on the medication for another week and if no different see my doctor. i do not want to rely on medication and its been around 7 weeks since i have been on it. hopefully by starting college next week and trying to eat better, things will improve

Archived