How do you react when you stop taking your medication?

I ask this because I just realized I haven't been taking my meds since Wednesday and everything seemed to come together; why I was feeling so utterly depressed and out of it. I take medication for my clinical depression and ADHD. When I don't take them, bad things happen. Without the meds I take for my ADHD, I find myself trying hard to grasp what's going on around me. And without my anti-depressents, I get this sense of utter helplessness and that I should should just sit and rot away.

What happens when you skip a day or stop taking your meds all together? Does it throw you off completely or do you manage? Do you become a comepletely different person?

Every person is different but for some you can have mood swings, outbursts and anger, depression, it all depends on each person and their original temperament. I have always heard to quit through a Doctor's supervision, that you should quit slowly so your body can adjust to the chemical change.

I had abruptly stopped my meds once a few years ago. I had to be checked into a facility as I had suffered a nervous breakdown.

As time went on and I was feeling better, I couldn't just stop the meds cold turkey, the doctor had to wean me off them slowly so that I wouldn't have a relapse.

If you have missed a few days, just start taking them again, but don't take more than you usually would. Just take your dose at your regular time and continue doing that each day.

This is very dangerous! Depending on the medication it can make you suicidal or homicidal. There is a reason they gave you these medications! My husband went cold turkey off his medication and he ended up cutting his wrists and having a nervous breakdown and was in the phych ward of the hospital for a month. Take your medication as the dr advises.

Does it bring youto normal state or do you fall below what you normally would be without. In general I have a steady personality. Up until possibly needing them I was calm, never got worried, or had emotional outbursts. Now that I am thinking of taking them in my dark hour right now I am worried about being worse after using them than before.

Archived