My friend had his last trial today and he got 7 years. He was offered a deal and will be gone for 7 years. I'm not quite sure on how to deal with this to be honest. The kid is smart and his mother started dating someone who forced him into getting into things.

I don't know how to take this because, even though I'm leaving for the military I know i won't be as affected. He was one of my best friends and now things will be even harder to keep in contact. It's one thing to have a friend move away but it's another to know that he was stripped of his rights and his whole future will always be hard from this end out. And when i come back for leave I won't be able to see him.

Any help, has anyone lost a friend or loved one to a broken system?

First off, I'm sorry to hear about your friend. Sentenced to 7 years will equate to roughly 3-4 years behind bars with good behavior. The main thing is for him not to give into his criminal tendencies and come our MORE of a criminal. I know of a couple of people who have gone to prison for the same or longer and are okay now. It all depends on the person. I have someone very close to me who spent some time in prison. He once told me the thing that got him through was from day one he focused on what he wanted his life to be once he got out. You've got to have something to look forward to. He's now a very successful man, earned his masters degree, married, 1 kid with another on the way, 2 houses, runs his own business, etc. I'd also like to recommend a good book: "Makes Me Wanna Holler" by Nathan McCall. This book may inspire your friend. Good luck. And be safe yourself SS.

-Kevin

The choices we make in life dictate where we are right now.

Losing a really good friend sucks. I lost one of my best friends at a young age. He went out camping with a bunch of people, someone had a gun, and it somehow went off, he died. Accidental shooting, that took away one of my great childhood friends.

Sometimes you just have to roll with the punches and find a way to live a better life. Let your friend be an example to what you shouldn't do. Let him be your inspiration for living a positive life.

A book I'd suggest he read is We're All Doing Time. It's written by a guy who has helped many people in prison gain peace of mind through meditation and self expression.

Hopefully when he gets out, he will have bettered himself.

I feel for you. Having one of your best friends in prison must hurt. He will not do all of the seven years, most likely four or five if he keeps his nose clean. Keep in touch with him when you can. Life is so tough in prison and he needs a good influence for every scummy one he will meet in there.

Archived