How trustworthy are these job listing websites?

MattW

I'm kinda looking over these job listing sites (stuff like link removed, link removed, etc.), and I'm kinda concerned at many of the results I seem to get... Do they weed out scams and stuff like that? Like, for instance, I was looking on link removed, and found this website through their job search: link removed Now, to me, that one just kind of screams fake...

Monster, careerbuilder, hotjobs and many of the ones that have been around for awhile are very reputable. I used to be a Technical Director for one many years ago, before broadband ;-). There is a lot of competition among these sites and they rely on the job posters (employers) to be honest about the jobs they have, but the employers pay to post these jobs so few put up bogus jobs.

Monster was a new kid on the block when I worked in this field.

I dunno I don't think those job sites are any usefull. My mom would send resumes to posting everyday and she never got any calls for an interview. She did once, for this comany called Sephora, but it was for a part time SEASONAL (Christmas season) position.

I dunno I don't think those job sites are any usefull. My mom would send resumes to posting everyday and she never got any calls for an interview. She did once, for this comany called Sephora, but it was for a part time SEASONAL (Christmas season) position.

Most recruiters DO use monster, hotjobs and careerbuilder on a regular basis so they are definitely not a scam. The thing is, however, they are only going to call the people whose resume is a VERY CLOSE match to their openings. They will not call anyone whose experience raises any kind of question mark.

thereforeeee the sites are only as good as the resume you post. If a resume is getting zero hits you might want to pay a service to create one for you that might appeal to more employers. Did your mom sit back and wait for phonecalls? People who use these sites have to actively perform searches daily and in several different ways to find jobs that match their qualifications and they have to apply for them. Most people dont get a job waiting for a recruiter to find them.

Snagajob is good but it is for hourly jobs only. If someone is seeking professional/managerial employment they wont be able to use snagajob.

The resume that my mom was using was professionally done. However, the service was not that great. The lady who did it was very bad on her timing, she gave my mom 3 different pick up dates. My mom wasn't making much at her job at the time, and she would have to leave about 2 hours early to go pick up the resume. So she lost 6 hours of work in total, 3 different occasions and the resume was not finished yet. It was an excuse after excuse, to the point where my mom told her call me when it finished and I will pick it up. Overall the resume looked like crap, some of the changes made I can agree were needed but some of the other changes that were made was not needed.

While my mom was waiting for a phone call from a prospective employer she was working her job and still sending out online resumes.

But when you apply for a job you have to play the waiting game.

Archived