how do you survive?

Krystal_Ivy

Why isn't she equipped to do office work ? Because she doesn't have a degree ?

No, because she said in another thread she isn't qualified to do administrative assistant work and the work that is being described on this thread concerning "e-commerce" requires more office skills than an admin assist.

You're kidding right ?

To succeed in web commerce all you need is good marketing skills and the right skills to make whatever it is you are doing succeed. My mate does web design for random companies on his weekends. He can make in excess of $5000 per site, for a weekends work.

Why ? because he has fantastic programming skills - not learned at University and because he knows how to market himself and a little good luck due to the state of our economy.

He also works as a computer programmer all without a college degree.

I agree and that is not what I responded. I responded to making millions as that poster claimed in "e commerce" - you are talking about web design, which is only one facet of that kind of work (the poster who commented on e-commerce did not specify).

Obviously one can do computer programming and web design without a college degree- but the OP - who I have been responding to - doesn't have those skills (yet) and given her desire to get a job in the next two months I do not think she can get "fantastic programming skills" or enough of those skills to be hired in that capacity.

'Working hard' generally takes a while. They've got two months.

You are presuming they need 'wealth" in that short a period of time. I was responding to your claim that working hard cannot bring wealth over time. That is just plain wrong. Perhaps not two months - never claimed it did.

Once again the OP is not focused on getting rich in two months, just being gainfully employed.

I don't understand what it is about your lifestyle that prohibits you from going to school again? You aren't working...so it can't be that you can't leave your job....

People go back to school in all sorts of circumstances. With small children, after being in workforce for years, after retiring, I know couples whom "took turns" - one worked while the other went, then they switched.

There are of course jobs out there if you don't have a college degree...but generally you do need some other skill & in my observations (of friends, family without) they often involved physical labour, shift work, un-challenging work or not much growth unless you further upgrade education or really "excel". If you are open to say retail, I know you can with the right skills and attitude move to management...retail is not for everyone though but some love and excel at it (my brother does not have a college degree and is going through his management training for a good company after a few years working in retail...but he is truly "gifted" at it too and thrives in that kind of environment...I sure couldn't make it my career!).

Someone mentioned being an admin at a legal firm (one of their friends is) but I know here at least to be a legal secretary requires more training/college if you want to get above minimum wage.

There is more out there if you are "flexible" and open to different things (like Dako pointed out above).

I think you two do need to sit down and sort something out. Someone mentioned earlier financial issues are one of the biggest issues couples face, and that divide people....and they are certainly not off the mark with that. Of course, this occurs not only if money is tight, but also where you disagree on how to budget, spend, save, or have different attitudes and styles about money....but I do think when you are really, really tight with money it becomes even more of a source of conflict. Just from what I have seen.

I have a two year degree from a tech school, I was recently laid off from my postion, I wasn't make great money, but it was ok.

There are people with the same degree from the same school that make twice as much (my major is Information Technology) as I do. You don't always need a four degree to make a decent living as long as you have specific skills employers are looking for, what is your field of study exactly?

• 1 year later...

While a college degree isn't always necessary, it certainly helps. There are many jobs out there that don't require a bachelor's degree. In fact, I recently saw a program on MSNBC that college is not for everyone and many people should go for training programs instead of going into debt. A few interviewed had degrees yet were still working at $10 receptionist jobs for years after school and couldn't get better. So think long and hard about your career goals and if it's necessary to get that degree. Perhaps it is.

I'm not sure if you like the field, but healthcare is usually a good, stable pick. You certainly don't need a college degree for some of the entry-level jobs- certified nursing assistant (9 week program) or Licenseve vocational nurse (1 year program). If you go for LVN-just one year, you can transfer into an associates degree in nursing which can make decent money. or a beautician/esthetician. You really need to see what you want to do.

I want to know where someone lives who can work in a law office without a college degree? I am an office manager at my bf's law firm in my free time (I also teach and go to school), and in our area, you need at least an Associates Degree to even get an entry level job in a law office. I have a B.A. and am working on my Masters.

I want to know where someone lives who can work in a law office without a college degree? I am an office manager at my bf's law firm in my free time (I also teach and go to school), and in our area, you need at least an Associates Degree to even get an entry level job in a law office. I have a B.A. and am working on my Masters.

I live in Southern California and we have a couple of people at our firm that do not have college degrees. They answer phones, do data entry, travel arrangements, expense reports, etc.

I know a lot of people w/out degrees who work for law firms. One was an IT professional at one (and this one was a HUGE firm, very well known) and didn't even have an associate's degree, and i know two legal secretaries w/out them, and an office manager w/out one.

just curious, you mention you can teach with a BA? Where is this?

Here, to teach, you need an Education degree, even if you have a Masters or PhD, you will still need to go get an Education DEGREE on top of that, not diploma or certificate if you want to teach in a school, anywhere from kindergarten to grade 12.

Even if you have top top marks and have a Masters degree, you still cannot teach in a school.

just curious, you mention you can teach with a BA? Where is this?

Here, to teach, you need an Education degree, even if you have a Masters or PhD, you will still need to go get an Education DEGREE on top of that, not diploma or certificate if you want to teach in a school, anywhere from kindergarten to grade 12.

Even if you have top top marks and have a Masters degree, you still cannot teach in a school.

The US is really like a bunch of smaller countries pushed into the one semi united blob of states.

In some parts you don't even need a degree at all to teach. The education standards in parts are also very, very low. Their 3 year degrees are the same as 2 year degree (or TAFE) any where else. A four year degree from Canada or Australia (that means with honours) blows most of what people get in the states out of the water.

Most people in the states finish highschool do 2 years of TAFE and one year of university, roughly 75%-100% of a UK/AUS/CANADA degree. But in other parts the system is virtually the same as ours. It all really depends on where you are.

The US is really like a bunch of smaller countries pushed into the one semi united blob of states.

In some parts you don't even need a degree at all to teach. The education standards in parts are also very, very low. Their 3 year degrees are the same as 2 year degree (or TAFE) any where else. A four year degree from Canada or Australia (that means with honours) blows most of what people get in the states out of the water.

Most people in the states finish highschool do 2 years of TAFE and one year of university, roughly 75%-100% of a UK/AUS/CANADA degree. But in other parts the system is virtually the same as ours. It all really depends on where you are.

Well I don't think it's fair to say that ALL US universities are that bad. I only attended universities in Canada, but I do know this from working at universities in Canada.

I worked as a student advisor at a Canadian university and a part of that we had to do a lot of converting grades from students who had attended universities in the US

Whenever a student who had attended universities in the States, when converting their GPA to Canadian standards, we had to deduct points

So for example.. if a student did some courses at a US university and was transfering to our university, and their GPA was a 3.5 out of 4 at a US university, we would only give them a 3.0.

This was always the case for American universities.

Even in some countries, what is considered a Masters degree in some countries would only be considered a Bachelor's with honours in others.

If you are in school and working on a Masters Degree, many universities will let you teach beginning classes in your field at the university.

for example, if you are getting an Masters in English, the school will let you teach Freshman English Composition classes at the university where you are enrolled as a graduate student.

You usually can't teach at public grade, middle, and high schools without a degree in Education or a teaching certificate, but it does not require a teaching certificate to teach college, just an advanced degree (or working on one).

Archived