Getting to the Gym

OK, I'll admit, so do I!

BUT, I believe most women find it annoying to know guys are there to watch them or meet them - so I keep to myself and don't stare!

A lot of the girls in the gym do not want to be bothered at all. I do not talk to any of them. A lot of them have headsets on and they just want to work out. I just glance for a minute and thats about it.

For me, the activities I enjoy don't require a gym....(I used to go do weight training at gym though do calisthenics/light weights at home now). I am a runner, cyclist...yogi

Anyway, I do however get up before 5:00 am every weekday morning (weekends are less rigid) to do my working out, and I do it because I actually ENJOY it, because it makes me feel GOOD and gives me a sense of accomplishment. I do it so early as my days are so damn busy that if I don't I will be screwed over later that day.

I tend to also set goals for myself...various competitions/races which keeps the motivation up, and even the goal of working out with other friends and being able to keep up/smoke them helps.

Seeing the physical results and having the energy that comes along with the fitness is great too!

6am every monday, wednesday and friday.

Until 4 months ago, I used to think people who got up early to work out were a little crazy.

Then I had one stupid week back in November where I had stuff going on every day after work, so my choices were: Not go to the gym at all that week OR forego my early morning Warcracking and go to the gym instead. (Most mornings I was waking up early and would just log into WoW and play until it was time to get ready for work, then I'd go work out after work)

I figured the early morning gym trips would be just for that week.

Then I noticed a couple of things: Those days I went in the morning, I had more energy during the day and I'll be damned if the show (I'm a radio DJ) sounded better. One of the formats I'm on (I'm on 2 stations) is very up-tempo/up-beat oldies. So, I decided to try another week of early morning workouts and the pattern held -- more energy, slept better and I sounded better on the air.

After 4 months doing early morning work outs, I have noticed that I get there much more consistently than I did when I was going in the late afternoon/evening. There are also a lot less people at my gym at that time of day, so there's less BS to deal with.

At this point, I would like to publicly thank RayKay. She doesn't know this, but she also played a part in changing my attitude toward the early morning workout. Over the past few years I have seen many of her posts talking about her own early morning workout schedule, and I honestly believe that seeing her consistently posting about that sorta got into my brain and made it possible for me to make the leap myself.

At this point, I would like to publicly thank RayKay. She doesn't know this, but she also played a part in changing my attitude toward the early morning workout. Over the past few years I have seen many of her posts talking about her own early morning workout schedule, and I honestly believe that seeing her consistently posting about that sorta got into my brain and made it possible for me to make the leap myself

Wow, thanks S2S, that's definitely a compliment! I am very happy that you are finding such a benefit from the early morning workouts (as do I!).

I'm tired of being so fat that I don't fit into clothes bought in Asian countries (that's a US size 6, for anyone wondering, they only make up to a size 5. Asian countries are a lot less accepting towards overweight people. You either fit into store bought clothes, or you make your own clothes, since they won't make the adjustment to suit your needs.)

That's why I go to the gym. Every time I want to slack I remind myself what it's like to be told to shop at big and tall. Scary.

RayKay it sounds like you have the workout thing down pretty good. I also think going to the right gym matters with the whole time schedule thing too. I go to 24 Hour Fitness and they have some really great hours, which just makes it more convenient. Some of them are open 24 hours a day too, I've never did the 5am schedule though, I usually go after work.

RayKay it sounds like you have the workout thing down pretty good. I also think going to the right gym matters with the whole time schedule thing too. I go to 24 Hour Fitness and they have some really great hours, which just makes it more convenient. Some of them are open 24 hours a day too, I've never did the 5am schedule though, I usually go after work.

I do miss the gym; I went to a great small club that was mostly young professionals and the people were great (my bf still goes there) but my days are generally too busy (I am in law school FT, work PT, volunteer, have a house to maintain, a relationship to take care of, etc) that ANY more added time is impossible (I do workout 2-2.5 hours a day with the running, cycling, yoga, home training) and I cannot afford to spend more time commuting to another location (some of my days are 5am-9 or 10 pm as is). It's not the "time" they are open (I am not going to go workout in middle of night or anything, I need my sleep at some point) but the inconvenience. It is far better for me to work out from home and I don't have an excuse not too. Plus, I prefer being outdoors doing my running or whatever to being inside in a gym

Anyway, when I was more into swimming I used to go to the gym every morning at 5 am too, and all I can say is I just "do it" (as I get up at 5am now for my training) because it is important to me, and I enjoy it. It's just such a part of my life - I have been doing it this way for probably 12 or 13 years (when I was a teenager I was in wrestling for example and had to workout/run in a.m.) that it is just part of my life and my routine.

• 1 month later...
What makes you want to get up and go to the gym? Is it the workout, the classes, or maybe if your gym has a lap pool?

None of the above. I actually dread the workout. But I love feeling strong. It gets me through the rough spots. I love knowing I am processing a lot of sugars and fat out of my body. And I think about how strong my heart will stay and the fact that my spine is being supported by my muscles, much less likely to get bulging vertebrae when I am lifting heavy items. Working out can prevent or at least delay osteoporosis. I know a woman who broke her back recently in four places just by lifting two 12-packs of Coke.

Truthfully, most times it's only the fact there is a warm pool there. And steam room. And jacuzzi.

That got me through the roughest days of wanting to simply give up on all exercise forever. No matter how crap things have gotten: I can swim, I will swim dammit! It brings some sense of peace to me.

Now it's time to find some new motivations to hit the weights. I used to enjoy it, and the benefits, a lot.

I know for me and I think most people, it doesn't matter what I think I should be doing. It only matters what truly, deep down matters to me enough to get up and find a way to do it.

You always find a way then.

I want to build more muscle now, and strength. And shed off this winter 'coat'.

Lots of things in the works!

None of the above. I actually dread the workout. But I love feeling strong. It gets me through the rough spots. I love knowing I am processing a lot of sugars and fat out of my body. And I think about how strong my heart will stay and the fact that my spine is being supported by my muscles, much less likely to get bulging vertebrae when I am lifting heavy items. Working out can prevent or at least delay osteoporosis. I know a woman who broke her back recently in four places just by lifting two 12-packs of Coke.

wow really?? yeah we must stay healthy and fit!

Archived