Doing what you love vs what makes alot of money?

savatar

yeah i've done it too.. and unfortunately i just can't do it again.. i have to pay my bills. it would be a great job to do if i won the lottery or something, w here i didn't have to worry about money, but could do something I enjoyed.

Its not about buying the nice things in life... its about being able to afford basic needs.

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes but if you live in Kansas you will need doggie day care for Toto which is quite expensive.

Batya, you crack me up!

Its not about buying the nice things in life... its about being able to afford basic needs.

Yes, exactly. In some cases, doing what you love won't even let you afford basic needs. If you can afford to do humanitarian, non-profit, creative, or service work, etc. that often can not provide enough income for basic needs - depending on where you live - great! If not, then you either need to be creative about how you're going to generate additional income or find work that allows a balance between doing what you love and providing a higher income.

Yes but it depends where you want to live. If you consider a major city with rents of over 2k a month for a small one bedroom to be "hoity toity" that is your subjective definition but may not be everyone's.

You are right - it does depend on where you want to live, but I did purchase that 1 bedroom in a highrise of a hoity toity art & theatre district of a major U.S. city about 1 year after finishing school and I decided not to live there, even with the opera house down the street. I rent it out for the amount you listed and my tenant is paying off my mortgage. Would I love to live there? Of course! Does it make sense for me to? Nah, I think it's stupid to pay that amount to live there, so I'd rather have a tenant pay off my mortgage and fully own it in less than 10 years. It's a sweet place, but it's definitely hoity toity.

Most of my colleagues live in the city and need 3/4 of there salary to live by there standards, minimum; they complain about how they need more money, etc. I've lived in the 'dreaded' far suburbs for 4 years now since finishing school and I commute in 1 hour by train. The cost of living is super cheap where I live, and on top of my hoity toity condo I just bought a multi-family flat. My peers think I am so successful but I don't think so - I just make different decisions with my money. They whine about money all the time, but they NEED to live in the best neighborhood of the city which they work in. I find it amusing and don't have sympathy for people like that.

Because the more you make, the more you spend.

People will manage on almost any income. You can adjust your lifestyle to just about anything (without getting ridiculous).

Correct, consumption increases with income. Again, choices which people make. My parents never did though. I haven't done that either. My brother bought his first rental property as a senior in college, using money from part time jobs and internships as his down payment.

I can learn to become happy with a job, I don't go to work to be happy afterall so that attitude is what has allowed me to not go crazy doing part-time jobs like telemarketing lol.

So as long as it's not something that I totally despise doing, I'd choose money over doing what I love, unless doing what I love was enough to pay for rent/housing, a car, all my bills and maybe $300 a month left over to spend/save. My plans been that initially I'll take whatever job offers the most money so that I can pay down my student debt and move out/get a car right after college and then once I've paid down those expenses I can look in to doing something I enjoy more. But then again alot of people probably have had a similar plan and they wind up always working in the higher paying industry since even after they've taken care of basic living needs and student debt, they're either too used to the higher standard of living or are getting married with kids on the way so they can't afford a lower paying job.

Ultimately though as I said, I can learn to make the best of boring work situations so money probably wins out for me.

I think some people enjoy making money. I think some people love to be in control of money, I think some people like to feel they are above other people. I think professions that pay a lot of money will tend to get you those things.

thereforeeee a lot of people with shallow, well paying jobs are actually very happy.

The only reason I would want to make a lot of money is to use it for evil purposes. I have no desire to own a large home or a fancy car.

I think some people who want to feel superior to others and who are shallow will make their job, whatever it is - whether a clerk at a store or a CEO at a bank - into what they want it to be and will find a way to conform the job to their character traits. I've interacted with some very power hungry and condescending clerks and some very humble CEOs and people in similar managerial positions in blue chip companies.

I think it's foolish and unfair to generalize that people with well paying jobs are shallow or want to feel above other people. Or that they want a big home or a fancy car. Perhaps they want to give more to charity, be able to send their children to college or have a nest egg for retirement.

The only reason I would want to make a lot of money is to use it for evil purposes.

I assume you're joking here - hope so.

I think it's foolish and unfair to generalize that people with well paying jobs are shallow or want to feel above other people. Or that they want a big home or a fancy car. Perhaps they want to give more to charity, be able to send their children to college or have a nest egg for retirement.

It took me a long time to learn this. I admit I had a prejudice against people with a lot of money when I was younger. But now I realize money, in and of itself, is not evil. It's the people who use it to exploit others who give money a bad name.

CP posted on another thread (I think started by SadAsianMale) about how if he had a lot of money:

"I'd use the money to get women, first and foremost. I'd take advantage of lots of young women until I got tired of them all, which would be never."

I believe that is what he was referring to.

I see. Well, what comes around, goes around is all I can say.

Right, the (hypothetical) girls that are dumb enough to fall for CP's shiny toys should he become rich will get what they deserve once he's over and done with them. Come on, it's not as if the girls that would fall for him because he's rich are blameless. They'd deserve eachother.

Archived