How many here have seen a counselor? If so did it help you out? Or was it a waste?

How many here have seen a counselor for advise in relationships, love etc etc? If so did it help you out with the problem you have? Or was it just a waste of time and money for you?

Reason I am asking is because I am wondering if I should talk to a counselor? A lot of people here knows what my problem is and I am wondering if seeing and paying a counselor and seeing what he or she says to me is worth it? I really don't know where else to turn to I just don't want to pay $$ to see a counselor and getting nothing out of it and nothing changing at all.

If you are to take your decision based on my comments, you should at least know that I am a very self-conscious man that has got to a level where no one else aside of me can truly guide me, help me taking decisions in my life.

The bad side is that I have always felt that it was a waste of time.

The good side is that it made me feel good to vent.

I have been when it was helpfull and I have been when I felt it was a waiste. When it wasn't so helpfull, I think it's because we went as a couple and one of us wasn't really making much of an effort. I think it could of been helpfull as the therapist had some neat ideas but it just seemed we weren't getting anywhere at all. When I went alone, I found it very helpful. Id do it again.

I spent most of my 30's in therapy. It was worth every minute and every penny I spent on it, and I still benefit from what I learned there today.

I also saw counselors on and off in my late teens and early 20's and those experiences were useless. A waste of my time & money and the counselor's time.

The difference between my therapy experience in my 30's as opposed to when I was younger? Very simply: my own motivation to look at the stuff I needed to look at and get off my ass and do something about it.

In my teens and 20's, I thought just talking to the counselor was supposed to fix things. I suspect this is a common misconception. The counselor is only a guide -- you still have to do all the heavy lifting and walk the path.

If you are truly ready to take a long, hard and brutally honest look at yourself, your beliefs, your behaviors, and your choices, taking full responsibility for yourself and your life, and then go about changing the things that are not working, then you will find therapy a great tool to help you with this task.

If you are not ready to do the work, you can probably find better things to do with your time and money.

I think it can be really helpful, but you can only get out of it what you put in. You have to be really honest with yourself about why you're doing it and what you want to accomplish or change and not try to cover things up.

You also have to find someone who you trust and respect and have a good rapport with in order for your sessions to be productive.

My gf and I have been going for a few months and it is helping us quite a bit. I'm glad we are going. It has proven to be very productive and time well spent for both of us.

I saw a therapist for about a year, while my divorce was being finalized. It was extremely helpful. It's a great opportunity to talk about how you're thinking and feeling about things...and perhaps more importantly, to work with your therapist to figure out WHY you're thinking and feeling those things, and what to change.

I think it's important to find somebody who is licensed and comes highly recommended. There seem to be a lot of so-so mental health care people out there. Also, check with your insurance to see if your visits would be covered. Mine were, so it only cost 12 dollars a week (the insurance paid the rest of the 140 dollar an hour fee!).

This is an interesting question since I attended my first counseling session (by myself) today. I thought it was helpful. I don't think he told me anything I didn't know already yet, but I plan on going back soon.

I went once before as a couple. I think it could have helped if we had continued. Unfortunately there was a fair amount of frustration and anger at that point because things had been allowed to get that far. I would though recommend people attending sessions both individually and as couples.

I think it can be useful, even if its just another outlet for things.

For many it's very useful if you get a good one. More often than not, getting stuff off your chest is cathartic. Also for many hearing from an outside source, things you knew already to be true makes the difference. I think most people, not suffering from a major mental illness are pretty aware what's wrong with their lives and often know how to fix it too. If they don't a counselor may spot the source of the problem, helping the person move on from that and giving them strategies to accomplish that. Lack of confidence in themselves can stop that.

Archived