First date with a girl whose dad left her when she was little

whatif

I need ENA visioneers' help with this situation.

I have been trying to hang out with this girl for the last couple of weekend, and, I believe, I am finally having at least a dinner with ther this evening.

We have talked and know each other for a while, but never an evening out together.

Here is the dilemma. Our families are from India and divorse or fathers leaving is a big taboo in our culture. Her dad had left her mom for a much younger woman when she was about 10 years old, and it had made headlines within the community. I am sure it had scarred her back then, and still causing her a great deal of discomfort since her mom never got remarried.

Question is, since today being Fathers' Day, should I ask her anything about her feelings, or should I just act normal and don't bring up the fathers' day at all unless she brings it up? What's the best strategy?

Once again, thanks for your time and wisdom.

Yes I agree with Cimmie.

This is a first date and I wouldn't bring up something that could provoke intense feelings and upset her. If she brings it up herself, your best strategy is to listen and support her.

But definitely don't be the one to initiate the topic.

I have a similar situation, my parents divorced when i was about 7 and i've never seen my mom again ever since then. I also recently found out i have 2 half sisters that i've never met but that's a whole different story.

Anyways, definitely don't bring it up on the date.

What if she asks me about what I did for my dad? Don't I have to at least ask her if her dad called or how you feel or something in that nature?

I don't want to act like i don't know nothing about her when we both know I know all about it.

But after reading four agreed opinions, I am definitly not bringing it up.

Archived