Depression suffers, i need ur help

Well heres my problem.

I've been diagnosed with major depression and have been on medication for about 6 months now, and have also been seeing a councellor. But the problem is with my boyfriend. Because i feel so alone and messed up, sometimes i dont feel that i love him anymore. Although i knew it would hurt him greatly, i told him that sometimes and alot of the time i just dont feel the way i used to feel.

Is this because of the actual depression itself

Well butterfly girl it could be alot of things at this point. now would be a good time to talk it out with your boyfriend on what is going on and what it is that bothers you. depression itself does have a role in it. it is keeping you from having the feelings for him that you want to give. im sure that right now is going to make it hard on the both of you and that it may fall apart if you dont work at it to keep it from breaking. im sure he would be more than happy to help you as well as anyone else around you. all you have to do is ask. keeping it from others and letting it stay inside makes it worse and not just for you, but for everyone else. i hope that you can get through this. take care and i hoped that i helped some.

• 4 weeks later...

Depression is a sickness of the mind. As with any sickness, when you fight it and it takes a lot out of you. Possibly you're giving so much of yourself to fight this depression that you have nothing left for you boyfriend. Be honest with him. Decide if you think it's important that he be free but, if you need him, ask him if he'll be a friend for you right now. There's really no point to being in a relationship if you're not healthy enough to give him the love he needs.

I think depression is far to overwelming to deal with love, does your boyfriend comprehend that. How can you focus on a relationship, when you are trying to mend yourself, sounds rather difficult. Get yourself healed, take each day one at a time, learning to love yourself first, then invite others in. In time you will know if you want to share your wonderful self with this particular young man.

• 2 weeks later...

yes i have a major depression too.. and all i have to say is .. it could be the depression... and it coule be your heart.. i wouldn't know because im not you.. but maybe if you sat down and thought about the good and bad in your relationship... like 'does he make me happy' 'isn't he the sweetest guy i ever met' etc etc... or 'does he hurt my feelings ' .. that might help... but just doing it to make him happy. will NOT make you happy.. and thats what you need...you need to love yourself and make yourself happy before you can love or do so to others. remember that... now im not tellin you to break his heart. or to stay.. im just lettin you know how i feel...and maybe that will help you i hope ..

• 11 years later...

Butterfly Girl, I also have been diagnosed with major depressive disorder. I am in a long term, committed relationship and have only been on my medication for 6 months as well. What I can tell you about major depressive disorder is that it takes awhile for the medication to really get in your system and help suppress your depression. So, while your medication is working to help you, your body is working extra hard to make you feel better. As great as boyfriends can be, sometimes they're just too much to take on when we are sick. Its okay to be selfish right now. Getting this diagnoses rocked my world, I am lucky enough to have a very supportive boyfriend who I rely on a lot, but if you feel that you don't love him anymore that's okay too. You get to worry about yourself.

The other thing about major depressive disorder is that you'll go in fits and spurts. You won't be depressed forever and you won't be happy forever. So, while you're in your depressed state of mind, everything probably seems messed up right now not just your relationship. So, maybe give it a little while till you start feeling better. If you loved him before your diagnoses and he is still with you after it, it might be worth waiting on.

Hope you start feeling well soon!

Archived