I don’t think my new friends want to be around me anymore

annie-47

At my university I’ve gotten to know other students in my classes but none of them have really “stuck” - as in, we actually hang out outside of school and consider each other friends. I don’t really have a lot of friends in general either. This last quarter though I really got along well with three particular people in my class and we had a small get together at someone’s place. Well I ended up completely wasted and the other three were pretty sober compared to me (I was under the impression that we were all going to drink a lot, so I did). This is the second time I’ve gotten this drunk. I had a lot of fun and I think they may have too, but I felt so embarrassed. I was “that” drunk person making a fool of themselves at a party, and I’m still getting to know these people. I threw up in his sink and passed out on the couch for a few hours until I sobered up and drove home. I felt so much like I was imposing, and I apologized a million times. They all assured me that it’s not a problem and I shouldn’t be sorry.... but...

I’m starting to feel like they don’t want to speak to me anymore. I’ve tried initiating a conversation in our group text and it gets quiet pretty quickly, so I stopped and now no one has said anything for weeks. I’m so paranoid and I keep thinking that they started a new group chat without me.

I thought maybe that I could actually make and keep these friends, but it seems like we might fade out like everyone else has. I’m just not sure what I should do next. I don’t want to keep forcing a conversation and seem like a needy person, but I really like these people...

For reference they are 3-4 years younger than me (I’m 24).

I agree with the others. They were fine short term with taking care of you after your decision to drink and take the consequences. They accepted your apology. Doesn't mean they want to spend time around you anymore because they don't want a repeat of that behavior or mess. I've made similar choices to avoid people who get drunk like that. It's fun for some, not for me.

Archived