My dads freaks out when I drive with him

Pige1818

I just got my permit a few days ago. My dad has been really busy with work so he hasn't had a chance to go driving with me (he is usually the one who does those kinds of things). So I ended up going with my mom and I was really nervous she would be freaking out but it ended up going really well. Then finally I got to go with my dad and I was really excited. It went horribly, he would over direct like tell me to slow down when I was way under the speed limit and there was no one ahead of me stoping. Telling me to stop at a stop sign ( I know I need to stop at a stop sign). When I started to say something like I know or stop it I know that I need to do that he would get mad at me. He'd say that Im a new driver and that I need to listen to everything he says even if I already knew what he was saying. Him doing that that makes me nervous and gets me distracted. Because of all that I was doing really bad turning left instead of right and overall crawling it was really bad. What should I do? I don't want to drive with him again.

Stick with mom since she seems to have a cooler head about it. Your dad is too nervous. Doesn't make him bad, actually pretty normal behavior for parents. Just that you are correct that it's distracting. Other than that, maybe try to chill out yourself and just humor him and do what he says without arguing that you know. He knows that you know but this is about him and his nervousness so you will need to be the adult and just chill and let him dictate until he calms down and gets over himself. I know it's annoying, but welcome to driving. There is a reason for all the backseat driver jokes out there. You'll encounter many.

Archived