In my everyday life I am fine. I go to my job at a salon, interact with many people, see my bf, my family etc. So I am happy in those aspects...but when it comes to school I become very depressed. I feel hopeless about my schooling, my future, I do not put in the effort I should. I skip many classes and become anxious about it. When I think about it I become very depressed because I know I am smarter but I feel so unmotivated to be there and uncertain about my future. It's like I don't really wanna be there but at the same time, I know I will be seen as a failure if I don't graduate university.

I did not always have this attitude toward school. The feelings of hopelessness are definitley making me think depression but I feel fine when I am not thinking of school. I'm also going into my third year so it is not like I've just got to uni I have built up somewhat of a standing and now I can't be bothered. Part of me wants to take time off but I'm already 21 and I know I will look lazy or stupid to my family if I did I just don't know how to get over these feelings and step it up. I feel like for the spring term I have already messed up my grades and now I feel nervous I will get academic probation. I get anxiety when I think about going to a class I missed because I think people will stare at me..I know this sounds silly but it is a huge worry to me and the more anxious I get the more I avoid.

This definitely sounds like a depression. Lack of motivation is a huge sign, especially when it was there before and when combined with the anxiety about your future.

Taking some time off could definitely help, but it may not be the right thing for you. I would suggest seeing a counselor or therapist and getting their perspective, because there may be some coping methods you can use at the same time as finishing school.

Archived