Overcoming alcohol mom

boulderboi2017

I'm 18 and my entire life I've had a alcoholic mom. I'll try to keep details short and get to the point but I think some background is necessary. Currently I'm in a relationship with a great girl and we've been together for around 6 months. When we met my life was great, I was in a good place and I was extremely confident and happy. But something's changed and now I'm not as confident and have extreme trust issues and I think I've been slightly depressed. I'm constantly making up theories in my head about her cheating on me or hitting on other guys and it's not fair to her and I want to change myself. I think we both love each other a lot and she's stuck by me and supported me. But anyway, I'm just not sure where these issues came from. When I was young (around 7ish) I found a bottle of vodka hidden and didn't think of it as anything but it turns out my mom was a alcoholic. I kept it in for years even though I could immediately tell whether she had been drinking. When I was a kid She fell while drunk and I had to call 911 because no one else was home. At its worst, a couple summers ago, my mom had gone to rehab a few times but relapsed. She attempted to commit suicide and I found her in the garage with a knife by her and a cut on her arm. That's not even all the things I've been through, but either way I've seen some dark stuff. I went to therapy for awhile and talked about some of it with a therapist but I never opened up about everything because I wasn't comfortable. Either way I think this is why I'm having such bad confidence and other issues in my relationship. Maybe it's not, but is it a good idea to go back to a therapist I feel more comfortable with and talk about everything in my relationship and with my mom? I just want to get back to how I was because I want to be better for this girl.

I've also dealt with this except I'm double your age. Is your father around? If not is he sober? Besides the GF issues I'd concentrate on yourself. Did you graduate HS? What are you doing afterwards? Job or schooling? Therapy will help. Your mom can only help herself though. You did nothing wrong. I asked about college or a job or father figure to see if you can leave the situation.

I've also dealt with this except I'm double your age. Is your father around? If not is he sober? Besides the GF issues I'd concentrate on yourself. Did you graduate HS? What are you doing afterwards? Job or schooling? Therapy will help. Your mom can only help herself though. You did nothing wrong. I asked about college or a job or father figure to see if you can leave the situation.

Yeah my dads around and he provides for us well. We're a upper middle class family so I'm grateful to live the life I do. I'm graduating high school in may and then I'm going to college in Boulder, Colorado. Not going to lie I'm happy that this is the last couple months I have to live here.

is it a good idea to go back to a therapist I feel more comfortable with and talk about everything in my relationship and with my mom? I just want to get back to how I was because I want to be better for this girl.

You already know the path you need to take. Consider the same therapist (if they were helpful) if not start fresh with another therapist. You cannot change the fact your Mom is an alcoholic, but you can set the right course for your life. You are 18 with your whole life ahead of you. It would be great to see things continue well with your girlfriend and your studies.

Archived