How to handle this?

Hi ENA. I have a question regarding interview etiquette...

I was looking at job postings and I found a job that I am super interested in at a company that one of my best friends works at. I told him I'm interested and he forwarded my resume to HR, indicating which role I expressed interest in. I heard from HR within a day and they scheduled an interview.

The issue is the interview is for a position I'm completely not interested in. The role I want is a strategy position. I am qualified, so that's not an issue. The role the interview is for is to work on a offshore rig for 3 years for operations training. I'm not interested in the month on/month off lifestyle, so I simply don't want that job.

My interview is Wednesday. What should I do? I'm thinking of saying something along the lines of "my master's program has sparked an interest in strategy and I've been hoping to pivot in to a role focused on that. I'm honored to be considered for the engineer trainee role, but would you be open to discussing my fit in the strategy role?"

Does that sound ok? Should I call ahead of the interview or mention it during? The interview is over the phone, if that's relevant.

Thank you! I want to handle this correctly so I don't burn any bridges.

Was the position that you wanted in any sort of cover letter, etc, or did your friend mistakenly submit you for the wrong position. When you received the phone call or the email about the interview and the job title was wrong, I would have confirmed with a reiteration that you had applied for the strategy position. "i just want to clarify that the interview was for the strategy role I had applied for..."

"my master's program has been heavily influenced by engineering (?) strategy. Although i am being interviewed for the engineering trainee role and its a great way to introduce myself to the company but, in actuality, I had submitted my resume for the strategy role" Get rid of the tentative "hoped to" and "would you be open" and be very definite. Maybe there was a mix up of some sort.

Hi ENA. I have a question regarding interview etiquette...

I was looking at job postings and I found a job that I am super interested in at a company that one of my best friends works at. I told him I'm interested and he forwarded my resume to HR, indicating which role I expressed interest in. I heard from HR within a day and they scheduled an interview.

The issue is the interview is for a position I'm completely not interested in. The role I want is a strategy position. I am qualified, so that's not an issue. The role the interview is for is to work on a offshore rig for 3 years for operations training. I'm not interested in the month on/month off lifestyle, so I simply don't want that job.

My interview is Wednesday. What should I do? I'm thinking of saying something along the lines of "my master's program has sparked an interest in strategy and I've been hoping to pivot in to a role focused on that. I'm honored to be considered for the engineer trainee role, but would you be open to discussing my fit in the strategy role?"

Does that sound ok? Should I call ahead of the interview or mention it during? The interview is over the phone, if that's relevant.

Thank you! I want to handle this correctly so I don't burn any bridges.

Did you mention that in your objective for the resume and cover letter? Also did you mention to your best friend you were interested in a strategy position?

If not, make sure to list that important info in your resume moving forward.

If the position that you are not interested in, please make sure to not accept it next time. It's because HR will see it as "wasting their time."

This is what I would do. I would call them up and ask if the other position is available as well. If so, then you would like to schedule an interview for that position. If they ask why? Just say that your qualifications match the requirements that they are looking for in a candidate for that position.

GOOD LUCK.

-------------------------

Dang people post so fast. LOL Sorry if the questions got repeated.

Good questions. My friend had been talking to HR and they said they wanted more women the day before so me mentioning this position was good timing. He emailed them and specified which role I wanted and I never technically applied for anything (or even wrote a cover letter).

I did not confirm the position which was my mistake at the original call. I was initially just excited to get an interview...

I like your phrasing. Those are good modifications

Excellent. Nothing wrong with discussing your ambitions.

Now. be late make them wait to respect you, wear sweats explain it's casual office day, say "hey" when you walk in, eat candy of course offer some, say 'can we speed this up, I haven't got all day' and of course upon leaving wave and say 'it's been real..see ya'.

Haha people did respond quick! Thank you everyone! I was responding to abitbroken and didn't see anyone else.

My friend did know which role I wanted, so that makes me feel less awkward (because HR knew that was my interest)

I definitely screwed up accepting and not clarifying. I regret that.

I don't think people are only brought in at entry level but I'm not sure.

I'll be honest - initially I thought I could do this offshore program. They market it really well. It's prestigious, places you in management after 5 years, and allows for international assignments. At first I thought that could be cool.

However, after hanging up, I had an intensely visceral reaction. I would be 30 when I stop being a "trainee". 30 and spending half-60% of my life away. I wouldn't be able to have s dog. Meeting a guy would become incredibly difficult. We could live together and it would still be long distance. I would miss out on holiday events.

After my reaction, I definitively knew the position wasn't for me.

Wiseman... what? Lol.

It wasn't! They asked how my friend got my resume and I said I originally applied for the strategy job. They then asked what I like most about my degree and I talked about my strategy classes. At the end i said if I'm not a fit for this this position I would love to be considered for the strategy one

At the end i said if I'm not a fit for this this position I would love to be considered for the strategy one

I would have said that if I am fit for the position, I am more interested in the strategy job, rather than in essence saying that if you DON'T qualify for the position you rather not have. They may take you literally I hope you get the job you want.

Well done!

It wasn't! They asked how my friend got my resume and I said I originally applied for the strategy job. They then asked what I like most about my degree and I talked about my strategy classes. At the end i said if I'm not a fit for this this position I would love to be considered for the strategy one

Archived