Help with my cat. part 2

Almira23

Hello everyone,

I am faced with a problem that I would like some help with. A couple of weeks ago, I posted a forum asking people how I can stop my cat from excessively meowing throughout the night. A couple of people suggested that I take him to the vet, so I did. Well, once I was at the vet, he did a complete exam where he diagnosed my cat with immune-mediated polyarthritis. This is the equivalent of rheumatoid arthritis in humans.Basically, he notified me that my cat would be under constant medication/therapy, his life span is cut shorter, and it is not out of the question that in a couple of years I may have to put the cat down due to the enormous pain that he will be in. Faced with this news, I went to another vet, who confirmed the diagnosis and told me the same thing.

I am basically writing this forum to ask what the right thing to do is..

I am full time grad student and I work full time as I support myself and my parents. Money is really tight and all of my money goes to expenses towards the house and school. I don't think that I will be able to afford the cat's therapy and medication. To run all the tests and set up a complete treatment plan would cost me another 900$.

The second vet gave me some medicine that she ensured would help with the symptoms, but he is still limping and unable to walk or stand for a long period of time. The cat rarely eats and has lost weight. He went from 9 to 7 pounds in 2 weeks. He refuses to eat wet cat food or treats. He eats about twice per day; very small amounts, doesn't play, and spend the majority of his day sleeping.

It breaks my heart to see him like this and I don't know what to do. I have a follow up appointment with the vet Thursday to see if the medication is working and to put the cat on another treatment plan if it isn't, but this treatment plan would cost me another $200.00, I have already spent about $400 to get the cat diagnosed and have medicine prescribed.

I contacted the rescue organization and the owner advised me that I should return the cat and she will research his condition and see what she can do to help him, but euthanasia is likely on her end.

I know it may seem like a terrible thing to do, but I am considering taking him back. I can't bare to watch him in the current state that he is in and I don't want to be faced with the decision of putting him down in a couple of years if his condition worsens.

Do I have any other options? Does this seem like the right thing to do? Or is there something else. Please help

Maybe euthanasia ? I can guarantee you no one wants to take on animals that are severely sick. I know it sounds cruel but he would live out his days at the rescue. Don't get me wrong I adore animals but I hate to see them in pain. When my one cat got cancer we put him down. We got him as a rescue because his orginal family could not afford the meds for his COPD they caused. We also had some of his teeth removed that they could not afford . However his cancer surgery he would not have survived.

Thank you for your response, Victoria. I was considering that as an option, but I don't know if I can mentally take seeing him die in my arms. Two years ago, I had to have my cat of 12 years euthanized and I still think about that incident a lot.

It is difficult for sure. But the cat needs relief far more. Right?

I would consider what you think would be worse for the cat. Going back to the shelter and being in a cage for who know how long with or without any help or pain relief and being euthanized without loving arms. Or being euthanized in your arms and not in a place with no one there to love him/her. I had to make this choice maybe 2 moths ago..... Die one day under my daughters bed with no one there or leave this life with us both there to love him. It's a hard choice and a painful one, but if you can not afford the treatment that will last for the remainder of his short years please don't send him back to the shelter as she already told you the outcome will probably be the same. Love to you and your fur baby as you make this decision.

Thank you, catfeeder, catcountry, and Victoria. I appreciate the advice and the kind words. You all are right. With euthanasia the likely result, I should try and make the last few days as comfortable as possible for him, so he isn't in pain and cooped up in a cage.

I'll make an appointment this week.

Thanks again.

Archived