Help with other cat who destroys carpets/wires etc.

Diggitydave

Many of you have read my other thread in regards to putting my cat to rest and I thank you so much for your help.

This problem however deals with another cat that lives with us. Her name is fluffy. She was a rescue that was raised with dogs. My fiancee has had her for quite some time.

The problem is that she has always chewed wires so she's locked in the bedroom with the two other cats my fiancee already had. Those two are fine. Fluffy however has taken to destroying the carpet near the door because she wants to come out. We already know she has a wire chewing problem so she can't be out of the bedroom.

She has taken to wake us up whenever we are trying to sleep pulling at the carpet. The carpet near the door is destroyed.

We don't know what to do. She's too old to declaw and neither of us really believe in that anyway. She can't go out of the room because she'll chew all the wires.

We are at our wits end. Today (Thanksgiving) I woke up so miserable and of course an argument between my fiancee and I ensued. We tried to take a nap and fluffy started going at it again. So with Thanksgiving cooking, the kids, etc we're exhausted.

We've tried using sprays that are supposed to repel animals from certain areas and she's apparently impervious to them. We've reprimanded her with a spray bottle and nothing works. Cats near us seem to get hit by cars a lot and it's getting cold out so that might be out of the question to leave her outside. She was an outdoor cat at some point and is ok being on the front porch. Like I said however, it's getting cold and we don't want her to get hit by a car.

I adore animals and even feel guilty with a spray bottle. Please help!

i'm afraid you will have to go though the hassle of running all your cords inside those protective shafts i duuno what they're called, thin plastic shafts you fasten against the wall.

she will get more and more frustrated and destructive if she's restricted to a closed room.

how did your partner handle it before, was she an outdoor kitty?

Not sure if I can post a link or not, but on Amazon they have an item called "Catsafe Cord Cover" - protects pets that chew wires. There were several products that came up on a google search - this one looks particularly promising and is affordable enough (less than 20 bucks) that you could try it and see, maybe start with one cord and do a test/see if it works for Fluffy. If it does work, it would be worth the investment to cover every wire in the house! Good luck, and keep us posted with your solutions/results!

You can get soft claws put on for the tearing of the carpet, most vet offices will have the vet techs put them on for cheap. It just glues plastic coverings to their claws, can still climb and all but not. E destructive. We had to put them on our cat for a while because he had a really bad ear infection and was scratching so bad he was tearing his skin open. They worked great and stayed on for I think about a month or more.

He hated them at first, but eventually got used to it

Archived