Follow him to a nearby college or take a stab at long distance?

Elly17

As a senior in high school, college is only a few months away. The process of doing my research and filling out applications both excite me and scare me at the same time, for I have absolutely no idea what I want to do. This doesn't quite help me pick out where I want to go either; I live in an overseas military base, and my love for traveling and wanting to try someplace new has never been a foreign concept for me.

Unfortunately, I have one problem that distracts me from all of this: my high school boyfriend whom I've been with since the beginning of freshman year. It's incredible to think I could have been with him for so long, nor did I ever think I'd be faced with such a dilemma. He's set on the Air Force Academy, and nothing will ever change his mind. And I'm proud of him for doing so! I'm positive that he will get in, and if not, the preparatory school. It's just something he's had his eyes on since sophomore year, and his dedication and ambition in getting to this school is admirable.

But now I'm looking at schools in Colorado simply because that's where he will be, just to shorten the distance between us. My in-state is Washington, someplace impossible to drive to for a day trip. There's only one school that has all majors I'd look into, and any other school is just too far away. Do I go to that Colorado school 10 minutes away anyways because it has what I want and seems to be a match for me? Or do I just not bother and take a stab at long distance?

Neither of us really want to break up, but both of us want to stay realistic as possible to avoid any unnecessary pain and heartbreak. He even once let slip a mention about taking me with him on his career as an officer once he graduates, but nothing in the future is guaranteed. It hurts like hell to think about it, but it's inevitable and I want advice without feeling judged for wanting to be closer to him.

I'm going to be brutally honest here, because I don't want this happening to you:

College will make or break relationships. High school relationships rarely stick it out. I was engaged to a Marine when starting my first year of college and it didn't work out. Very, very few people end up marrying their high school sweethearts because people change over time. You will change, and so will he. To continue dating someone since freshman year is quite an accomplishment because of how teenagers generally are. However, your priorities are going to shift once you graduate and land on college. The question is how and if those priories will start to change how you feel about each other.

Picking a college just to be close to a boyfriend is not a good idea. Your education should come first. Being involved in a relationship is fine as long as you don't lose sight of your education and future opportunities. In the end, you have to prepare to support yourself because no one is going to do it for you. What if a marriage falls sour- can you financially support yourself or will you stick with a husband you aren't happy with? Be realistic here and always have a Plan B. Honestly at this time, you should be researching schools with reputable programs and maintain solid connections to internship programs- that's what gets you the job out of school. I had to go back to school and learn this myself because I couldn't find stable employment to support myself with a bachelors degree. And boy, did it cost me in student loan debt!

Save yourself some money and find a school that is right for you. You have to look at college as a future investment. Because really, you are handing the school thousands of dollars every year that either your parents are paying for, OR you will end up paying back. If you go to a school that isn't goig to prepare you for a future and you just did it for a boyfriend you may/may not stay together with... You will end up resenting yourself once you look at the tuition bill you owe.

You need to be able to support yourself first before depending on a relationship. If the relationship was meant to be, it will work out. My husband and I went LDR for a few years due to school and job placement and still managed to stay together. It was not easy, we broke up for one year to see other people, but we knew we were meant for each other in the end.

Colorado seems nice. Not to mention that "It's incredible to think I could have been with him for so long..." That's pretty awesome!

I spent a career in the Air Force. It's a decent life. Personally, I have no regrets... With the exception of being away from my family for long periods of time. But it was the life we choose. He has dreams of going to the Air Force Academy... That is a good dream. I don't know what your dreams are, but I have a guess that he is in that dream. Follow your heart on this. You know yourself and your boy friend better than anyone here ever will.

Personally... Colorado seems pretty nice.

I wish you and your boy friend the best.

Archived