dad passed away, making adult decisions

hello, recently my dad passed away. and since then. my family been trying to get things back to normal. Theres a lot of loose ends that I dont know how to handle hopefully, guidence from here will put me on the right track. here are the dilimas that im facing right now.

1) since my dad passed my mom told me that house has to be in my name. (since im the only one who has good credit) and if i choose not put my name on there. were going to have to move out. I want to stay.

2) my dad bought a new car, it was for my mom. my mom dosent work. And i cant pay for two car payments. what can i do?

3) verbally, my dad said we would be taking care of ( life insurance). but on the will it said it would go to his brother. im kind of upset, not because the money. but he left us with a grip of debt. should I contact my uncle? or what should i do?

i think thats it for now. if anything come up ill post it on here. thanks guys.

You need to consult an estate attorney. You are not responsible for his debt, unless other family are involved. Sell the car. You can ask your uncle for help but he does not have to undo what your father left him.

1) since my dad passed my mom told me that house has to be in my name. and if i choose not put my name on there. were going to have to move out. I want to stay.

Yup, estate attorney. I also don't think there's any harm in getting in touch with your uncle and filling him in on the immediate financial burdens your father left his dependents. Typically when money is left with non-dependents, it's because the deceased trusted that person with responsibly allocating the money, but it may be a different story here.

Houses and cars can be sold. And you are not at all obligated to take a house under your name. Don't worry, just get some counsel.

Archived