Should I Now or Should I Wait?

ladybug28

My husband and I are moving back to my in-laws (his dad and his dad's girlfriend) because they need help paying rent. Currently we have a 1 bedroom apartment. When we move back to my in-laws, we will be in a 3 bedroom; they will have 1 bedroom and we would have two. One accross the way from the other. My husband and I have about $3000 in debt and I figured it out and if we live there for 1 year (we'll be paying $700 a month for rent and we live in the SF Bay Area) in a year's time we'll be able to pay off that debt. I make $15 an hour and he makes $13. We both have medical, dental, and vision benefits. My husband says that since we'll be paying $500 a month less in rent, we could start trying right after we move back to the in-laws. I was thinking we could start trying after we pay off the debt and move back out of the in-laws or depending on how the living situation goes, pay off the debt, continue living there and have the baby. His dad's girlfriend has offered to watch the baby once I go back to work whether or not we live there. Sooo do I have a baby right away, or wait and move out, or wait and have one and stay. Just want some general advice. Thanks!

I would start trying for the baby when you're half paid off in your debt but I would budget for child care -you have no idea what your dad's girlfriend's situation will be in over a year from now or whether you will be on the same page about infant/child care. Is there any medical reason for you to start trying earlier?

Batya, No I don't believe there is any medical reason. I have been on ortho evra (patch) birth control for 4 years. Should I go to my OBGYN to start talking about conceiving? My husband and I are currently both 26 turning 27 this year. By the time we pay off the debt, my husband will be 27 and I will be 28. I'm not sure how long it might take me to get pregnant if I even can. That's why im looking at all scenarios.

28 isn't that old to start having babies Don't let your "biological clock" tell you that you are running out of time. If you are worried talk to your OBGYN and get her/his opinion. But I would certainly wait until after you have most of the debt paid off and possibly living on your own again.

Archived