Is it okay to leave my 8 week old kitten alone?!

dropkicklife

I just got this 8 week old kitten today and i have to leave her alone for 24 hours while i work the st.pat's parade then work at my grand-da's bar.

She's in my room with plenty of food, water and toys I just feel bad about leaving her.

I've been told a cat can die being left alone, is that true?

I often leave my cat alone for 24 hours. I've even left her for 2 days and she was fine. She's not a kitten but cats are very independent. Make sure there's a litter box, food and water and it should be fine. Do you know anyone that can stop by to check on the kitten to give you peace of mind? I don't think a cat will die from being alone for 24 hours even without food. They're animals, humans often think about their pets as having human emotions but really the cat probably won't care too much.

Well, kittens are babies and they are very playful. They will try and climb the most ridiculous things and if anything even stirs a little, a kitten will most likely start batting it around and rolling all over the place with it. Cats a very independent as adults and would probably love the house to themselves during the day for their sleepy times but a kitten needs lots of time and attention - which I'm sure you've got apart from this 24 gig. These two reasons could make it quite dangerous for a bored kitten alone in the house with all this excess energy. Accidents could happen in a split second even while you are in a house, but if kitten gets trapped somewhere or unable to access it's food and water through some accident then this 24 hour work you have could be a death sentence for kitty.

I hope someone is able to go and check on her, and if not I would advise you reconsider one of the jobs and stay at home. This little animal has it's life in your hands and I'm sure risking it for an extra load of work is not worth it to you. It won't always be like this, kittens are just very energetic and very clumsy! I'm sure you've noticed by now they are always falling off things and being curious little things about every mundane thing about the house. I would suggest the longest time you leave a kitten alone is about 8 hours, but you can check on other forums targeted especially for cat owners to get their opinion.

I think because it's a kitten, if you can have a friend check in on her, that would be great. An adult cat I would not worry about. Just in case, I would take the kitten's collar off (or make sure you have one of those safe release collars). Sometimes cats and kittens do silly stuff like climb and fall and their collar gets stuck on something, and it would be horrible if the cat choked on its own collar.

At 8 weeks she's a baby, so no, I would not. Get someone to check on her to make sure she hasn't turned over her water etc. and spend a little time playing with her. Even better, find someone who will take her for 24 hours, a pet sitter or friend. At that age she could get extremely anxious being left alone that long and you don't want to traumatize her. You would never think of leaving a human baby alone that long, and you shouldn't think about leaving an infant kitten that long, and 8 weeks is very very young to be left on its own. Anything after about 4-5 months yes, but not 8 weeks. These are the responsibilities of pet ownership!

PS - if you do really need to leave your kitten alone, it might be best to do it in an enclosed environment, like a bathroom where she can't get into any trouble/medication/get stuck. or maybe even like something the size of a dog crate, with plenty of food and water and litter.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Archived