It's been a while since I last posted on this site. Several months, I guess. In that time I have dropped out of school again. Just got tired of trying to deal with my social anxiety in that sort of environment, especially around immature, shallow 18-22 year-old college students. Haven't really thought about women too much either; I've never had a girlfriend and I can't imagine a woman ever liking me. I'm skinny, passive, and really have nothing to offer.

So here I am, a college dropout (again) and unemployed. My life has no purpose.

I wish I could get away. I'm always looking at pictures of exotic places online and wishing I was there. I want to travel somewhere. But I have no money and I don't know how. I just wish I could get up and go somewhere. But how?

I'm tired of living this meaningless life.

Life doesn't just happen, you have to make it happen. In today's world, to get most jobs, you need an education, which means going back to college, buckling down and doing something. Have you considered the military? They can give you training in a technical field and pay for your college, all the while covering your healthcare and housing and giving you a steady paycheck. If you have enough college credits already (normally 60+) you will go in with a higher rank (E-3 to E-4 depending on the branch) Not that I'm saying it would be easy or enjoyable, but it's very easy to get stationed overseas if you put in for it. Other options would be to get a TOEFL certificate and teach English abroad. Normally those programs pay for your relocation, and cover your rent overseas. Look around you for opportunities, research everything and anything. Think about what interests you. You want to travel? Think of ways to get paid for doing it. Like I said, teaching English, missionary programs (unpaid obviously) tour guide, etc. Life is only meaningless if you make it meaningless.

I wish I could get away. I'm always looking at pictures of exotic places online and wishing I was there. I want to travel somewhere. But I have no money and I don't know how. I just wish I could get up and go somewhere. But how?

The silver lining in this situation is the lack of commitments you have and that you are young.

The only real thing that is stopping you going anywhere is money. If you want to travel, I can recommend it. I went and did it and I'm a similiar age as you are. I don't regret it for a second. I was shy and have social anxiety and it really opened me up. People who travel are quite a understanding and open minded bunch.

Like LaKing said, there are opportunities out there to get away. With a little research it is definitely doable. Teaching english abroad is a good one. You can also volunteer quite easily without paying thousands of dollars for a placement. I think it's called WWOOF'ing or something like that, where you live and work on an organic farm and get all your food and accommodation paid for. I know people who have done it and rave about it. You will meet a tonne of people and you will make friends guaranteed. You are also at an age (the cut off is 30) were I think you are eligable for working holiday visa's. Maybe that is something to look in to.

I'd concentrate on getting a job, put your time into that rather than beating yourself up. Take a rubbish job if need be. If you are going traveling the job is just a method of getting away and remind yourself of that when you start to get down.

aining some distance

My life has no purpose.

I'm tired of living this meaningless life.

If you go to another location, your thought patterns will still be essentially the same unless you spend some time observing them (meditating) to get some distance from them.

This would be more of a long term benefit to you, rather than gaining some distance from your current physical location.

Try simply watching thoughts as they go by.

This forum is so awesome.. I regret not knowing about it before.. If the forum had a like option like facebook..I would superlike all the 3 comments above..

Hey John, guys here have given you great advise. i will just say one thing.. In most situations of life we do have an idea what to do.. Its just the fear of failure/change which stops us.. If you feel your life is empty.. You have to fill it.. Suggestions will only help if you are ready to put them in practice.. Putting your thoughts in action is way more satisfying then the dreams even if they are not up to the dreams. Focus on what you want.. studies or social circle..And skinny guys can get great girls too.. On the other side any skinny guy can change his appearance if he works towards it.. U can do what you wish..U have to believe in yourself.. If I were you I would first hit on what fears me most..Once that is done, others will fall in place

John, I recall that you said you were moving out the last time you posted. Did that ever happen? Did it help at all?

Like I said, I dropped out of college again. So I moved back home with my parents.

I look back and it terrifies me how I have not progressed one inch since I graduated from high school in 2003. My social anxiety/retardation has destroyed everything I ever tried to do. Counselors can't help me and I'm tired of drugs.

My life has been a total failure and a waste.

Archived