Open Club  ·  31 members  ·  Free

Travel and Culture

Huntsman Spider (Australia)

OrangeMoon

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I never saw one when i was there. my mates had one in their garage though, so their parents set a trap and put down killer, in case the children were playing in the garage and accidentally got bitten. general rule tho is that they generally don't both u if u don't bother them, and u never see them in the cities.

just looked it up. are you joking me?? what the hell is that thing??? link removed

Curiosity got the better of me and I clicked on your stupid link....I had my head turned and was kinda peeking and holy mother of god, that thing has hair!!!!!!!

A situation like this scares the hell out of me:

or

What if it slid down the stick...seriously

If i am going to move there all by myself..there is no one to call to get them out. It really worries me this..

Those things are the size of a plate! wth, if you needed to kill one you couldn't even smash it. You'd need a gun.

You would get a spider on your hand. No big deal. They can't hurt you.

No way, i have a serious case of arachnaphobia..

i can handle the smaller ones now..even some of the bigger scary 8cm housespiders here..really terrible..i choke and get all weird..but i am not sleeping once they are dead.

If i really move there..i would really have to get myself some help for that on forehand...i would hate it coming between my plans

Nothing wrong with huntsmans. They're not dangerous at all. They just give you a bit of a shock when you see them crawling on your bedroom ceiling sometimes.

I'm more afraid of funnel webs and red backs.

As another Aussie I second this..my daughter used to hold huge hunstmans in her hand when she was 3 and 4, one time one ran up the wall with a full size cockroach wriggling in its mouth! but redbacks...eeerk even though they are slow and not aggressive we had hundreds of them in our backyard out west before we moved to the city....and funnel webs are sited few and far between, although if you have a backyard pool (many do)you often have story to tell about finding a funnel web floating in a bubble in your pool, still alive some days later! this is not unusual as they are ground dwellers and the males are always on the move in search of females....

what are red backs? some sort of black widow?

A redback is like a black widow but bigger & much more poisonous. I remember having a ton of them in my pool. It used to freak me out.

Funnel webs are one of the most dangerous spiders in the world. They hide in your shoes if you leave them outside!

Archived