Getting a dog/puppy...breed discussion

belimbruglia

I'd like to get a puppy for our family and I (think) I've decided on the Coonhound breed. Specifically, I want a 4 1/2 month old female Treeing Walker Coonhound. So far, I've met with her twice and the second time I brought my two little kids.

She is still a baby, so she is harmless, but very timid. Once she is with you and is "loved on", she is fine, but I notice no signs yet of aggression or even much playfullness with people. Just wondering if anyone knows this breed and how these dogs are once they are in a confortable loving home.

Also, any other breeds people want to reccommend for a family with small children.

Thanks!!

Go to a shelter and check out some of their dogs there. you'll be saving a life and will save a lot of money. It'd also be great to teach your children about the importance of rescuing.

That said, I don't know much about the coonhound breed, but hounds are very good dogs who need a lot of training and work to do (meaning they like to stay busy b/c they are worker dogs).

Boxers are great with children. They are high energy but very protective over kids and know when to be gentle.

How old are your children?

This dog is from a Coonhound Rescue organization which requires an adoption fee for the shots and spaying. I definitely don't want to get some expensive puppy from a breeder. I am open to a mix, but i am picky about the breeds it's mixed with. I love Boxers and would consider a boxer mix. My kids are 1 and 4, and Coonhounds have a high pain tolerance and are gentle with children. I also want to feel a little protection at night when the husband isn't home, but a coonhound would probably just bark and then run and hide if someone came in the house, they seem to be somewhat afraid or nonchalant with strangers.

Coonhounds are sweet dogs, but they like outdoors and are very active. Is your family lifestyle going to be active enough to permit outdoor walking everyday and a lot of exercise? If not, you might want to look towards a smaller breed that doesn't require as much outdoor activity ...

I don't have any experience with that specific breed. However I raise pitbulls and contrary to what most believe they are one of the sweetest dogs. I have 11 currently and each one of them are great with my son and aren't aggressive at all. I recommend a pitbull (although I wouldn't recommend one from a Shelter, only a reputable breeder, please don't bash!)) to those with children.

If someone broke into your house, your Coonhound would lick the burglar and tickle him until he laughed so hard he would forget why he broke in to your house in the first place.

haha, yeah a boxer probably would too. Boxers have a mean bark but they are way too gentle. It's said that a "boxer woudl lead a thief to jewels for just a pat on the head". And they totally woudl too.

Thank you SO much for rescuing. That's fantastic!

I don't have any experience with that specific breed. However I raise pitbulls and contrary to what most believe they are one of the sweetest dogs. I have 11 currently and each one of them are great with my son and aren't aggressive at all. I recommend a pitbull (although I wouldn't recommend one from a Shelter, only a reputable breeder, please don't bash!)) to those with children.

I don't judge, I would agree with that when it comes to pitbulls considering how many people abuse those dogs. My husband has a big say in the choosing the dog, and I know he would never want a pitbull, but I LOVE your puppy avatar picture!! They are attractive dogs, and I've heard when raised well they are great dogs.

I don't judge, I would agree with that when it comes to pitbulls considering how many people abuse those dogs. My husband has a big say in the choosing the dog, and I know he would never want a pitbull, but I LOVE your puppy avatar picture!! They are attractive dogs, and I've heard when raised well they are great dogs.

I understand. So many people are scared of pitbulls, mainly because of their bad reps that the media gives them. They are really sweet dogs with such good temperaments when raised properly. All of mine have been raised by me either from the time they were born or from the time they were old enough to be weaned from the mom and I will never own another breed of dog.

and thanks I'm proud of my dogs.

haha, yeah a boxer probably would too. Boxers have a mean bark but they are way too gentle. It's said that a "boxer woudl lead a thief to jewels for just a pat on the head". And they totally woudl too.

Thank you SO much for rescuing. That's fantastic!

It's more for my peace of mind, even if the dog wouldn't really do anything if someone broke in. I had Doberman's growing up, so I always felt safe. She was a wonderful famly pet, but I know her instinct would have totally kicked in if someone were to try to hurt us.

I would consider a Doberman again, but my husband nixed that too. He brought up other children who would come over and their parents' concern.

Anyone know of any smaller breeds that are really low maintenance?

I love pitbulls and htink they're amazing, but tehy have such a bad rep that it makes me so sad. People abuse their power when owning them. And as much as I love that you take such good care of your pits, MS, it makes me sad knowing that more are coming into the world when the pit bull problem is so bad everywhere else. But I commend you for being a caring owner.

It's more for my peace of mind, even if the dog wouldn't really do anything if someone broke in. I had Doberman's growing up, so I always felt safe. She was a wonderful famly pet, but I know her instinct would have totally kicked in if someone were to try to hurt us.

I would consider a Doberman again, but my husband nixed that too. He brought up other children who would come over and their parents' concern.

Beagles are pretty great dogs. Like mini coonhounds! But their temprement is the same--they like to hunt and prey and work and need to be kept busy!

Border Terriers are really good family dogs or so i've been told. I actually considered getting one awhile back but was so afraid my son would hurt him.

I have never heard of an attack on a person by a Beagle.

Not like you ever will. Beagles HAVE attacked and bitten people but you never hear about it in the news because it wouldn't get the publicity that a pittbull attack would. Please, do not turn this into a debate or bash the pitbull post. Any well mannered, calm dog is capable of turning on their owners.

Not like you ever will. Beagles HAVE attacked and bitten people but you never hear about it in the news because it wouldn't get the publicity that a pittbull attack would. Please, do not turn this into a debate or bash the pitbull post. Any well mannered, calm dog is capable of turning on their owners.

I agree...

To the OP, can you tell us your family lifestyle? It's pretty important when choosing a dog. It sounds like you are looking for a dog that is very low maintenance. Since ALL dogs require maintenance that is a tough question.

If you want a midsize breed with a good temperment for kids the only breed that comes straight to mind is a cocker spaniel. They are very easy going dogs that can get adequate exercise thru a rough romp thru the house and they have a very sweet tempermanet. They do have a long coat, however, that will require maintenance such as regular clippings.

I have a dachshund and they are great apt dogs as they are little and can be exercised adequately in small spaces and the smooth haired ones require little to no coat maintenace, but they are notoriously BAD for housebreaking. They always have accidents, and are quite stubborn and do poorly with little kids under the age of let's say about 9.

A true "no maintenance" dog wouldn't exist.

My boxer is pretty low maintenance--I bathe her only a couple times a year and she's got a great personality. But it took a couple years to finally get on the same page with each other to where I know what to expect from her and vice versa. Still, she's perfect for me.

She just sheds A LOT. Gets everywhere. But I don't mind it.

My boxer is pretty low maintenance--I bathe her only a couple times a year and she's got a great personality. But it took a couple years to finally get on the same page with each other to where I know what to expect from her and vice versa. Still, she's perfect for me.

Are boxers really as stubborn as I hear people say they are?

Are boxers really as stubborn as I hear people say they are?

Mine's not. Define stubborness though in terms of boxers?

I've nver really heard that they are. Just always heard that they are high-energy, ready to please, and extremely loyal.

The only thing I can think of when my dog ever gets "stubborn" on is lying down. She learned how to sit, stay, come, walk off leash, etc, within 2 weeks of having her. 6 years later, she still doesn't know "lie down". I can say "time for bed" and she'll stop what she's doing and go to bed, but when I need her to lie down, she won't do it. Has never done it once for me.

Well this is why you have such a harmonious pairing. she is perfect for "you".

Hopefully the OP will give more details on her lifestyle so we can make a good suggestion. It is hard to tell without knowing some good details on a person's homelife, activity level, etc...the cocker spaniel is a good overall suggestion for people who are not very active but they all have their own personality so i can't even give any recommendation 100%.

I mean in terms of like training them and stuff.

Oh god, it took me 2 years to housebreak her. But in her defense, I was dense about dog owning when I got her. When I was growing up, any dog we got was thrown in the backyard and we'd go out there just to feed it and give it water. I knew nothing about raising dogs properly and of course got a boxer strictly b/c it's "cute". It took me forever to get on the same page with Leeluu b/c of how tedious boxer puppies can be. So yeah, I guess stubborn is part of it, but a lot of it has to do with the patience and understanding of the owner.

Training her with commands was very easy. I remember on the first walk I ever took with her as an 8-week-old puppy, a car was coming, and even though we were on the sidewalk, she sat down. She does that every time a car comes now. She's very predictable with that. She's great at sitting and staying by me when I need her to. She rarely goes on leash and I know when she needs to be on a leash in order to make sure she's safe. I dont worry about her with cars. In fact, I live on a very busy road and I always just let her out the front door to go to the bathroom and I stay inside to do whatever. And when she's ready, she comes back to the door and waits till I let her in. She's very good about things like that. I never worry that she'll go out in the road.

Well this is why you have such a harmonious pairing. she is perfect for "you".

Hopefully the OP will give more details on her lifestyle so we can make a good suggestion. It is hard to tell without knowing some good details on a person's homelife, activity level, etc...

I agree. Leeluu is ok that I'm pretty lazy sometimes and don't want to take her out to walk or run around. She's very accepting of my lifestyle; she adapts well to the lack of routine that I have and taht she consequently has.

But some of my clients' boxers MUST have a good walk at least once a day.

Boxers are very good at punishing you by doing something "wrong" in order to communicate with you. When Leeluu is pissed, she does something to my garbage or bed. But I don't get mad at her--I know I've messed up something with her recently and need to fix it. Otherwise, we're very in sync.

LOL, yea. I was chuckling at you when you said boxers were low maintenance cuz i know they can be like you described. but .....YOU love her and she is right for you so its all good. It's like my doxies..to ME they are low maintenance cuz i'd probably BE a doxie if i were a dog, LOL but to many they just can't take 'em LOL

See it took you two years to housetrain her because as you said you were "dense" when you got her which just means you were a novice, and the OP is probably a novice. LOL some breeds are harder to housebreak. Someone ask me about dachshunds! LOL They are the WORST!

LOL, yea. I was chuckling at you when you said boxers were low maintenance cuz i know they can be like you described. but .....YOU love her and she is right for you so its all good. It's like my doxies..to ME they are low maintenance cuz i'd probably BE a doxie if i were a dog, LOL but to many they just can't take 'em LOL

I love all dogs, but doxies are too small for me! I like dogs taht are about 60 lbs or so...not too big and not too small!

Archived