Getting a dog/puppy...breed discussion

belimbruglia

Me too!! I'm too scared of stepping on and hurting a dog that small.

My gma has a doxie and she annoys me so much but I think it's because i'm not used to little dogs LOL

Yes! I'm scared of that too.

Ironically, as a professional dog walker, I have to say that walking the little dogs is much more difficult than walkin the big dogs. The small ones definitely make me earn my money.

Hey belim. I, like you, wanted a type of coonhound. Did all my research and was pretty much set. It would've taken me a good 2 months to save up for the actual puppy PLUS the shipping since there aren't too many breeders on this coast. So I got impatient and started checking the local rescues and found my buddy Copper. They told me they believed he was a redbone coonhound so I was pretty happy. Turns out he's a ridgeback without the ridge. I'd recommend ridgebacks to just about anyone. As long as you have the time to exercise them daily, they're great, he is anyway. He's got a lot of the coonhound qualities. Stubborn, he's a sniffer, and extremely intelligent. He's stubborn, but he catches on very quick.

As far as coonhounds, they do make good family dogs and are patient with kids. Great hunters as well. Buddy had one, but he had to put it down sadly. Great dog.

Glad to hear you had such a great friend in the rescue!. I'm not too familiar with Ridgebacks but have heard nothing but wonderful things about them!

I am as well. Saved a good $1500 lol. Some pups from shelters are such sad cases though. Copper is one. He's got a fear of anyone with something in their hand(s) and water. So if I approach him with a shovel for yard work, he cowers and runs. And I hate bathing him not cause it's difficult, but because he has a look of terror in his eyes. But I do feel 10x better he's with me and not someone who would abuse him.

Thanks all for your input! I can tell my husband I have researched this breed well. I absolutely LOVE those Ridgebacks. They are beautiful dogs. I thought, though, they were bred for fighting lions, so they can be aggressive. I would get one, but anything known for any type of aggression I would be afraid with a toddler in the house.

My lifestyle right now is being home most of the time with the two little ones, the only time I leave the house these days are to go to the store or take my son to preschool. Otherwise I'm stuck here 'cause of the nap schedule and managing the house. We don't go out much on the weekends either (although I wish I could a little more

My husband is a firefighter, so I am home alone at least 2 - 3 times a week, which is what prompted this whole getting a dog thing. I am just loving this Coonhound breed the more I hear about them. We just need to finish completely fencing in our yard and I need to commit to the walks everyday...even when it's cold!

They were bred to fight lions. So far he hasn't shown any signs of aggression. He's actually less aggressive than my golden I had before him. He loves the kids because they're so energetic like him, and he hasn't shown any aggression toward other dogs. He's a pretty devoted and loving dog. But I honestly wouldn't trust any dog alone with a toddler, whether it be a pit or a retriever.

I think you should go for the coonhound, though. You sound pretty set on it I know you've probably read about not allowing them free run of the yard and how they're escape artists and that they become destructive when bored. Take that to heart, lol. I had to learn the hard way.

And a fellow fire service brother. Kudos to him for that.

What is sad about shelter dogs, I can't even go there, I'll want them all. Picking one out of all the sad ones will make me cry because I'd feel guilty I didn't pick all of them. Then if you go to where they sell them for $$$$ its insane I seen like 4/5 year olds saying mommy I want this one (2 month old puppy) I mean that girl is way too little to know what responsible is. They just want it because its "cute" getting dogs is just incredibly sad.

What is sad about shelter dogs, I can't even go there, I'll want them all. Picking one out of all the sad ones will make me cry because I'd feel guilty I didn't pick all of them. Then if you go to where they sell them for $$$$ its insane I seen like 4/5 year olds saying mommy I want this one (2 month old puppy) I mean that girl is way too little to know what responsible is. They just want it because its "cute" getting dogs is just incredibly sad.

I'm not a big fan of people who get puppies for two year olds. Sorry to who i offend, but puppies and babies are not really a good combo.

I understand what you are saying But at the same time, that is the perfect age to teach them responsibility.

My 3 year old helps take care of our dogs and actually knows what he is doing. He knows when they get fed, how much they are fed, he bathes them (Or tries too.. LOL) and he helps walk the ones he can handle.

Archived