Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: "I was raped" T-shirt

Platinum Member

"I was raped" T-shirt

Have you guys heard about this? I was watching headline news, and they say there is an advocate who made a t-shirt with "I was raped" printed on it.

They say she wants to open up dialouge.

Would you guys wear that shirt?!

I don't know, so many thoughts...
    *Wow, she's so brave for wearing that.
    *Could that be dangerous?
    *Wouldn't you feel like a pariah walking around in a shirt like that?!
    *What would be the point of wearing a shirt like that?
    *Wouldn't it be something if they had an "I was raped T-shirt day?"
    *Bizarre

Anywho, I just wanted to know what you guys think.

Thanks!

~Grace

i think thats the dumbest thing to do..........

a t-shirt with i was raped on it? i know people love overcoming the odds but thats a bit much

Platinum Member Clementine orange's Avatar
    Desparately seeking attention maybe?

I don't know - it could be empowering too. I heard that something like 75% of all women are victims of unwanted sexual advances at least once in their lives. Obviously some changes in society need to be made and what we are doing right now isn't working so, try something else.

Being raped is not a crime....but it does carry with it a stigma of psychological and emotional baggage.

It'd be equivalent to wearing a t-shirt stating "My 4 babies have different dads".

While that might be a fact, and a reality that the person wearing the shirt has learned valuable lessons from to become a different person - it is not the first impression that is likely to capture positive attention and interest.

I could perhaps understand someone wearing such a garment at an organised event to promote awareness of rape and sexual assault, but as for being able to walk around the streets in such a t-shirt (if that's what was implied) then I would say there are clear reasons why that is not a good idea. For one thing I would say that young children should be spared from learning of such evils until they are old enough to understand better. And you know that a child will always ask questions about things they see, so it may put parents in an akward position.

Perhaps I'm clutching at straws here, but just something about this doesn't sit right with me.

If a person can somehow get some therapeutic value from wearing such a t-shirt then I couldn't in all conscience say they were wrong to do so. But as to the 'where' they would wear it, I believe that discretion would have to be applied.

As someone who has been thru sexual abuse I would not wear a t-shirt advertising it...i don't want anyone kiddy gloving me (is that the expression?!?!) because of what i have been through...not to mention its a very personal experience...i don't see what would be the point...what would wearing a t-shirt accomplish?

It'd be equivalent to wearing a t-shirt stating "My 4 babies have different dads".
    It's really really not.

And I think this is the kind of thing the maker is trying to work against.

I think that the t-shirt and the surrounding publicity will raise awareness but I don't think that a lot of women/men are going to wear this t-shirt.

I remember reading about one that read "I had an Abortion". The aim was to highlight how many women this issue touches, and that it's more common than people like to make out and not something that should engender shame.

Platinum Member
    That's somewhat disturbing, and I'm not even sure I can articulate why. I would say that generally speaking, I don't like to advertise personal information on my shirt, positive or negative. If it is empowering for someone to wear it, then so be it, but I don't think I would wear it.

I also wonder if some people would even take it seriously. I've seen some pretty outrageous shirts that are supposed to be "ironic".

Platinum Member Clementine orange's Avatar
    Originally Posted by bulletproof
    I also wonder if some people would even take it seriously. I've seen some pretty outrageous shirts that are supposed to be "ironic".
    I think that's the danger - it might not be taken seriously or in the spirit that it is intended. Except, of course, we aren't even sure what it is supposed to be proving either so.
    More appropriate would to be to include a web address with stats or help or something. I don't know.
    The danger is that it trivializes things and/or is seen as a joke.

I do not believe it is a positive statement to reinforce victimization of oneself, or a situation.

"I was raped" - it's a victim's cry. It screams to those that like to control or abuse, you're possibly an easy target.

"I overcame the victimization of rape" - quite another statement.

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Give Advice
Ask For Advice