I've been in the online dating scene since 1998. So far I've met some pretty cool people and yet I've met some creepy liars too. But what is your take on online dating/relationships? Cuz a lot of my friends have told me not to do it anymore (which I'll still go online to find love anyway). and a lot of them say that online love/ldr's never work out. What do you think?

Online romances can work - as a few members of this board will tell you.

LDRs are hard work - but can also work, given that you are both committed, good communicators and have a connection.

Have your wits about you, and if something smells fishy - question it.

Apart from that - there is nothing necessarily wrong with them.

i think it could work and it's really up to you if it's working for you then why not? my cousin got married about a year ago to someone she met online and i havent heard of them having any trouble at all. if you find it's working then go for it.

you could also try going out with your friends too. just do a mixture and hopefully you'll find someone. but ya just watch out for the creeps.

best of luck

Online relationships can the same work and not work like any offline relationships.

Online people can lie the same as any offline people.

What I liked about the online thing, is that all you can do is talk and you get to talk alot and get to know each other better (with honest people) before getting physical.

I met someone online, and the thing was that neither of us was looking for anything, it was just in a chat room. Yes we have to do an LDR now and its extremely hard, but we are working on that one.

I think online dating opens doors, but heed this warning: Do not put yourself in a position where you try to qualify every guy/girl you meet online as a potential partner. When you come accross someone, let the relationship unfold naturally. Take it from a guy who has experience w/ this stuff; you should try to meet the other person face-to-face as soon as you can in order to avoid unrealized expectations.

I have also been doing the online dating thing for a while now. Well at least trying to meet people that I could start a relationship with.

Personally I think that it can work out and so can long distance ones, but it takes more work and effort because you won;t see the person everyday. You could go weeks or months before you see them, but if you are truly into that person you can make it work.

I think that online dating is almost the same thing as meeting someone in a bar or anywhere for that matter. You don't know them from hole in the wall. Same thing goes with the online world they could say that they are someone that they aren't. But that is the chance you take.

For some people online dating is one of the main ways to meet people. I say go for it if you are comfortable and willing to put in th effort. But just be careful and really get to know the person you are interested in.

It's not so much the forum of the relationship--it's the people. Anyone can post a profile--heck, some can do it on their lunchbreak. But are those people serious about checking the responses, answering them? Serious about making effort and taking time to get to know someone? Sometimes, you go "fishing" on line, post a profile on one or more dating websites to see how popular you are. But these fishers can be playing games, or just be overwhelmed by the whole process.

I know with my profile, I've received as many as 15 emails and whatnot in a day, and that makes it hard to give 15 responses or review 15 profiles. It's not easy to online date, let's just say that!

hmm, well, it's the common thing now for people to say a bar is one of the worst places to meet someone. And judging by the guys approaching me, that's a fair statement.

I guess the place you meet someone speaks volumes--at a volunteer event, a bar, online, the grocery store....

But if you feel a connection, you have to act on it, time waits for no one.

I think most people are game players, unfortunately.

Online dating has its perks and its drawbacks. It can work, but it can also be a recipe for disaster. Online people can lie, they can use it to indulge in fantasies that they aren't serious in, be doing it for the fun of it and have no interest in writing back to you. On the other hand, you can get to the heart of a person and its easier to open up.

I think the key is to not take it seriously. Don't expect anything, so if something happens it will be a pleasant surprise.

Monetlisa - was the pun intended?

I'd recommend online dating...virtually impossible to meet people otherwise.

I agree.

Just because someone is in a church - it does not mean they are a nice person.

The place where you meet someone is no real reflection as to what the person is actually like.

i'm gonna try to see what i can do online and prove people wrong that ldr's or online love can't happen.

Can't happen? Problem is thats not something you can prove. If it doesn't happen for you then people will just say you didn't meet the right person.

It can happen, its happened a lot. Thing is its more dangerous because of the animity of it all. And its easier to get lost in the fantasy element of it all.

Oh, and by the way, the Bible can be very harsh, can't it darkblue. Crucifying, plagues, that poor Job who was inflicted with everything under the soon despite never doing anything wrong.... Bible has a lot of good messages, but a lot of confusing stuff in it as well.