i haven't spoken to my father in six years, and a few weeks ago i found out my paternal grandmother died last year on valentine's day, and my father didn't even try to call.....now, today my mom and me drove by the house he lived in, and it appears that he still lives there. we did a check on his phone number and we got it, so i can call him. the question is: should i? he's been out of my life for so long starting a relationship now would be difficult, i know, but i want to ask him if he wants "in" on my life or not. i have a perfect oppertunity, too: my school play (that i am in) is opening this week and i can invite him. but again.....should i? is it too late to even ask him? what should i say if i do call?

please help me out because if i were to call him today is my only free day b/c of rehersals all week!

First you would have to know why he hasn't keep in touch with you after all these years to his very own daughter? Was it his decision or someone else in your family? If not his decision, then ask yourself how would you feel if he declines? However, there might be a chance that he might decline b/c of work or other obligations. But it's very important to know why he hasn't keep in close touch with you all this time...which sounds strange b4 making any form of future contact.

I would call him. If he says no then you are in the same situation as you are now. If he says yes then you can see what develops. Just don't get your hopes up too high, but I think you may regret it if you don't take a chance.

i tried calling the number that i got for him, but it said that the phone number has been disconnected..... i'm shaking so badly right now, i feel sick from nerves and i feel releived that i didn't have to call, but i'm crying a little: i prepare for something, then it ends up not happening. ALWAYS how it is. i really did want to do it and get it over with, and see if i could see why he hasn't called in so long....but......i can't do it now. not unless anyone here knows richard g sampson of covina, california and is willing to give me is phone number.

• 2 weeks later...