Um.. how can I make this short? Btw, I didn't know which forum to put this in.

My ex and I broke up in Oct 2004 (8 month relationship), got back together Dec 2004, broke up again in the same month....... and now, just yesterday, he called me out of nowhere after not speaking for 2 months. Nothing at all was said about getting back together..... although on the phone and during school there was some heavy flirting.

My parents are FURIOUS that we are speaking. First they told me I have to quit my job so I don't try to go and see him on my way home (???) then they said they are driving me to/from work, to/from school, and threatened to shut off my phone....... JUST BECAUSE he called me!!

We broke up the first time because he wanted to be alone, he did hurt me a lot but I still felt for him, and still do. But what am I supposed to do now that my parents won't let me take the car to see him? They insist that hes going to "hurt" me and I'll marry him and live in poverty and eat tree bark and plastic cups out of the garbage. I can't believe they're telling me who to date when I am 18 years old, graduating this June. I am so upset. Can someone offer some input? Thanks in advance.

Just tell your paretns, that if you wanan risk ebign hurt agian that thats your problem and you apreciate their concern but they cant run your life. Also tell them that if they wont let you take risks in life, then your never gonna learn anything. Life is all about risks, some pay off and some dont. But for them to tell you that your gonna live in poverty and etc .. I find a little disturbing. Has this guy done anything besides breaking up with you for them to say this?

Say to your parents that you really appreciate their concern for you but that now you are 18 and legally an adult it is time that you starting making adult decisions. Tell them that you understand they have your best interests at heart but this is a personal matter between you and your ex that the two of you must work out without interference. Assure them that no matter who you go out with, you will not get pregnant accidentaly and that you will ensure your diet is wholesome and adequate and will not include anything inedible. Especially tell them that you will not quit your job and that it is no longer appropriate for them to coerce you into doing something by threats about cell-phones etc.

Say all this calmly, without tears or hysterics, and in a way that will begin to convince them that you are mature enough to handle your life.

You need to decide whether or not you want a relationship with someone that constantly changes their mind. You are 18 you are an adult, no one can tell you this guy is a loser and force you away from him. (at very least they can try but you don't have to listen) If your mind is made up that this is the one, do what you feel is right.

I would be concerned about his instability and the fact that you are changing your life and it doesn't seem like he is changing anything about his. I went through this at 19 and I lost everything I had to someone else.

I would urge you to think very carefully before you get married or wind up pregnant by him, you have to decide what is right for you and maybe looking at other options through dating is not a bad idea.

• 1 month later...