Clogged/infected tear-duct???

So my right eye's tear duct is EXTREMELY swelled up and sore...

I don't know if the tear duct is clogged or if it's infected or what. It definitely seems "gooey-er" than usual (sorry). I've tried putting a hot wash cloth over it... I wear contacts but they've been out for a while...

Anyone have any suggestions/know what I could do about this?

Merci boucoup.

Edit: I haven't slept in my contacts or injured my eye in any way....

It hurts make it stop. Ugh

I had something similar, my dr said that it should go away on it's own in a few days but if the pain is unbarable or it feels like it is getting worse he gave me some anti biotics for it and it went away within a day or two

Have you had a "sty" or medical term conjunctivitis before? If you wear contacts (like me) you are prone to them just because of your fingers near your eye. Take it easy on the contacts for a few days, and it'll go away. If it persists longer than 3 days then go to your doctor.

Have you had a "sty" or medical term conjunctivitis before? If you wear contacts (like me) you are prone to them just because of your fingers near your eye. Take it easy on the contacts for a few days, and it'll go away. If it persists longer than 3 days then go to your doctor.

no, I've never had that before...

Gah, go without my contacts? crap.

what kind of antibiotics? I have a bunch left over from some other infection a while back... I could try them...

Don't do that!

Do not self medicate. You should talk to a doctor. Never use old medication, you can only make things worse if the medication is not specific or strong enough for an infection. It could cause resistance and make it hard to get rid of it.

Don't do that!

Do not self medicate. You should talk to a doctor. Never use old medication, you can only make things worse if the medication is not specific or strong enough for an infection. It could cause resistance and make it hard to get rid of it.

my drug-program on my palm pilot says it's for infections and bacteria... but okay... I self-medicate a lot... I have a lot of useless medical knowledge... was going to be a doctor. That was a bust.

gahhh i hate going to doctors....

Okay, so cool washcloth, no contacts, no fingers near eye....got it..

if you do touch your eye, wash your hand straight away.

and if it doesnt start getting better in a day or two, go to the dr, you may hate going but it's better to get it treated

my drug-program on my palm pilot says it's for infections and bacteria... but okay... I self-medicate a lot... I have a lot of useless medical knowledge... was going to be a doctor. That was a bust.

A drug program may say its for infections, but if your infection is from a specific bacteria that drug doesn't work against, it will be useless. There are some broad spectrum antibiotics, but they should only be used with doctor supervision. Besides, it could be a eyelash or such and its not really infected, just irritated.

DONT REUSE MEDICATION!!

Even if is seems like it could work - do NOT reuse meds! It's the worst thing you could do. I am just guessing that is is conjuctivitis and you should really just go to your doctor or clinic to make sure. I mean it's your eye!! Your vision is worth a few minutes at a doctor's office right? I know what you mean about going without your contacts - I HATE wearing my glasses during the day but sometimes you need to. But don't resuse your meds.

cool washcloth

Warm washcloth. I just had a stye about 2 weeks ago. It goes away in a few days -- it does hurt a lot, though. Don't touch it, because you might transfer the bacteria to your other eye or even into your cornea, which would be bad (i.e. blindness).

Warm washcloth. I just had a stye about 2 weeks ago. It goes away in a few days -- it does hurt a lot, though. Don't touch it, because you might transfer the bacteria to your other eye or even into your cornea, which would be bad (i.e. blindness).

That is if its a stye. It may be something else. If she has not had styes before its a good thing to speak to a doctor and make sure.

Archived