I thought some people might find this story inspirational.

I have a co-worker who has taken leaps and bounds in a few years. When she first joined the team, she was rigidly vegetarian, and her mantra was "if it doesn't go in a microwave, I don't cook it". Fast forward a little -- she loves cooking new things from scratch, and she regularly goes to the steakhouse.

Now I'm not sure what motivated this change, but I bet her husband (boyfriend at the time -- no surprise he married her as quickly as possible) is THRILLED! Once, when we were talking about saving time in the mornings, she said "sometimes we shower together". Some guys have ALL the luck!

So if people can change for the worst, they can change for the better too!

Or maybe one shouldn't think of changes in terms of "better" or "worse". Maybe one should think of changes as "increasing compatibility" or "decreasing compatibility". If a girl were to put on a ton of weight and not want to do anything, that would decrease compatibility with someone who was active, but increase compatibility with someone who was not.

Just food for thought...

I agree that cooking is nice, but what's the deal with the vegetarian? Do you really think her new found taste for steaks is what motivated her husband to marry her? Are you saying that men don't like vegetarians?

Just wondering ...

Not to miss the forest for the trees: yes, it is nice when couples work together to increase their common ground, and compromise for each other. But it has to be mutual and reciprocal, otherwise there is potential for resentment.

I don't mean to imply that one eating habit is better than another, but on the whole, a man who eats meat is going to have a much easier life with a woman who also eats meat.

While many people are very tolerant in terms of their eating beliefs, a meat eating man does not want to be with a woman who will try to change him, or who will not cook any meat. As a meat eater, I don't feel full at all if the entire meal is just vegetables.

In this particular case, the girl involved is a GREAT catch -- she is the type who makes a good WIFE, not just a good girlfriend. She:

- thinks in terms of "us" not in terms of "me".

- is NOT materialistic, and couldn't fathom him spending more than $2k on the ring. Compare that to many women who don't want to show up for less than 10x that amount.

- is committed to staying in great shape, though was already very good looking.

- is rational

- is even more passionate about the relationship now that they are married, compared to some who think their job is over once "I do" is exchanged.

- is a team player -- they split chores very equitably and she doesn't seem demanding.

As a vegetarian, I don't find this story inspirational. Also, my boyfriend has no problem with my vegetarianism and loves my cooking. Before we were together, he was basically subsisting on frozen burritos. Now he eats delicious and (usually) healthy meals almost every night that I have prepared for us.

By the way, isn't your girlfriend a vegetarian, Foglifter?

While many people are very tolerant in terms of their eating beliefs, a meat eating man does not want to be with a woman who will try to change him, or who will not cook any meat. As a meat eater, I don't feel full at all if the entire meal is just vegetables.

Have you tried any of the meat analogues (fake meat products)? Honestly, there is some great stuff out there. For example, I make fake chicken fajitas, fake meatloaf, fake BLTs...I realize the adjective "fake" takes aways from my verbal descriptions here, but they really do taste yummy.

Archived