.... of the dentist. This afternoon I'm getting a cavity filled. I'm scared because I hate the dentist. And because I'm 37 weeks pregnant and feel like I'm suffocating when I lay on my back for more than 10 minutes. And because the pregnancy increases pain sensations. I'm even scared of the needle that comes before the dental work! I'm such a wimp.

Is it okay if I take an extra strength tylenol before I go in?

Yes, tylenol is allowed in moderation (I've taken about 3 regular strength pills so far over the 37 weeks when I had headaches). Ibuprofen is not allowed.

Yeah, I feel ok, thanks for asking. Just having trouble sleeping but no aches or pains.

If the dentist is going to be anaesthetising you, I'd advise against it.

Or ring the surgery and ask someone there.

I called and they said it's ok. I hope they give me a lollipop afterward to make me feel better...

If you have a hard time laying on your back for more than 10 minutes, then ask them to give you a break to sit up periodically. I used to work as a dental assistant and we'd often do that for patients with back problems.

Your gums get more sensitive and bleed easier during pregnancy, but I'm not sure if the nerves in your teeth themselves would be any more sensitive than usual.

Ask them to numb your gums before the needle with a topical gel. It will help take the edge off.

I would ask your doctor/midwife about the tylenol.

BellaDonna

Hazey, can the dentist wait for a few months?

M was at the denstist last night. She has a chipped cavity. They don't want to do any major work in the first or third trimester as some of the drugs pass through the placenta.

Check with your dentist before he/she starts to make sure they thing you are safe that way.

When I worked in dentistry we always saw pregnant women at all different stages for fillings. However you have to be very careful to avoid x-ray exposure and many pregnant moms would opt for white composite fillings instead of silver amalgam fillings because the silver ones contain small amounts of mercury.

But the novacaine/lidocaine from the needle is a small amount and is "not known" to cause any problems for a mom or baby. There's not much research in this area though. Patients who require valium, psychiatric drugs, or nitrous oxide gas, or general anesthesia for their dental visits should definitely wait though.

BellaDonna

Yes, tylenol is allowed in moderation (I've taken about 3 regular strength pills so far over the 37 weeks when I had headaches). Ibuprofen is not allowed.

Yeah, I feel ok, thanks for asking. Just having trouble sleeping but no aches or pains.

Interesting re the ibuprofen. Didn't know. You deserve at least a lollipop - might be one of the last ones that doesn't end up in your pocket after "mommy can you hold this for me?" ;-)

update: I survived. We decided not to use anything for the pain since the cavities were small. There were just 4 little ones and I felt some pain but it was brief. The most painful part was the bill - $300 for 10 minutes of work!

Thanks everyone.