im sick to my back teeth,,

i mean i have a 1st class degree, loads of ambition but i cant get a gd job in my chosen field because i dont have enough "EXPERIENCE" as they keep saying....

what can i do,, i cant get the chance to get experience so how the hell can i ever have experience?

i wish i was a woman or summat then theres the option of sleeping my way into a good job!

has anyone had the same problems,,,, i thinking of a major career change, thats my only option!!

mmm i know but that is impossible to be honest.. im trying to find a product design/ engineering job... theres no other way to really get my foot in the door... and the current job i have now is only going to limit (pigeon hole) me when i come to find a new job,

some of my friends have got jobs thru sheer luck but ive had no such luck and have been trying now for nrly 2 yrs.... theres just no way to turn...

and to make things worse my g/f walked out on my the other month... i just cant keep facing all this rejection!

sorry if that sounds abit lame but i just cant get out of the situation im in

hwy whatsthestory - like the rest of us, I'm sure the suggestion I'm about to make won't be the easiest, financially, but if you can find some temporary support....is there a way you could offer to "learn" and gain experience from a company in the capacity of INTERNSHIP? Ya know, basically, work for free....just for a while?

Well I have the same problem and I'm a woman and no one offered me to sleep with someone....heh....otherwise i would be governer of National Bank!

lol

No, I don't know the solution except applying for jobs that suck but that give basis for job you want in the future.

For example my friend was working in huge supermarket on reception and she gained experience in working with money. So thanks to that she got a job in a bank few moths ago. And in a year or two she'll be personal bankar (she has no uni degree).

'locke'-- im not sure what you mean by "with the state",, the area of work is in consumer products.. not state owned... i think i know what you mean! thanks for the advice but not sure if that applies to my area of work!

im my line of work,,, theres the mundane,,, job and the gd job/ area,,, in order to get into the gd area,,, you cannot stay in the mundane (where i am) area for too long! and ive got less 2 months to find a job as graduation is looming and so will the competition!

internship could be a possibility but not sure i could afford the lack of wage!and again it would be very difficult to do, as i would also have to live away from parents due to location

i guess ive got some serious decisions to make!

thanks for your advice

In my home state of TN, you can get a job from food prep in a prison to designing websites to being a police officer. There are tens of thousands of government jobs in each state. Each one can have a fairly fast advancement rate, so new ones are always opening up.

I assume that in the UK, there are jobs in the government that require the skills that you've learned? Have you looked to see if any are open and if the government is hiring for them.

it sounds like you're going to have to get more inventive. do you have a friend in that field who can give you a recommendation? I agree with the internship idea, work for free for a while, and then at least you will have the experience to break into the field. Would it help you to get an extra degree or certification to get into this field?

Well better to ask for stuff than to pick up some stuff as STD's...lol

Don't be modest, you're Awdree Hepburn... something from Tiffany should be expected;-)

Oh yeh - good points....good points!

Oh I'll remember this for next time. And I'll be sure to show you all my new expensive jewlery....

i know what you guys are saying!

it definitely is who you know, not what you know!

i think ive got to a point where im actually not too sure what i want anymore!

im not sure what i want and i think ive become disillusioned with everything!

its really hard to make a decision like 'further education etc' when im unsure!

Hey there,

I ran into the same problem. I worked all through college, I was in no position to do an internship. And I wish I took advantage of my college's Co-op program because you do get paid and there is job placement after the Co-op program is over.

So, all through college I bartended and my degree is in Psychology. An area in which experience is paramount. So, after getting my Master's, it took me a year and half to find work. You need to change your attitude just a bit. You need to be persisitant and perhaps contact a head hunter or temp agency to help you find work. Plus, your first job is probably not going to be your dream job, usually folks fresh out of school start from the bottom up. The competition is FIERCE out there. If anything else, volunteer in your degree area.

I am planning to do that in the very near future. I want to get more experience in another area of psychology. Hang in there and keep trying.

2600degrees, mmmm pasionate...... i really am at a point in my life where im not sure what i want and what makes me tick,,, dont get me wrong i love things like personal fitness, football (soccer that is), hiking and travelling, and i guess i do love design....

i guess ive answered ur question there... but my life did revelve around my ex for over 2 yrs.... i need to really think about what i want ... and i know that my job and career is only an aspect of that......

when you have done a degree and you have been told that you "will do this type of job and be this type of person" then the only person who meant anthing to you runs away.. it plays with your head!

anyone know how to get to the route of the issue!... how to honestly find what makes you happy,, i almost want to get hypnotised or something in order to figure myself out!

kellbell, i see where you are coming from... in order to do what you have done,,, you need to be sure that that is what you want.. i guess im scared of failure and making the right decisions... i just darent throw caution to the wind i think! gd luck to you and thanks for the reply.

r-rider- gd for you you are an exapmle of success against adversity... "excavator girl" i like it, its got a good ring to it! lol

"i guess im scared of failure and making the right decisions."

Oh, I definitely know this mentality all too well. You will feel different when you get meshed in with how life works. This is how a student IMO is brainwashed to feel and be afraid of and I feel it starts in high school.

Life is about making mistakes and wrong decisions. It is how we learn about ourselves and about life in general. You can very well get a job in your field and absolutely hate it. And that has happened to folks I know. It is my belief that college is a little too "sheltering." You are young enough to make the necessary changes if and when needed.

You need to grab life by the horns. I know it can get a bit daunting or a bit discouraging but never give up! You can do it.

kellbell i see your degree in Psychology isnt going to waste.

you are right i just need to stop thinking so much and not be put off by knock backs.. easier said than done... i only wish my g/f was still here! but i guess she got fed up of my negativity and uncertainty too! (i hate to say)

about college-- u are right. its aconveyor belt... they are currently brainwashing the next lot, filling them with false hope and nicking all thier money! lol

p.s. will u be my councellor?? how much do you charge... could be a gd little side job lol

LOL, I spend so much time here.

But in my experience, in high school, teachers, mentors, counselors, etc, make such a big deal about choosing your life paths, careers, colleges, I mean they put the fear in you pretty good. I mean, do not get me wrong, it is important to focus on what you think you want to do for the rest of your life, to set goals for yourself and the like...but geez.

It is okay to make mistakes and make wrong decisions. Believe me, it will not be the end of the world. I can say that with great certainty. But in your case, I would find a head hunter, perhaps a temp agency and talk to people. Get yourself out there. And do you have resume together? Perhaps have someone look at it. I know I have seen books at the library on how to really jazz up your resume. Maybe you can do that.

Unfortunately, hunting for a job is a numbers game. Much of the time, it is luck and being at the right place at the right time. That is why I say keep going, be persisitant.

ye ive spent alot of time on my cv/ resume! but at the end of the day ive found its an experience thing! they want someone 20 yrs old with 25 yrs experience!

i will keep trying.... i get offers for job interviews but they are in completely the wrong area for what i want to get into... similar to the job im in at the minute... the experience that im gaining now is and will not help me!... ive given myself a deadline anyway... then i will change my career direction! im sick of feeling worthless !

takecare and thanks again

Go to a temp or staffing agency. They are probably the best way to get your foot in the door. For me, I was in the situation. I graduated with high grades and tons of volunteer experience, but only fast food job experience. I handed out almost 100 resumes, with not a single response. So I went to a staffing agency, landed a great paying job in a day, and now am very happy. Good luck.

im sick to my back teeth,,

i mean i have a 1st class degree, loads of ambition but i cant get a gd job in my chosen field because i dont have enough "EXPERIENCE" as they keep saying....

what can i do,, i cant get the chance to get experience so how the hell can i ever have experience?

i wish i was a woman or summat then theres the option of sleeping my way into a good job!

has anyone had the same problems,,,, i thinking of a major career change, thats my only option!!