When does Labor actually start?

Dilly

I figured I could google, but you guys are just so great!

Does it start when contractions become 5 minutes apart? So when someone says they were in labor for 29 hours, does that mean from the point they started having contractions five minutes apart?

THANKS!!!

No, no contractions for me at this time. But thank you for the advice. I was just curious because you hear so many people stating how long their labor is/was. I've heard some say their water broke and 2.5 hours later, baby was born. So for that example, just 2.5 hours? What about for the woman I heard about last night who had a c-section after a reported 29 hour labor process? When did their labor really start, medically speaking? I mean, I could state that I went into labor at 28 weeks because I was having BH contractions ("false labor") then. There has to be some objective measure of when labor really starts. Otherwise, it's based on patient reporting and just very prone to scatter.

Labor doesn't usually start abruptly for most people...it is different for everyone. For me, weeks before I started having those "braxton hicks" contractions...it feels like your belly is being squeezed..it gets harder...that is a contraction. It is your body practicing. (pretty cool eh?) when those squeezes start happening in a regular pattern..and do not stop. THAT is labor. It gradually goes from mild squeezes, and as time goes by...they become more and more intense...for me, an hour or less before the big moment was the most...difficult to deal with. The time is also different for most people too....I think I was in labor LONG before I went into the Doc...I just waited until the contractions were five minutes apart. Mostly, because once you go to the dr...sometimes you are monitored and have to stay in bed..depending on the physician. I wanted to walk around as much as possible to hurry things along. Sitting in a bed doesnt help the whole process along.

Another indicator of impending labor is losing the mucous plug...it means the cervix is dialating and things are starting to happen! I also started cleaning my house like a madwoman...a real burst of energy that was almost like an animal preparing her nest for the new baby.

I would think that it starts when there are regular contractions noticed. For me, when I say I labored for '14 and a half hours before I had a CSection' that is counting when the contractions were about 10 minutes apart. I did not go to the hospital though until 9 pm, even though I noticed them about 2 pm that day. The baby was born at 4:12 am.

By the time I went to the hospital the contractions were closer to 5 minutes apart. My doctor, this latest pregnancy.... me being concerned because I could feel 'pre labor' contractions or 'braxton hicks' contractions, told me that unless the contractions were regular and 5-10 minutes apart I was not in labor. But, that If i were in labor with regular contractions to head to the hospital. I hope this helps =-)

Head to the hospital. I usually kept track from the time I arrived at the hospital. About 8 hours. The worst part is the pushing part (that was about 45 minutes for me, both kids same push time). That's hard labor, probably what the epidural helps you avoid the pain of.

So doctors likely don't really have a concrete measure of when labor starts I guess? I mean, it sounds like when the real contractions start or when one experiences quite a few BH contractions in one hour (4-6 depending on the advice one gets from a doctor). Interesting.

I talked to a lady this weekend who reported on having a child at 10 months and then another who indicated she had a 29 hour labor. I just wonder how objective the reporting was/is. But you know, I guess it is highly variable because for some, there is no clue of impending labor until the water breaks. For others, dilation of the cervix may start well before labor occurs. INTERESTING, very INTERESTING. About this mucous plug, does it really look like gelatinous mucous, or is it more like solidified clump?

Sorry to be graphic, but I am very curious?

Well, firstly, some people want epi's..some don't. First baby, most of us go to the doc or the hospital way early because we don't know what the heck is going on...it depends where you want to labor. I had my second child with a midwife in a home birth setting..not in a hospital..a birth center. It was the best...(for me) First time was a horrible experience in a hospital. Labor is usually defined as when the uterus is working toward the birth. Like I said..it starts out slowly.....like a brewing storm.(ha ha) there is not a difinitive moment..there are just signs. The mucous plug...you will know it when you see it...believe me. It is the lovely "cork" that has been plugging your cervix..and serving as protection to block bactiria...etc from getting into the uterus. It can be a solid mass...(usually clear yellowish), tinged with blood..or you just have lots of weird stringy mucousy discharge suddenly. (sorry folks...not for the squeamish)

Labor starts out slow and builds..so it's not like a person is usually hit with it like a ton of bricks. To me it did not feel like a cramp..more like a squeeze that just got tighter and tighter, rythmically...yes the last bit is intense...but once you have the baby in your arms...you know it was all worth it.

I can't wait!!! Thanks for the details, I really have wondered about that plug! I don't know, just knowing it's going to be kind of odd-looking is helpful enough. The way you describe the onset of labor really is great! ---QUOTE To me it did not feel like a cramp..more like a squeeze that just got tighter and tighter, rythmically... ---It certainly is one of the best descriptions I've heard and I even went to child-birthing classes. I have heard also about the nausea and just stomach upset in general.

Ohhhh, only a few more weeks.

I think the fear of the unknown really can make things worse. Childbirth classes are the best ! I did not take them before my first baby...and it was horrid. Horrid because fear actually makes the contractions hurt worse...being tense (hence the breathing and visualizations in class) The uterus is a muscle of sorts..and when you are tense...it is as well. That is why people want medication and epidurals...when the medicine takes effect you relax..and in effect it speeds things up for some people. But anything you administer during the birth process affects the baby. My next two babies were born naturally with no medication or medical interventions..and they were much better experiences.

As for the nausea and vomitting...I had neither...luckily. One has enough to deal with without barfing ! Good luck to you, I hope you have the support you need during the birth...and remember...like my mom told me...your body was made to do this ! Some people have unforeseen complications...luckily I did not. Take good care of you ! Even after baby is here ! I am happy for you !!!

I've heard some say their water broke and 2.5 hours later, baby was born. So for that example, just 2.5 hours? What about for the woman I heard about last night who had a c-section after a reported 29 hour labor process?

Your water can break long after labour begins, or for some women, they have to have their water broken for them as sometimes it doesn't happen naturally. And it is possible for a woman to be in labour for 29 hours and then end up having a c-section as the baby can become distressed -- my colleague was in labour for 36 hours only to have to be sectioned. I counted my labour basically from when my contractions began, which was about 7pm, my water broke at about 9.30 when I was examined by the doctor and I was then wheeled down to the labour ward, and I gave birth at 6am, so I suppose mines was 11 hours. I was induced though so my labour was shorter than most natural first-time births.

I had to go to the hospital three times, the first one was two weeks before I was induced to have a bunch of tests done. They strapped me to all the monitors and noticed I was having regular contractions and asked me if it hurt...they didn't. So I really don't know the answer to how long labor usually is. Mine was easy to tell because I was induced.

The contractions are definently different though. They do become painful sorta. Way more intense. They took my breath away, it was kinda like getting the wind knocked out of me.

I also never lost my mucous plug. The doctor broke my water and man, that was embarrassing. It's not supposed to be but it was. I was resting a couple hours after she had done it and then all the sudden there was a huge GUSH, and it felt like I was peeing my pants. I freaked out and made them unhook me from all the machines and went to the bathroom...it was all over the floor and the nurses shoes were squeeking. I stood in the bathtub for like 10 minutes hoping it would stop but it didn't.

Having a baby is such a weird experience. Luckily the only time I felt woozy or like I was going to throw up was when they put the IV in me. That was creepy.

It's getting close though, Dilly! I wish you SO much luck. How many weeks are you now?

34 and a half weeks, BTR. I think of you daily and actually you were on my mind as one having contractions and having dilated prior to actually having been induced. I like the way you described labor too as taking your breath away and getting the wind knocked out of you. That's so interesting how the water sort of had to sit inside of you first before coming out. I would imagine health care professionals see this all the time. Guess they may have placed a hole on some surface near another membrane like surface that possibly just sort of served as a temporary plug? Interesting. I have a coat hear and a towel just in case something happens at work. I was told only 15% of mothers have spontaneous water breaks. Sounds low, but that's what the childbirth lecturer mentioned.

I was 34 weeks when my water broke, I turned over in my bed at 6 am and felt a warm gush of water ( sorry.. i know sounds grosse) you have time to shower and get to the hospital, so i did, they kept me laying down so the cord would not slip out but i had NO contractions, when your water breaks, baby has to be out within 24 hours so they induced me. Labor started around 1 pm when I felt very strong, sharp pains in my lower abdomen, it helped when i took small breaths, it's kinda like teh way you feel after eating Macdonalds or Taco bell.. but stronger belly pains.lol..my daughter was born at 9 pm. after 3 pushes. It just took time for the cervix to open since I was not in labor to begin with. The meds they gave me put me in labor. Everyone's story is different.. just thought i'd share mine.

Epidural is good, but you still feel contractions, just ligther.

Are you going to try going pain-free or are you for the epidural?

It wasn't the contractions that hurt me at all (after I got the epidural, before that it felt like my hips were being torn apart, lovely I know). In between contractions in the pushing phase I wanted them to come more quickly because I thought it was a hassle to have to wait for a contraction to push.

It was the actual "entrance into the world" that was understandably painful, but that only lasted 30 minutes or so. I didn't get an episiotomy either...the doctor was just sorta rubbing me to stretch me and I was yelling at her to quit it because it hurt. I didn't have any trouble healing at all. It was painful for a few weeks but not horribly so.

I don't know. My goal is to go without for as long as I can, but I don't really want to boldly state that I am opposed to an epidural. I'm not really sure that it matters and in the end, comfort is key as it allows mom to keep pushing rather than tensing up. If I get an epidural, I will let you know because I can see that pain and tension go hand in hand and tension means a tightening of muscles and restraint rather than relaxation that the body needs to ease into a contraction.

Nice to know it heals up nicely and that the need for an epesiotomy was avoided perhaps by the rubbing ... God, who would have ever thought that rubbing could help so much? Guess the extra blood flow to that area produced by teh physical stimilation aids in the prevention of a tear which might be more likely if the patient lacked a blood supply to that area.

My cousin was just "in labor" for 30 hours and that means from the time her water broke and she was in the hospital, even though she didn't have contractions for quite a while.

Don't want to scare you about the epidural, but I was planning on getting it too until I saw what my cousin just went through with it... not fun when it doesn't work properly. That was probably the hardest part of her delivery (she ended up having a c section anyways). I am totally freaked out to have one now!!!

The epidural didn't go off without a hitch on me either. But I still say it was worth it. I also went in with the idea that I would try to avoid it if possible. I got another form of painkillers which made me feel higher than a kite and wore off too soon, and I tried dealing with the pain for a while, but all in all I was happy.

I'm not going to lie, when they put it in, it hurt like hell. My mom was in the delivery room with me and almost passed out just watching. But then I felt relief almost immediately. A few hours later the feeling in my right side came back and it hurt really really bad...they ended up coming back and putting some other sort of medication in it and laying me on my side and it took care of it. Another creepy thing about it is they had to give me a catheder but I honestly couldn't feel it at all.

It IS painful but don't feel guilty if you do decide to go that route.

Also, I did tear a little bit. But it still healed very very well.

Medically speaking, Labor actually starts when these componants are present:

1. contractions that are regular

2. cervical changes: a. effacement, or thinning of the cervix

b. dilation, or progressive opening of the cerviix

These three things need to be happening before it is considered true labor.

Hope this helps!

I'd rather not have one because I hope to give birth at home and do things naturally. When you have an epidural, you're pretty much paralyzed from the waist down, because you can't walk around. You have to lie on your back. With no epidural, you can move into different positions - squatting, standing, on all fours, to let gravity help to pull the baby out. You just have more control. Also, having an epidural does increase risks, so that you have to be carefully monitered. There are lots of reasons that women prefer not to get epidurals. But then, some women feel alot more pain than others. If I feel the need to get one, then I will and I won't feel the least bit bad about it.

Giving birth is such an incredible achievement... regardless of the birthing choices you make.