My weight situation just seems like a spiral..

Summer 2006 there was me gym adicict 150 lbs heathy skinny as anything. Now here I am after I got married I just diddn't bother with the gym because I have a full scedual. But I'm looking at ways to make time. I have now come to the conclusion I have a SEVERE weight problem. Back in august only 6 months ago I was 150 now I am 210. I am so embaressed about my weight gain. I have been confort eating because of a misscariage. It just seems to keep getting worse and worse. at Christmas I was a size 16 now I'm a size 20. But what do I do? I want to get back to the gym but I'm scared of going on my own as everyone else that is there is so skinny and I feel like a fat pig... I also have no friends in the area as all my friends moved away ie. USA, up north etc.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

~S.

Edit: 5ft 7ins

Hi there. I'm sorry you are feeling so bad about yourself. Gaining weight is never easy for anyone. But you seem motivated to live a healthier lifestyle, so you can change the way things are.

You have been through a lot of stress lately. My advice would be: Don't be so hard on yourself, yet at the same time also make a commitment to take better care of your health.

It's not uncommon to stress-eat. After my miscarriage pizza was my vice.

Try to keep a food journal for a few weeks and write down what you are eating and when you are eating it, & how you feel at the time to see if you can notice any patterns.

Keep your home stocked with healthy foods. You don't need to join a gym to get in shape, although it works well for some people. There are a lot of good exercise DVDs that you can do from your own home.

Try not to put yourself down. If you have negative emotions, it will only make you more stressed-out and it will make it harder to stay on track.

BellaDonna

Hey SilverManic,

My doctor recommended Paul Mckenna 'I can make you thin' a week ago. So far its been an extremely positive experience. If you go on amazon you can see how positive the response is. The book and CD cost about 6 pounds so not bad!

As for confidence going to the gym, why don't you start by walking and join the gym when you feel a little more confident? Are there any evening classes you can join near you? You might meet new people who share your interests.

hey Silver!

ok girl! you have got to get off your own back! lol

ok..so you gained some weight...now i dont know your entire story..but it sounds to me that you have had a TOUGH couple of months... of course you turned to something to comfort you!

Start slowly... start with drinking more water, then start cutting down on your carbs.. then start walking... etc etc.

I dont think you should avoid the gym cause "skinny people" are there.. you have every right to be at that gym ..who knows.. you may make a friend as well.

and just so you know ..i TOTALLY understand the frustration of weight gain and weight loss... - it can be an exhausting experience... and extremely emotional.

hugs!!!!!!!

I have gotten into the comfort eating thing too...not even hungry but eating like I am starving...not good. I dated a man for a short bit who had this problem too..emotionally based...I think I fed into his addiction. Seemed harmless. I started going to an all womens gym a few years ago....I felt VERY comfortable there until I felt better about me. I changed to a regular gym after they closed, and I was into body-sculpting and weights. But I know how you feel.....you need a workout buddy !!! And if you do go to a regular gym, do not feel self-conscience....you are there to make things better for yourself and to be heathier...anyone who would look at you funny is an idiot. You can do it ! I need to do it too ! Got to fit into a pretty dress for my wedding ! Wish we lived closer !!!! Take care !

I really want a gym buddy. I know I need to cut down on all the candy I'm eating it's just hard because I've been feeling so emotionally down and like something is missing. My husband is back off to the USA at the end of april as his visa is up. Then we start the visa process for me which can take a year and a half (worst case senario?). I also just had a miscarriage. Which is why I let myself go.

I am going to talk to my nan to see if she will go to the all female gym we have right near me. Because I'm worried about going back as I know a lot of the people since I was a kid (most of them have kids that were in my grade at school).

I'm also worried that I won't fit back into my wedding dress ;_; I only got married in october and I was a size 14 then!

Try link removed.

It's an absolutely free weight loss website which combines great advice with weight, nutrition, workout and goal trackers as well as an outstandingly supportive community and countless other motivational resources.

I have been a member for a couple of weeks, and even though I am not trying to lose weight I have lost 4lbs just by following their exercise suggestions (no gym membership? no problem!) and carefully tracking my food intake. I must say, it was shocking to realize how much I consumed once I started counting all the calories!

I used to weigh about 125lbs until several months ago, which is quite a lot considering that my current weight is 92-94lbs (considered ideal for my height and small frame), and resorted to asking my physician for advice. He said that in order to lose weight I should stay away from all carbohydrates including fruit, avoid saturated fat (no Atkins monstrosities), eat plenty of green vegetables, drink lots of water and exercise. Avoiding all "fake" food, such as protein shakes, breakfast cereal bars, fat-free anything, ramen noodles, etc. made a big difference to me. Basically, as long as you stay in the 1100-1500 calories/day range, you will lose weight.

I lost a lot of weight relatively quickly (2 lbs/week is considered healthy) on the South Beach Diet, but I was also running more than 20 miles a week. You don't need to buy the book, just look up the diet online if you are interested.

For me the biggest problem was giving up completely unless I was doing everything perfectly. For example, if I ate out with friends and exceeded my daily calorie limit, I'd declare the diet a failure and go on to order a brownie with ice cream, as well find all the snacks in the house as soon as I got home. I'd think to myself, "It's too late now, might as well forget about all the effort I've put in so far, I'll start again on Monday." Realizing that this attitude was having a horrible effect not only on my weight loss efforts but on my self-esteem as well, made a huge difference for me. I occasionally work as a personal chef, and every once in a while I like to indulge my boyfriend with 5-course gourmet dinners. I used to think that I'd have to give up that pleasure if I wanted to keep my new figure--nowadays, I sit down, enjoy the food and have a great time, and run an extra 3 miles the next morning to get back on track.

Losing weight is never easy, but once you start receiving compliments from total strangers about how great you look, it all becomes worth it. Good luck!

Edited to add: I also had a full medical checkup including bloodwork done before I started losing weight. I would definitely recommend it if you haven't had one already. Also keep in mind that hormonal medication or antidepressants can make losing weight a whole lot harder for some people.

Dont' worry about the skinny people at the gym.. they are probably too busy looking at themselves in the mirror

The hardest part if getting back into it and sticking with it... perhaps if you have a class you can join it will make you go and stick to it?

I know that when I have a workout with a group or a scheduled class i make myself go... whereas if i say "I'm going to go to the gym, Monday, Wednesday and Friday this week, its harder for me to go.

diet is the most important thing.. so if you can rid your house out of all things you may be tempted by... and bring yout lunch to work/school because then you don't be tempted to buy lunch... and then you may end up buying junk.

I keep a bottle of water at my desk to try and stop me from snacing throughout the day.. A lot of times when we think we are hungry we are usually just thirsty.

good luck!

I know a gym can be intimidating some of the women I've talked to and what I've read but also the all female gym you mentioned is becoming very popular around my area.

I'm very sorry to hear about your loss, that's very hard on your body. We don't all keep the same ideal figure all the time. Take one thing at a time and I always say, keep everything moderate. From eating, to exercise, don't go overboard in either direction unless you're competing!

I have a sweet tooth so it's very hard for me but once a week I'll eat an ice cream or eat a pizza. Otherwise I try to eat as much vegetable as possible and eat lower fat, non-fried and basically healthy but tasty meals.

It also helps to just know exactly why the food you're eating will benefit (and vise versa) your body as a whole. I think the past week I've ate a whole bag of carrots at work just munching on them as a snack and have noticed my skin is already looking cleaner! Every bit helps

Take care and good luck! Keep it fun!