Where could I find info about rights of Part-time Employees?

Hello Everyone!

Do any of you know a good site that explains what rights a part-time employee have in general?

My dilema is that because the company I work for is merging, I might be let go, so I need to know if I have rights when it comes to collecting unemployment etc.

I did speak with the HR department and all they said is that they don't deal with that kind of situation because I am a part-timer, also, I need to find out myself wether or not unemployment applies to me.

Well, since I am a bit clueless about what's going on, and no help is being offered at work, I wouldn't mind good advice from this forum.

All advice and opinions will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Lilu

Sorry, I can't help with the specifics, but I will say in this situation you should ask and get a nice letter of recommendation from your current manager. If nothing else this should help you get your next job should you lose this one. Generally, if you're being told you may lose employment due to structural changes in the company you can ask for and expect to get a good letter of reference.

You will need to check the specific laws for your state and perhaps the specific city you live in.

Do a google search for your state's official website. The name of the department will vary (in Ohio it's "Job & Family Services" where you can get info on Unemployment compensation), so you may have to poke around a little bit. Google search terms to try: "state of Ohio" (or whatever state you live in) "unemployment" "jobs"

Once you find the appropriate department, there should be some FAQ's or even a phone # for a local office you can call to find out more.

That's a good question, but I think because you're only part time that you will not be able to receive unemployment. There was a time I was in your situation and I didn't end up being let go, but everyone I asked said if you're only part time, you will not receive unemployment checks.

I am an employer in Florida...and part time employees are not eligible for un employment....or for the same benefits as "full timers"...such as paid vacations. These are things all part timers need to be aware of when agreeing to "part time" status. I'm not sure of what other state laws are..but I am PRETTY sure it's about the same....

I do agree with the others however that you should look into

getting a letter of reccomendation for future reference.

Bets of luck to you!!!