Best way to get around a drunken email?

I think we've all probably done it... gotten drunk and sent someone an email we later regret.

I was feeling incredibly depressed last night and had nobody around, so I emailed a good friend (who also happens to be the girl I am crazy about). I was drunk and it was a very depressing email. I didn't spill the beans on how I feel but I regret it now - because it was drunken and almost entirely negative. If she cares about me in the slightest it will be upsetting for her to read.

I was wondering what the best way to deal with this is. Is it simply to apologise when I get correspondence back from her?

Yeppers.........Do the right thing, and tell the truth and let the person know you had a few to many and might have made a fool of yourself. More then likey they have done the same thing and will understand

I know I have........felt pretty stupid, being humble is the key.

Good luck

Kuhl

Agree - quick email to say to ignore the one last night. Try to make it perky and upbeat if possible as well, and apologetic. I wouldn't be too bothered about getting that kind of email, and actually it might work well for you, she might want to talk to you about the stuff you've written - give you a chance to open up!

Good luck.

Weeeell, I got a phone call from her. I didn't even see it was her when I answered. I apologised profusely and she said not to, she's glad I emailed her and should feel free to do it whenever I'd like. Then we had a bit of a talk about the things we like to talk about and it was all very good.

So I guess something good did come out of it Still, didn't manage to give her many hints regarding my true feelings. I simply said "there are some things I still want to do before I go", as I'm leaving the country in four months and I know I'll regret it if I don't let this girl know how I'm feeling before I go, or leave it too late before I go.

Alright I'm happy to hear things worked out for you man, but I simply do not agree with others saying that you should have said that you were drunk and that you regret it. Easy to say don't you think? And yet if it worked out in your favour I wonder if that would be kept hidden. If you had sent her an e-mail appologizing, you do need to account for the fact that you DID say those things and not beat around the bush making it out like it was the booze that made you say it.

The fact is that you said it because the booze helped to not hold you back from saying it and not because you didn't in fact want to. To put it bluntly, I'm betting those thoughts didn't enter your mind that moment in time in the instant you got drunk. From my experience, these things can continually come up and that's my point. If anything is ever said, don't take it back ever. It shows you don't have a lot of character because you don't mean what you say. Now when you admit you said something and now feel it was a poor choice, you've admitted it. You don't hide that you think its a poor choice by saying it was because I was drinking. "Ya that's it. It was the booze that made me do it. I'm sorry." See what I mean?

Glad to hear things went well though and that she sounds like a very supportive friend.

You're right JimmerJammer, I didn't apologise for saying what I said. I apologised because it was her that had to hear it - I needed to vent at someone and I happened to pick her. Had it been anyone else, I would've apologised to them because it can't be a particularly nice experience to read what I wrote.

Still, I don't really regret it at all, seeing as I got a phone conversation out of it