suicide legal question

I'd submit that if somebody is worried a future employer might do a check and find out then that somebody is really not all that interested in suicide. If on the other hand you're attempting to determine if a potential employee has attempted it then it may be a handy thing to know.

I'd suspect that it would make getting life insurance (and perhaps other sorts of insurace) very difficult to get. There might even be questions when applying for insurance that preclude anybody having attempting it in the past.

I certainly wouldn't make the assumption that somebody could attempt suicide and it not be noted somewhere, better assumption is to think that it would be recorded somewhere somehow.

Suicide is not illegal in Canada and neither is attempted suicide. Aiding or abetting someone else's suicide is.

"In the United States, suicide has never been punished as a crime nor penalized by property forfeiture or ignominious burial.[citation needed] Historically, various states listed the act as a felony, but all were reluctant to enforce it. By 1963, six states still considered attempted suicide a crime (North and South Dakota, Washington, New Jersey, Nevada, and Oklahoma). By the early 1990s only two US states still listed suicide as a crime, and these have since removed that classification. In some U.S. states, suicide is still considered an unwritten "common law crime," that is, a crime based on the law of old England as stated in Blackstone's Commentaries. (So held the Virginia Supreme Court in Wackwitz v. Roy in 1992.) As a common law crime, suicide can bar recovery for the family of the suicidal person in a lawsuit unless the suicidal person can be proven to have been "of unsound mind." That is, the suicide must be proven to have been an involuntary, not voluntary, act of the victim in order for the family to be awarded money damages by the court. This can occur when the family of the deceased sues the caregiver (perhaps a jail or hospital) for negligence in failing to provide appropriate care. " - link removed

Actually, if the police have to pull a guy off a bridge, wrestle with him, cuff him and haul him off, it might be a matter of public record.

It all depends on the situation.

I do know that legally, a suicide attempt allows the police to intervene against your will.

I'm pretty sure that you could sue if employers or insurance companies got their hands on this information and made a decision based on it.

The only exception might be that when you're filling out the form for life insurance, there might be a question asking whether or not you've previously attempted suicide. If you lied and put "no", and then you died from a suicide, they could refuse to pay out to your family.

But employers and health insurance companies are not privy to that information.

I'm 100% sure that you don't have a criminal record. You would have been charged for a crime. Then you would have been taken to court and you would have had to enter a plea of Guilty or Not Guilty. If you haven't been through that process, then you don't have a criminal record. To put your mind at ease, you can always go to the police station and ask for a copy of your record.

• Like 1